997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Hankook V12 Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 12:06 AM
synergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to behold
Hankook V12 Tires

I just put a set of Hankooks on my 997S today. I don't track the car and figured why not give them a try. I go through tires very quick, especially in the rear...I have such extreme camber because my car sits very low.

Compared to my previous PS2's, I was really surprised by what feels like a smoother ride. The tire noise is also much quieter than the PS2s. I also took a couple fast corners and they seemed to grip fine for my driving style.

Oh, and you can't beat the price....all 4 for $950! I hope they last longer than 5k miles!

Old 02-03-2012, 05:50 AM
drsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant future
When I sold my 997TT it had 11K on the V12's and they were at 50%.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:22 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by synergy
I just put a set of Hankooks on my 997S today. I don't track the car and figured why not give them a try. I go through tires very quick, especially in the rear...I have such extreme camber because my car sits very low.

Compared to my previous PS2's, I was really surprised by what feels like a smoother ride. The tire noise is also much quieter than the PS2s. I also took a couple fast corners and they seemed to grip fine for my driving style.

Oh, and you can't beat the price....all 4 for $950! I hope they last longer than 5k miles!

good info...thanks....

in that price range you might want to consider the super sports as your next set...then would like to hear your thoughts of a comparison between the two...

but lets hope not for at least 10K miles...

good luck

Old 02-03-2012, 06:57 AM
CCns23 has a spectacular aura aboutCCns23 has a spectacular aura about
I had Hankooks on my last Cayman and experienced the same as you. Less road noise and a much smoother ride. However, the grip of the PS2's is far far superior. But, if you use the car as a daily (like I did) the Hankooks are a great alternative for the price point.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:58 AM
terpsred has a spectacular aura aboutterpsred has a spectacular aura about
I love my V12 Hankook's they are very compliant for everyday use, but still have a grip level that allows for spirited driving. The price can't be beat!.. They are not the best during really cold weather though so I picked up a 2nd set of wheels and tires for the winter months. But for 3 season use they do the job very well. I've got about 5000 miles on mine and they look almost brand new.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:03 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Had V12's on a 2008 Corvette and had the same reaction, great daily driver tire, especially for the money. Glad to hear they act the same on the p-cars.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:11 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
it is not camber that kills rear tire prematurely, it is toe. reduce your toe and tires will last much longer. my car has now -2.7 deg front, -2.3 rear camber.
as of tires - i drive on Z1 star specs tires on a street, in 235/275R18 sizes and I like them a lot, imho they are much better than V12s.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
utkinpol is right. Toe is usually the killer. When lowering your car at some point it becomes difficult to adjust the toe. Others on the list have gone to adjustable rear toe links to correct the issue. Without tracking and a proper alignment I would think you could get decent miles out of your new set. I put 10k on a set of PS2s and they still had life left in them when I put the new MPSS tires on last summer.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:38 PM
itspol is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the info..

Old 02-03-2012, 05:56 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
They are very popular with us. Certainly a good "bang for the buck" tire. They are very compliant when new because of the more open tread design. It does a lot to absorb bumps - especially against your worn out prior set. Rain grip with them is actually quite good.

They are not at the performance level of the PS2, but are not at the price-point, either. For the money I prefer the Sumitomo HTR Z III for dry grip. If you live in a rainy climate, I do think the Hankook is a better play.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 02-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Silverblade is infamous around these parts
No 19 inch rears in thevSumitomos, just 18 for 997?

Old 02-03-2012, 11:14 PM
synergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by utkinpol
it is not camber that kills rear tire prematurely, it is toe. reduce your toe and tires will last much longer. my car has now -2.7 deg front, -2.3 rear camber.
This is great info, thanks! I will go to a good alignment place and see if they can help me with my Toe situation. For those in the Bay Area, is Custom Alignment in Mountain View still the best place to go for extreme lowered Porsche's?

Old 02-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by synergy
This is great info, thanks! I will go to a good alignment place and see if they can help me with my Toe situation. For those in the Bay Area, is Custom Alignment in Mountain View still the best place to go for extreme lowered Porsche's?
I'll be interested in hearing more about your experiences with the V12s over time. I recall that they need some miles (around 500?) before achieving full grip. I'd like to find out more about the V12s performance on the track from others as well -- I've read that they may not be as grippy as the PS2s, but at half the price.....

I've used Custom Alignment and they're excellent. For Porsche alignments, I've also heard that Manni at Livermore Porsche is great.