997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Is there a trick to removing the coolant cap?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Scoper
Is there a recall or a TSB that covers this? I just called my local Porsche dealer and the SA said that there was no recall on the cap... (mine ends in .03)

Ron
Regardless of the number of revised ineffective parts, Porsche won't issue a recall. They just issue a new part number and hope forums like this one will inform Porsche's customers that the part they have is defective and they need to buy a new one.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:15 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
My coolent cap starts with 996 ends with 44 weird does that mean its not even the right cap?

Edit ends in .03 lol whoopsie

Last edited by carrera997re; 02-06-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:12 AM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
Originally Posted by carrera997re
My coolent cap starts with 996 ends with 44 weird does that mean its not even the right cap?

Edit ends in .03 lol whoopsie

They all start w/ 996 but the latest updated version ends in .04.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:30 AM
dolce is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dadio
Regardless of the number of revised ineffective parts, Porsche won't issue a recall. They just issue a new part number and hope forums like this one will inform Porsche's customers that the part they have is defective and they need to buy a new one.
Key word here is 'defective'. If this is a known issue, Porsche should step up their customer service and provide the replacement at no cost to the customer. my 2c

Old 02-09-2012, 08:29 PM
gray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud of
I was able to remove the cap without resorting to channel lock pliers. The solution, gloves with rubber pads. I was able to grip it firmly and loosen it. I notice small leak on the grooves of the cap. Filled it with 50/50 Porsche coolant to the minimum and the new 04 coolant cap. Let see how it goes.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:47 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Guys....thanks for this thread....just went t Porsche and to buy my replacement cap. btw...how tight do I put it on....I just tightened as much as could with my bare hands.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
Originally Posted by lowpue
Guys....thanks for this thread....just went t Porsche and to buy my replacement cap. btw...how tight do I put it on....I just tightened as much as could with my bare hands.

That's all I did. Crank it down pretty good though.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:33 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lowpue
That's it...you want to make sure you can loosen to remove when needed.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:12 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
thanks guys

Old 02-13-2012, 06:10 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
I was completely unaware of this and just saw this thread. I had noticed the pink crust last week and just thought that was normal since the level was ok. Just shows how invaluable these forums are. Thanks for the replies, helped more people out than probably responded to this thread.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:19 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Just changed mine today i also had the old one and there was pink crust around the tank. Cost me 32bux for the new cap

Old 02-15-2012, 08:03 PM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
Another +1 to you all. I too had an 03 cap, and just ordered a replacement. I did not see any signs of coolant leaking and mine was easy to remove. However, I'll air on the side of caution and pop the new one on when it shows up next week. Thanks guys.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:36 PM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
Nobody likes to spend any extra money if they don't have to. I can remember my Dad replacing his "Stant" radiator cap every year or two on his cars. What appears to be happening is the rubber O ring at the top of the cap wears out. We should all be thankful that Porsche updates their parts instead of keeping everything the same.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:17 PM
See-ya is infamous around these parts
Lots of leaks

Based on the notes of this thread I just replace the expansion cap. I never had any problems until I decided to add water while at a DE event where the temperatures were running at 106F and the reservoir was well below minimum. While cold, I just added coolant up to the min line and put the new cap. I tried to put Teflon tape, but it is like performing surgery. Later I'll go and go for "a ride" to see if it leaks afterwards. My leaks were not coming from the cap though My leaks were coming from the overflow tube. What was explained to me is that the the cap has a valve and I may have broken it when I removed it while hot at the DE event (bad idea). So, I am hoping that this takes care of it. Everytime I would get home after a good drive, I would find a small pool of coolant underneath the car.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:10 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
the dealer replaced mine for free when i complained that I thought it was leaking..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is there a trick to removing the coolant cap?