997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Is there a trick to removing the coolant cap?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 06:25 PM
See-ya is infamous around these parts
New Cap - still leaking

I took the car out for a quick drive. Came back and turned it off. Came back to check it about 15 minutes later and the pool of coolant was beginning to form. So, no idea why it is leaking and where from. It still looks like it is coming from the overflow but from somewhere else too. I was trying to avoid taking it to the dealer and hoping the cap was it since it is the only thing I had touched. The car doesn't overheat or anything. Stays around 180 all the time. Bummer.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:17 PM
oadams is infamous around these parts
Thanks

Thanks for the information. I will be heading to get a new cap this week.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:32 PM
New cap doesn't hurt, but

Mine was not the cap. I am suspecting it is the reservoir. I filled it up to the min line while cold and it lost everything I put in it. Check out this page. My leaks exactly in the spots this Porsche is leaking.
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...sion-tank.html

But, by all means, change the cap. I don't know if I imagined it, but the car seemed to run happier with the new cap.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:55 AM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Ok, mine is a .01, and I checked it yesterday, and there doesn't appear to be any leaks, nor has the car ever leaked anything. (Knock on wood)

Do I just have the extremely old version??

Old 08-09-2012, 08:30 AM
New cap doesn't hurt, but

Mine never leaked until I opened the cap during a DE event to make sure the car was ok. It was 106F and my coolant looked low...if I would have left it alone I would probably would not have a leak. I don't have a way to lift it so I am taking it in Monday. I think that the reservoir has a crack at some level because my coolant stays on the same level when it is cold. AND, if I burn gas and let it cool off, it doesn't leak either. If pull into the garage and turn it off, it leaks now. So, don't worry about your 01. I have not had any problems with this (knock on wood too). A friend has an 01 turbo and he has had pretty good luck as well (looks like yours but lapiz blue).

Old 08-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Coolant Cap

Just an update. It was not the cap....it is the reservoir tank which is cracked and apparently they do crack and I must have cracked it when I removed the cap because it was super tight. So, I dont think they have to be super tightened because the cap has like a valve mechanism to handle the pressure already. The dealer quoted $650 to replace it .....

Old 08-15-2012, 11:59 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lowpue
Guys....thanks for this thread....just went t Porsche and to buy my replacement cap. btw...how tight do I put it on....I just tightened as much as could with my bare hands.
Cracked reservoirs are a common issue. My '02 went at 60,000.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:40 PM
sameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to behold
is this the right coolant reservoir part for my 997?

I couldnt get the cap off so cant tell which version cap it is

Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Robocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really nice
I have the cap ending on .03 but I don't have any leaks.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Re: is this the right coolant reservoir part for my 997?

Hi Sameerg,
The part number is on the top of the cap. You don't to take it off.
Now you said 997, but the reservoir is 996.106.057.03. That is exactly the same reservoir I have on mine and the cap is the same too. The cap number does start with 996.106.447.00. That is what came with the new reservoir when mine cracked or I cracked it during the DE at Putnam last year. You need to replace it with the .01 cap. If the picture is from a 997, they are clearly using the 996 reservoir. Hope that helps.
I bought a new cap...and now I can't find it (somewhere in my garage), but the leak was coming out of the reservoir, not the cap. They are hard plastic and it is not infrequent for them to crack. You may have to have the car running, shut it off and then see where the leak comes from.

Last edited by See-ya; 07-03-2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 07-04-2013, 07:37 AM
sameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by See-ya
Hi Sameerg,
The part number is on the top of the cap. You don't to take it off.
Now you said 997, but the reservoir is 996.106.057.03. That is exactly the same reservoir I have on mine and the cap is the same too. The cap number does start with 996.106.447.00. That is what came with the new reservoir when mine cracked or I cracked it during the DE at Putnam last year. You need to replace it with the .01 cap. If the picture is from a 997, they are clearly using the 996 reservoir. Hope that helps.
I bought a new cap...and now I can't find it (somewhere in my garage), but the leak was coming out of the reservoir, not the cap. They are hard plastic and it is not infrequent for them to crack. You may have to have the car running, shut it off and then see where the leak comes from.
I do not have any leaks at all..... clean garage floor. But was just alarmed to see the coolant being low yesterday. I am going to get to the dealer tomorrow for a new cap though.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:18 AM
soccerTOOLsu is infamous around these parts

After reading this thread I check and sure enough my coolant is below MINand my cap is the .01.

Looks like a minor enough upgrade to do immediately. Order placed.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:10 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Had a cracked neck on the expansion tank replaced two weeks ago. Part was $800. Labor was two hours at $200/hour. Plus the scheduled oil change. It was a $1,600 day.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:05 PM
997_Toronto is infamous around these parts
Where exactly on the cap is the number? Mine has a large print number ending in 01 but without the . before the 01?

Old 07-17-2013, 06:30 PM
vg247 has a spectacular aura aboutvg247 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
Where exactly on the cap is the number? Mine has a large print number ending in 01 but without the . before the 01?
If you look from the top down here's what the .04 on the cap looks like on my 997.2 car

Attached Images   

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is there a trick to removing the coolant cap?