997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Hiding your Plates on Images posted on the Internet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Simple, if it makes you feel better do it. It's not a perfect world. I can tolerate someone screwing with my car but I'd never tolerate someone screwing with my family.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:53 PM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by dallascajun
OK, my wife and I have gone back and forth on this one, so I thought I'd put the question out to the group and get your thoughts on it.

Her Thought Process:
* Don't show your car with plates on the internet as it is a personal security issue as people can look up your personal info (address, etc) for either theft or other internet crimes.

My Thought Process:
* It doesn't matter is my plates show up on the internet because hundreds of people see my car/plates everyday on the road (and can/have take pictures if they so please) and therefore can initiate the same type of criminal activity just as easily.

Am I missing something? How careful are you about posting pictures of your car(s) with the plates being visible (not blurred/hidden)? If you do hide them, what is your reasoning?
Cajun, I believe the correct response should have been, "yes, dear.."..

I'm not sure about the rest of the country, but I know that here in NC some high-end auto dealers search the web to determine where the high-end cars are garaged (it may be through the DMV's website, it may not be - I'm not sure). They then know where to focus mailers, invitations to events, etc. I got that from a trusted employee at my servicing Porsche dealer. That being said, blocking your plate in a photo posted on the net seems somewhat futile.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:07 AM
Atomic is infamous around these parts
The wife is not happy Noooooo BODY is HAPPY!! Had to change my post from earlier which showed my tag.....even thought the tag is registered thru the office address??

Old 02-06-2012, 06:28 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by krysFly
PARANOIA

if anyone thinks there are thieves lurking on this forum, looking to steal your newest mod, should check in a mental institution.
Anyone can "lurk" this forum or any other forum for that matter. Plenty of thieves posting boggus for sale ads have already been black listed over the years. As for hidding your plate, why risk it by not hidding it ?

Old 02-06-2012, 06:44 AM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by NorthVan
It doesn't matter to me, I have never covered them. I can get new plates for $20.
Yeah and spend 2 hours waiting in line at the DMV to do so, I'd rather blur.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:11 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Started blanking plates to appease my wife, now it's habit.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:23 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MBENZF1
Yeah and spend 2 hours waiting in line at the DMV to do so, I'd rather blur.
Nope, 1 call to an insurance agent, no questions asked....instant new plate. In fact the most time this takes for me is the time to swap the plates.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:29 AM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Nope, 1 call to an insurance agent, no questions asked....instant new plate. In fact the most time this takes for me is the time to swap the plates.
Why are you switching your plates so often? So your insurance company contacts the DMV and the DMV ships you new plates? So I'm assuming you'd be waiting for the DMV to ship them to you? I don't know how you'd get instant plates. Although I don't live in Vancouver.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:24 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MBENZF1
Why are you switching your plates so often? So your insurance company contacts the DMV and the DMV ships you new plates? So I'm assuming you'd be waiting for the DMV to ship them to you? I don't know how you'd get instant plates. Although I don't live in Vancouver.
I haven't changed my plates at all, 5+ years on my Porsche, and 8 years on the Touareg. I am just saying, if you want to change them here, call an insurance agent, and he will bring me a set with in the hour, $20 fee, and no lines.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:37 AM
richard181 is infamous around these parts
So I guess your wife is not on facebook or shop with a credit card. Licence plate is the last of your worries.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:08 PM
stream41 is infamous around these partsstream41 is infamous around these parts
Being as it takes literally about 6 seconds to do this in Photoshop or similar software, I'm not sure why you wouldn't do it

Old 02-06-2012, 05:04 PM
krysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by stream41
Being as it takes literally about 6 seconds to do this in Photoshop or similar software, I'm not sure why you wouldn't do it
6 seconds.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:08 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dallascajun
OK, my wife and I have gone back and forth on this one, so I thought I'd put the question out to the group and get your thoughts on it.
Setting aside the issues of 'security', which are a matter of personal comfort level, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the obvious. Many people have issues with insurance. This is particularly true of scenes with their car on track, but I suppose some of them even worry about including a picture of their plate along with discussions of any other use of our cars but taking the kids to school in a snowstorm.

I have no basis for comment on whether that reflects real policies that lie behind their uh... policies. But I'll bet some of them are right.

Gary

Old 02-06-2012, 05:17 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by simsgw
Setting aside the issues of 'security', which are a matter of personal comfort level, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the obvious. Many people have issues with insurance. This is particularly true of scenes with their car on track, but I suppose some of them even worry about including a picture of their plate along with discussions of any other use of our cars but taking the kids to school in a snowstorm.

I have no basis for comment on whether that reflects real policies that lie behind their uh... policies. But I'll bet some of them are right.

Gary
AHA!! Interesting. So you think Insurers go to the tracks and make pictures of the High-end cars that fly around so they can refuse claims when / if they arise?? Ever thought that Porsche may do the same??

Old 02-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
Originally Posted by simsgw

Gary

/Agree

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hiding your Plates on Images posted on the Internet