997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

1 991....2 american Muscle!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:06 AM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mickfluff
"bad aerodynamics"

new mustang brakes the 200mph barrier... I believe it takes some serious Aero dynamics to do such a thing on a production car....
any official information about that? How much hp?

Old 02-08-2012, 08:27 AM
pjdiii85 is infamous around these parts
"bad aerodynamics"

new mustang brakes the 200mph barrier... I believe it takes some serious Aero dynamics to do such a thing on a production car....
Agreed its an amazing feat. I think they need the extra HP because of it's aero dynamics. With enough power and distance you can push a bus to 200 mph...

Old 02-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
Originally Posted by Docofthebay
I went thru the same mental process before buying my 997s. The camaro and mustang both had great numbers when outfitted the high output engines, but 90% of the Camaros and Mustangs are the garden variety ones. You will see 10 or more of each every time you go somewhere and most will be driven by pimply faced teenagers. I wanted one that was awesome all of the time, no matter the speed.

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner!

The next time you pull up to a busy 4 way intersection, stop and count the number of 911's. Then count the number of Mustangs/Cameros.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:46 AM
richard181 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NC 997
Not likely.. the Ford dealer here is planning to add $20-25K to the MSRP for the first series of new GT500s. I'm sure the local Chevy dealer will follow suit with the new ZL1.
Paying anything over sticker is a joke. Anyone remember the 2005 Shelby?? People paid 20K over sticker for a car that was soon outsdated and underpowered.

There are too many options in the pony car / sports car wars to warrant anythig over sticker. The dealers are just crooks. When you go to trade cars back to the dealer it's just a used car to them.

Just look at the dozens of Boss 302's and Leguna Seca models still available. In a few months the 2013 models will be out, now lets see what happens to the leftover 2012 prices??

Old 02-08-2012, 09:00 AM
PaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to behold
$60,000 FOR GT500 and ZL1 are not likely. Infact, Dealers will add a premium where they will be selling at over MSRP. If you are looking to spend $60,000 for these cars, you will have to wait a while and buy them used.

Second, yest these car will be coming out of the factory at 600+HP, BUT they weigh a ton and a half. In a LONG straight line, I am sure they will be faster than say a Porsche 991 or 997 GT3, but they have no chance around a track. They simply do not stack up.

If you are looking for a cheaper alternative to a 991/gt3/gt2, consider a ZO6 or ZR1. Alternatively you should also consider a GT-R; that is, if you can get over its styling (which I can't).

Mustangs and Camaros are good muscle cars, but can't cut it as sports/race cars.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:33 AM
what muscle cars are supposed to be? cheap drag racers?

Old 02-08-2012, 09:41 AM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
?

"Second, yest these car will be coming out of the factory at 600+HP, BUT they weigh a ton and a half. In a LONG straight line, I am sure they will be faster than say a Porsche 991 or 997 GT3, but they have no chance around a track. They simply do not stack up. "

So if the Zl1 and the GT500 had the same or better lap times then a 997 and 991 what would you say? Because they do... The Zl1 and GT500 are posting lap times at the ring in the 7:40 range...better then 997 cars and closer or on par to 991 cars...

Again not saying they are better cars but not sure your comment is accurate based on what we are seeing.....

Last edited by mickfluff; 02-08-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:44 AM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
?

Originally Posted by Katera
Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner!

The next time you pull up to a busy 4 way intersection, stop and count the number of 911's. Then count the number of Mustangs/Cameros.

Not sure what this proves? Is this to note that owning a Porsche is more of an exclusive club? Just asking....

Old 02-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
Not sure what this proves? Is this to note that owning a Porsche is more of an exclusive club? Just asking....

^^^
It is indeed

Choosing the right car for one's self contains a LOT of variables. Coming to a stop sign and seeing 4 different variations of your $60k mustang, 3 of which are the $26k variety driven by 21 year olds simply does not inspire me. Hey that's me though, others might have no problem being park of the "pack". Even BMW's <which I still really like>, are a dime a dozen.

Porsche gives you:

-Wonderfully powerful engine. Does it have the most HP of anything on the road? No, but its Power:Handeling ratio IMO is one of the best on the road and that's what matters.

-AMAZING handling. I fly around corners like a superhero.

-Completely unique styling that is instantly recognizable from "the pack".

-Long history of racing championships

-Proven track-ability <if your into that>.

-Much less then a Ferrari <C2S> lol

People develop emotional attachments to certain cars. Some growing up it was Mustangs, and there is NOTHING wrong with that, but for me Porsche is exclusive and to which there is...no substitute

Old 02-08-2012, 11:00 AM
I understand...

Ok

but "4 different variations of your $60k mustang"....

you know how many variants there are of the 997 right? Now that's ....

Porsche's are amazing cars, and agree some of your points..... partially why I am also an owner.

^^^
It is indeed

Choosing the right car for one's self contains a LOT of variables. Coming to a stop sign and seeing 4 different variations of your $60k mustang, 3 of which are the $26k variety driven by 21 year olds simply does not inspire me. Hey that's me though, others might have no problem being park of the "pack". Even BMW's <which I still really like>, are a dime a dozen.

Porsche gives you:

-Wonderfully powerful engine. Does it have the most HP of anything on the road? No, but its Power:Handeling ratio IMO is one of the best on the road and that's what matters.

-AMAZING handling. I fly around corners like a superhero.

-Completely unique styling that is instantly recognizable from "the pack".

-Long history of racing championships

-Proven track-ability <if your into that>.

-Much less then a Ferrari <C2S> lol

People develop emotional attachments to certain cars. Some growing up it was Mustangs, and there is NOTHING wrong with that, but for me Porsche is exclusive and to which there is...no substitute

Old 02-08-2012, 11:14 AM
^^^

Porsche gives you:
Well actually Porsche gives you everything. That is why 911 is the most succesfull sports car ever created. This comes to a cost, however, although quite lower that other exotics...

Old 02-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Ok

but "4 different variations of your $60k mustang"....

you know how many variants there are of the 997 right? Now that's ....

Read my post again. I said 4 different variations of the Mustang/Camero at the same intersection at the same time. That was my point that they are EVERYWHERE. I have never seen multiple 911's pull up to the same stop unless there was a Porsche run going on. I see 5-10 Camero/Mustangs everyday on the drive home and quite often more then that. That was my point, not that there are lots of variations but how prevelant they are on the road. It might not matter to some people, but it does to me.

Owning a Porsche 911 is exclusive, owning a Mustang/Camero is not.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:06 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikegr
what muscle cars are supposed to be? cheap drag racers?
lol! Mustangs and Camaros have come a LONG way as far as straight line performance only cars.

They have entered into unheard of territory, historically belonging to a select few.

We can no longer underestimate them. I'd bet you $10,000 (Romney reference) that someday before the end of May, there will be a ZL-1 lining up at a light, next to a 991. And the 991 owner will feel one of two things - superiority, because he owns a Porsche - and that makes him more of a man, or two: inferiority, because he knows he doesn't stand a chance against that pimply-faced kid (who can miraculously spend $60k on a Chevy).

I am not suggesting that either is acceptable. I'm betting that it will happen.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:40 PM
funny... but accurate

Best reply yet......

Originally Posted by jaspergtr
lol! Mustangs and Camaros have come a LONG way as far as straight line performance only cars.

They have entered into unheard of territory, historically belonging to a select few.

We can no longer underestimate them. I'd bet you $10,000 (Romney reference) that someday before the end of May, there will be a ZL-1 lining up at a light, next to a 991. And the 991 owner will feel one of two things - superiority, because he owns a Porsche - and that makes him more of a man, or two: inferiority, because he knows he doesn't stand a chance against that pimply-faced kid (who can miraculously spend $60k on a Chevy).

I am not suggesting that either is acceptable. I'm betting that it will happen.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mikegr
Mustangs are muscle cars, not sports cars. Big, heavy, bad aerodynamics, amazing sound, fancy cars anyway.
I guess it takes 500+ hp for a Mustang to beat a 997S and this only on drag race. So much wasted hp... But since there are many people buying them, i guess i may dont understand their philosophy...
You don't know what you are talking about unfortunately. The Shelby GT500 along with the Boss 302s are excellent handling cars. In fact the GT500 was one of the fastest cars in the Lightning Lap of America. The new 2013 GT500 is going to be bad ***.

Dave

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1 991....2 american Muscle!