997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

1 991....2 american Muscle!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 08:04 AM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Katera
Read my post again. I said 4 different variations of the Mustang/Camero at the same intersection at the same time. That was my point that they are EVERYWHERE. I have never seen multiple 911's pull up to the same stop unless there was a Porsche run going on. I see 5-10 Camero/Mustangs everyday on the drive home and quite often more then that. That was my point, not that there are lots of variations but how prevelant they are on the road. It might not matter to some people, but it does to me.

Owning a Porsche 911 is exclusive, owning a Mustang/Camero is not.
Relocate to Europe. You will see almost none

Old 02-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
What i love is guys like mickfluff ( obvious muscle car owner and doubtful porsche owner) that think anyone cares if they get beat by a Chevy or Oval. Point is you arent going to see people selling their 997's or 991's to get one. Maybe ADD it but not get one.
Its like being a pilot. is not about that its unattainable. Its that so few truly understand the joy of what it gives. Thats something you will never understand.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:12 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
Nice. Agreed.

As a side note, I now want a 2012 GT-R. Had to be now, when they are at 6 figures new... Great... Maybe Nissan should have started off at a 6 figure price tag just like Ford GT and then it wouldn't be called 'just a Nissan'.

Originally Posted by jaspergtr
lol! Mustangs and Camaros have come a LONG way as far as straight line performance only cars.

They have entered into unheard of territory, historically belonging to a select few.

We can no longer underestimate them. I'd bet you $10,000 (Romney reference) that someday before the end of May, there will be a ZL-1 lining up at a light, next to a 991. And the 991 owner will feel one of two things - superiority, because he owns a Porsche - and that makes him more of a man, or two: inferiority, because he knows he doesn't stand a chance against that pimply-faced kid (who can miraculously spend $60k on a Chevy).

I am not suggesting that either is acceptable. I'm betting that it will happen.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:24 PM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
really?

Originally Posted by Squat
What i love is guys like mickfluff ( obvious muscle car owner and doubtful porsche owner) that think anyone cares if they get beat by a Chevy or Oval. Point is you arent going to see people selling their 997's or 991's to get one. Maybe ADD it but not get one.
Its like being a pilot. is not about that its unattainable. Its that so few truly understand the joy of what it gives. Thats something you will never understand.

"guys like mickfluff (obvious muscle car owner and doubtful porsche owner)"

What makes you think that? This thread was never a Porsche bash thread nor a thread about the joy of driving a 911... or how many will sell their 997 to get into a Chevy or Ford. Just a simple thread noting some new cars coming to market that are well priced for what they can do and that the cars noted have closed the performance gap.... How these cars will feel/drive in producing performance levels of a car twice the price who knows? ... Will it be the same experience as a 991, doubt it, shouldn't be at half the price, but would be great if it were! Is it going to be like driving a Oval? I doubt it....But not going to let the brand (fact it has a Ford or Chevy emblem) rule out anything for me at a minimum appreciating the cars.

Few years back I recall someone thinking I owned a Nissan GTR because through all the "it's a nissan" bash threads/posts I continued to respect, appreciate and admire the car for what it was and still is today. A formidable competitor that pushed the envelope and the buttons of Porsche... Maybe the reason the 991 has such great performance today is due to Godzilla and other makers putting out some serious cars! Again, I am a auto enthusiast 1st and a Porsche owner after that.

My 997 below.....and if I owned a "muscle car" I would not feel inadequate. Not sure that term is even accurate anymore regards to these cars to anyone not ignorant to the performance levels they are exemplifying.... such a term often referred to cars that could go fast in a straight line then topple over at even the slightest turn. The cars noted seem to be running though the twists and turns as quick as 911's...and just as fast in a straight line.

Attached Images  

Last edited by mickfluff; 02-09-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Why do I say that? look at your posts? You sound a lot like the ricer civic kids back in my BMW M days were they would post pics of cars on the interweb and say how their neon smoked an m5.

You come across like you cant wait to stick it in the face of the first Porsche owner smoked by one.
Take a prancing horse. Most are slower than some pickup trucks. People think everything is a number. 0-60 1/4 the VAUNTED RING!!! Its not I dont bother attempting to explain, its not worth it. Its like an M car from BMW, most will never even know what an M car is. They dont get it. They are in their current BMW because of a badge.
Like I said same thing with flying, protesting, and heck scuba diving. I dont appreciate scuba diving but I will understand that for some its the pinnacle of enjoyment. I used to care what protesters said and wished I could explain, then I went to war and I didnt care. You cant explain things to some people.
Same with flying, its slower than commercial, its expensive, and there are a ton of regulations. I cant explain why I liked it. I cant explain why i currently don't.

Same with the porsche. I can't explain why I love the car. I cant explain that I dont care you can buy a 6k CBR and smoke me. I dont care that you buy a Mustand with 800hp. Go ahead break the 2 sec barrier to 0-60. I love the porsche because of how I feel enjoying it. Its not about others feeling less about their cars because my car is better in one area or another. I dont drive it to "smoke" other drivers. I drive it because of how I feel driving it, nothing of which has a thing to do with what others see when they see the car. Slow or fast is just fun and puts a smile on my face.

And yeah understand the people that make a car fast because they think they are going to embarrass a person in a higher value/price car. Their world isnt about feeling good in their car is about trying to make others feel bad in theirs. Go ahead see if I care. I think that goes for a lot of Porsche owners.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:44 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
few overly defensive Pcar owners in this thread...
no reason to defend 911's reputation.. or even ur decision to own one.

IMO, Mick is NOT questioning the performance of the 911 or stating that Camaro/Mustang would be a great replacement for 911.

He is simply stating that american muscle cars have come a long way in terms of power, look, and value (price for overall performance)..

and its true.

chevy and ford is, again, competing with each other in HP war and on the tracks.. just like in the early 70's.. and us ,consumers, are benefiting from it. Yay !

obviously, Camaro and mustang will never be a porsche.

just like porsche will never be an american muscle.

but if u watch the GrandAm, u will see that camaros/mustangs are just as competitive on the same tracks with 911GT3 and BMW M3.

good times.

btw, Mick is definitely a proud owner of a 997.
But i think he is a sports car lover while few of u are just Porsche lovers..

Last edited by crazycarlitos; 02-09-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:32 PM
I love sports cars. I just dont take joy in trying to rub in someones face my car or another car is better than theirs.

The best post of the thread is a pimply faced kid in a 60k car smoking a 911 in his mind.... that tells you all you need.

Defend my decision to own one? Can you read what you quoted? I dont give a crap what you think about what I drive. I just find it funny that mick enjoys the fact that a 60k car would smoke a 100k car. WHO CARES! Why does that bring joy?

Nice to defend a friend though.

And i didnt get my feelings hurt 10 years ago when the LS1 camaros smoked M3s on the track and I won't now even though you somehow feel I am going to get all bent because OMFG!!!! another DRIVER BEAT THE BRAND I OWN OMGOMGOMG LOL

Last edited by Squat; 02-09-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:42 PM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
Well on that note, Next.......

Old 02-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by mickfluff
Well on that note, Next.......
HAHAHAHAA Mick so cute. Did you own the thread? So glad I don't live up there anymore. I forget how people from NE let their big mouths go on about stuff they have no clue about then they try to control the direction when they dont like how things are going. Enjoy your new "FASTER than a supercar" car.
My frickin Bike is faster than my 997tt. And its a muscle cruiser.

Oh and proactive supposedly helps with the pimples

Last edited by Squat; 02-09-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by mickfluff
I read some recent reviews about the new Mustang GT500 (200mph car, mid to upper 3 second to 60 time, great handling etc) with 650hp+ off the show room floor... great stats nearing some super cars performance numbers... Pretty amazing HP and numbers in this mustang that will be selling for about 60K new.

Then I kept reading in another magazine that came in by mail about the new Camaro Zl1.... near 600hp and some great numbers as well in performance.....going to be a great dual between Ford and Chevy... this car selling for under 60K....

I have kept up less with the american muscle car war over the years but after reading a bit about these two cars I seemed to get more interested. Then to read about the new Viper due out in a year or so was also good news I thought....from a Porsche guy I have no issue in saying that it is great to see some bad *** american muscle cars rolling out....

For the price of a 991S you can tuck both the GT500 and the Zl1 in the ole garage.

Not converting yet but I will be swinging in my local Ford and Chevy dealer in the coming months to see these beasts in the flesh...

Before some of you get out the torches, lynch sticks and stones together relax, not making a direct comparison between the 991 and these cars.... but merely making a comment that it is great to read about some serious new model American cars rolling out... The fact you can get the Shelby gt500 and the Camaro ZL1 with a combined HP of 1200HP for the price of 1 991 is just a interesting nugget ...

Now if we could see the interiors of both Ford and Chevy take the same leap ahead that would be nice.... both hard to stomach IMO but do still appreciate these cars...
For the same money you can buy a f-150 an elise and trailer for track days and build a C5 auto that will trample all of them in a straight line.......

That is if your sole purpose in life is to go faster than SOME cars on streets. because the 9 sec cars live on the track

Old 02-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Banned
Mattym6 is a jewel in the roughMattym6 is a jewel in the roughMattym6 is a jewel in the rough
nice post thank you

Old 02-10-2012, 02:28 AM
Rotor is infamous around these parts
If I had an extra $40-50K for another toy and garage space to put it in, I would be at the Ford dealer tomorrow to buy a new Boss 302. No way in hell I'd get rid of my 997, but sure would like to have that Mustang too.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:25 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
... I cant explain why I liked it. I cant explain why i currently don't.

Same with the porsche. I can't explain why I love the car. I cant explain that I dont care you can buy a 6k CBR and smoke me... I love the porsche because of how I feel enjoying it... I dont drive it to "smoke" other drivers. I drive it because of how I feel driving it, nothing of which has a thing to do with what others see when they see the car. Slow or fast is just fun and puts a smile on my face.

... I think that goes for a lot of Porsche owners.
Quoted. I'm so going to use this in the future...

(this could be used in the latest GT-R vs Turbo, PDK vs Manual shifting, comfy vs harsh, etc..., so many people that just don't get it)

But Squat - I think you are misinterpreting mickfluff's perspective. He isn't bashing Porsche (as stated by carlitos), just acknowledging the potential and achievements of another brand. If you aren't concerned about another brand, just move on without posting. If you are concerned, we welcome your opinion.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:39 AM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Quoted. I'm so going to use this in the future...

(this could be used in the latest GT-R vs Turbo, PDK vs Manual shifting, comfy vs harsh, etc..., so many people that just don't get it)

But Squat - I think you are misinterpreting mickfluff's perspective. He isn't bashing Porsche (as stated by carlitos), just acknowledging the potential and achievements of another brand. If you aren't concerned about another brand, just move on without posting. If you are concerned, we welcome your opinion.
I dont think he is bashing porsche. I just think he took the time to point out you can buy a faster number car for less money NEWS FLASH: SKY IS IN FACT BLUE, then he likes the idea of that car lighting up a more $$$ car. Maybe I'm jaded, with the ricers that ran to BMW forums 10 years ago to scream and howl the glory of their SRt4 neon beating that vaunted m3. Or the mazda factory guy with an M3 at home telling everyone over and over how terrible M3s were on the track compared to the LS1 etc. Is the point someone overpaid? Do we REALLY care that a GT3 lost on the track? My instructor was in his miata and stuck to the tail of a z06. Does that make the Miata a better track car or the driver? So comparing tracks results to "streetablility " is just amusing and a direct attempt to goad the community into taking offense. Its basically trolling.
Yeah lets start a thread " wow the american muscle cars( apples) are more powerful and faster than a 991 Porsche ( oranges) and by default faster than all 997s..... What do you all think about that.... not that I am trying to start something so dont think that, but I really think the coolest point is that a kid in an apple smoked the 50 yo CEO in his 991 orange"

That is trolling. I dont care what car you own. And if my goal is to smoke you from a stop ( porsche AND the american power), I buy a c5 and go insane. On the track I buy an elise and the pickup to tow it with and I still have 10-20k left for expenses.

So the point is trolling. Trying to get the community of porsche owners to get up in arms about Ford making a car that might be faster. Which you can have 800hp to the wheels for 100k Buy a GT500 and send it off. If thats not trolling, then call it what you want so we have a new word FOR trolling. Trolling is getting old as it is so lets let Mick pick the new word.

Last edited by Squat; 02-10-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:53 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I dont think he is bashing porsche. I just think he took the time to point out you can buy a faster number car for less money NEWS FLASH: SKY IS IN FACT BLUE, then he likes the idea of that car lighting up a more $$$ car. Maybe I'm jaded, with the ricers that ran to BMW forums 10 years ago to scream and howl the glory of their SRt4 neon beating that vaunted m3. Or the mazda factory guy with an M3 at home telling everyone over and over how terrible M3s were on the track compared to the LS1 etc. Is the point someone overpaid? Do we REALLY care that a GT3 lost on the track? My instructor was in his miata and stuck to the tail of a z06. Does that make the Miata a better track car or the driver? So comparing tracks results to "streetablility " is just amusing and a direct attempt to goad the community into taking offense. Its basically trolling.
Yeah lets start a thread " wow the american muscle cars( apples) are more powerful and faster than a 991 Porsche ( oranges) and by default faster than all 997s..... What do you all think about that.... not that I am trying to start something so dont think that, but I really think the coolest point is that a kid in an apple smoked the 50 yo CEO in his 991 orange"

That is trolling. I dont care what car you own. And if my goal is to smoke you from a stop ( porsche AND the american power), I buy a c5 and go insane. On the track I buy an elise and the pickup to tow it with and I still have 10-20k left for expenses.

So the point is trolling. Trying to get the community of porsche owners to get up in arms about Ford making a car that might be faster. Which you can have 800hp to the wheels for 100k Buy a GT500 and send it off. If thats not trolling, then call it what you want so we have a new word FOR trolling. Trolling is getting old as it is so lets let Mick pick the new word.
Thanks for clarifying your position without becoming hostile. I guess, as an enthusiast, I'm always interested in learning about a new car's abilities/achievements/etc...

I think I see your point better. Perhaps I didn't see it as trolling (but perhaps a similar word). If somebody posted a topic we all agreed with, this forum would be boring. Hell, even I go off on the deep end just to stir the pot a little (see heavychevy and Speed21 for examples).

I tracked my brother's Miata (stock), and passed a 360 CS on track (got it on video), I would never say the Miata is a better car than a 360 CS. I later drove a CS on track, and had never enjoyed the track as much as I did then.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1 991....2 american Muscle!