997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

UGH - NYC Parking Garages

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 05:20 AM
Yup yup is infamous around these parts
How do you guys feel about outdoor parking and putting a car cover on? Attracting too much attention?

moving to murrary hill in a few week, looking for parking options.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:40 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Yup yup
How do you guys feel about outdoor parking and putting a car cover on? Attracting too much attention?

moving to murrary hill in a few week, looking for parking options.
If it's anywhere near Murray Hill or other good neighborhoods, I probably wouldn't worry about attracting attention. Assuming the lot is well lit of course. Go with your gut.
I'd be more concerned with mold, rats (more so in winter), scatches taking the cover on and off etc. The good thing is Manhattan garages are month to month so I'd say try it out if the price is right
...and buy a cover that says Honda or Hyundai

Old 05-27-2013, 07:04 AM
Yea, the neighborhood is good so not too worried about safety, more so the price of parking.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:24 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
I would buy a beater 911 and just drive it and park it and not worry. This is yet another good reason not to live in the big cities (for me).

Old 05-27-2013, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by cairo94507
I would buy a beater 911 and just drive it and park it and not worry. This is yet another good reason not to live in the big cities (for me).
Not about to buy a beater 911. Tried living in the burbs, couldn't handle it, so moving back to the city.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:18 PM
mjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the rough
Central Parking on 31st street in the Windsor Court building (between 3rd and lex) had been a good choice for me. The attendants are fine and a few extra bucks their way gets you some additional care.

The other garage is directly across the street. Red Ball Garage. Famous as the starting point for the Cannonball Run. I hear good things about that garage.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Central Parking on 31st street in the Windsor Court building (between 3rd and lex) had been a good choice for me. The attendants are fine and a few extra bucks their way gets you some additional care.

The other garage is directly across the street. Red Ball Garage. Famous as the starting point for the Cannonball Run. I hear good things about that garage.
Sounds pricey, will look into it, thanks. Very close to my nee apartment

Old 05-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Norman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Nurburg611
The "ugh" continues. I can't even count the incidents since my last post. They were plenty. This city is just no place for a nice car.

Picked up my new (used) cab last week. Within one week I've already found a new light but large scratch from a license plate or something. I'll be able to buff it out.

I really tried everything I can. Self parking (didn't even take 3 weeks for someone to fully hit the car), and valet (3 incidents in total in one year). It's not working for me.

Does really no one here have any good suggestions for a good garage that allows you to self park in a reserved spot? That's the only thing that will save me from this emotional distress of constantly giving my car to people who I genuinely distrust. And my own statistics prove me right.

What do my fellow NYC porsche drivers do?

I can't hack it any longer. I could just forget the whole thing altogether and buy a Wrangler because that's what you need here.

Would really appreciate any parking recommendations!
I tried quite a few garages in Manhattan and had more than a few bad experiences with valets who just didn't care about someone else's property. I have found a parking garage a few blocks from where I live (FIDI) that is exactly what I was looking for. I have a reserved spot that is wide and secured on both sides by walls. It's a bit on the pricey side but at least I know I'll find my car in the same shape I left it.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Norman75; 05-27-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:55 PM
Nurburg611 is infamous around these partsNurburg611 is infamous around these parts
I currently park in midtown at a reserved spot. I can't even tell you how much it costs but let's put it this way, I could make monthly payments to finance a second Carrera. Ridiculous.

The Battery Garage in FiDi seems a good choice overall since it's self parking. I believe they have a reserved / attended floor as well but then you're looking at almost the same price range as what I have right now.

At the end of the day it's just part of ownership of a car in NYC. Without a garage in Manhattan it's VERY difficult. I got three tickets a few weeks ago as I "slept in" on a Saturday. Walked to my car at 9 am with tickets for no front license plate (classic), street cleaning 7.30 - 8.00 am, then no receipt displayed in window for hourly parking beginning 8 am. 195 bucks in tickets LOL. I disputed btw without success because that cop seriously wrote one ticket at 7.48 am and then another one around 8.10 am but hey, counts as two different offenses even though in same spot.

And then you move at average speeds of 8mph to get out of the city. Oh well...