997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

UGH - NYC Parking Garages

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Nurburg611 is infamous around these partsNurburg611 is infamous around these parts
UGH - NYC Parking Garages

It was to be expected. So much, that of course I already had ordered a set of bumper blockers. But I thought the odds of having my first heart attack seeing my car with a huge scratch would be little. How much can happen in 2 weeks? And you would think they pay extra attention, at least a little, to a basically brand new 911.

Well, NYC parking garages do not disappoint. There it was last night when I drove into the garage to drop off my car. I usually don’t check my car every single time I receive it in great detail but I know for fact it wasn’t there when dropped it off before the weekend. Probably 5 inches long covered with white dust and concrete particles, stretching along the back left fender.

Now, luckily, I was able to brush most of it off, clean it a bit and there is no structural damage. And it’s the bumper piece and not the main body. In fact, you can barely see anything even though I believe a little bit of the paint has been deeper penetrated. I’ll polish it up tonight and see what I looks like afterwards.

But to my original point, having a nice car in NYC just ain’t fun. These people at the valet – I mean I would never trust anyone of them to drive my car but yet you have no choice. And they squeeze even the nicest cars into the tightest spots. I kept my Boxster for 4 years in the city and it was wrecked. No accidents and I took great care of it - but it was just beaten down by bad streets and incapable and careless valet service (and fellow drivers who can’t park – their bumpers say it all).

Sorry I’m just blowing off some steam here and there is no solution for this. I’ll get this fixed before I go stir crazy and I’ll pad the car like a Chinese vase ready to be shipped around the globe next time I enter the garage. It just annoys me that I can’t park my car with confidence that not some id*&^%$ is going to cause damage to it and then when I ask how that happened of course “that has been there before”. Unless you have a private spot or garage, there is no point in having a car like that in Manhattan or on the flip side, you just accept it as one of the many little downsides to living in the city that never sleeps.

I wonder how my fellow NYC drivers think about this…

(By the way, this is nothing compared to my friend whose Maserati got smashed by a dude taking pictures of his car from behind while going 50 mph crashing right into his back)

Old 02-08-2012, 09:01 AM
ksdprasad is infamous around these parts
it hurts a lot. sorry to hear.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:46 AM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
I can only see 'Ferris Buehler' when I consider valet parking. My P-Car has never been exposed to a valet parker. I tell them I'll pay extra to have it parked in front or to do it myself if necessary. I worked as a 'parker' while going to school so I can attest first hand what happens in those valet parking situations. It doesn't pay to drive a 'nice' car and live in the city.

On the other hand it is just a car so try not to sweat the small 'sh*t'.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Ugh... sorry to hear that. I am heading into the city for my anniversary over the weekend. Just made reservations for a rental car since I have low expectations from the valet drivers.

Surprisingly, my wife agreed that it was not worth the risk to drive in our cars.

Good luck getting that patched up. If it is any consolation - black paint is the easiest to blend or color match.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:38 AM
silver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the rough
Sorry OP. As a fellow Manhattan resident, keeping a porsche definitely isn't the easiest task. I'm not sure where in the city you live, but your best bet is to look for a self park garage. I keep my car near mid town west in a self park garage and it's been fine as you basically know which spots your car will be the safest. Think corner spots or spots that have surrounding walls. I would never be able to trust any valet with my car. Fix it up and look for a different garage, that's my advice. Now the pot holes and awful road conditions, that's a different story...

Old 02-08-2012, 11:45 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
ain`t there any $50 a day garages where you can live your car yourself at your dedicated spot on Manhattan?

Old 02-08-2012, 11:50 AM
silver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by utkinpol
ain`t there any $50 a day garages where you can live your car yourself at your dedicated spot on Manhattan?
I've heard of them but @ $50/day??!! No way Jose!

Old 02-08-2012, 01:15 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Ill watch your car for 50bux a day and ill wash it lol

Old 02-08-2012, 01:34 PM
slick911 has a spectacular aura aboutslick911 has a spectacular aura about
I feel your pain. It's not any better here in Los Angeles. I can't speak for everyone but I have to deal with the same crap in the Lowes parking lot with someone parking 6" inches from my door. If I can't get into my car, how the hell did they got out of theirs??
So now I take my wife's car to do errands. Lol. GL on fixing the scratch.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:58 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
lived in manhattan from '99-04...you are brave

Even now in WA state..if I park an empty row out, someone will come park their beater RIGHT NEXT TO THE CARRERA...and I've only had it for a week

Old 02-08-2012, 02:02 PM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !
that looks like it'll buff right out.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:24 PM
NYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really nice
Been there – a bunch of times. Considered getting a beater to replace mine but ultimately accepted it as a cost of ownership (in addition to parking tix and towings, speeding tix, potholes/craters, high insurance rates, ridiculous bridge/tunnel tolls, braille method parallel parkers, falling trees, careles san-men, careless dog owners, etc.) Nothing you can do about it. Vent, get it off your chest and enjoy your ride the other 90% of the time. Didn’t bust my @ss all those years to get to the point where I could own a 911 only to let some idiot working at a garage ding my car to the point where I purposefully deprive myself of what makes me happy. NFW.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nicoli
Even now in WA state..if I park an empty row out, someone will come park their beater RIGHT NEXT TO THE CARRERA...and I've only had it for a week
I do the same thing. I park in the most far away inconvient spot with a buffer on all sides and when I come out someone is always parked right next to me. I'm starting to think people do it on purpose just to mess with us. Oh well, what are you gonna do?

Ken

Old 02-08-2012, 03:25 PM
RudyP is infamous around these parts
I know what you mean - that's why when I lived in Manhattan I had an 8 year old Nissan and as soon as I moved out, I bought a 997 and an M3. I wanted a nice car really badly but couldn't subject myself to this kind of pain so I repressed and bottled my car enthusiasm until I moved out. What's worse (for those who haven't had the pleasure of owning a car in NYC) is that they charge you $400-600 /month for the privilege of destroying your car. I probably paid about $50,000 in parking for that car over 8 years and ended up with a car that had EVERY SINGLE body panel scratched and dented.

Can you tell I'm really glad to be out of NYC?

Old 02-08-2012, 04:19 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
I also park in a garage and have had a few incidents. For instance the parking guys love to back up the car so far that the bumperettes are rubbing against the padded wall, which is slowly removing the paint. Just last week when the attendant drove up and opened the door, he slammed it against the concrete wall (tiny bit of paint came off).

I agree with ZO6 -- as crazy as it sounds, it's just another cost of ownership in these parts and it's not worth raising the blood pressure too much. (I'd probably feel differently if my car wasn't 5 years old already with some track scars. And that's a big reason I probably won't buy a new 911 as long as I live in the city).

That said, I still throw a fit over even relatively minor instances, like the door incident. I also discovered that same day when I picked the car up that the tow hook cover was missing. Highly unlikely that it happened at the garage and only $50 but I made them pay for it out of principal (the attendant said no way no how, but management gave it up pretty easily). Gotta send the message that you notice everything, that you check the car every time in and out, etc.

Regarding beating up the car in the city, I think parking on the street will definitely do that, as will driving in rush hour. Eventually you will get side-swiped, etc. Personally I've been limiting that driving as much as possible, and mostly to off-hours.

Mechanically, I just went through the strut mounts at $20k (not a big deal) but otherwise the car has been fine. I imagine the shocks will die a bit young too. Oh well.

At the end of the day, for me, it's well worth it but again, in a new spotless car, I'd probably feel differently. I think you should use the scratch to negotiate a spot in the garage on the ground level, where they don't have to move your car as far.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: UGH - NYC Parking Garages