997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Well.... It finally happened.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 05:24 PM
cavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to behold
Has it been confirmed as IMS?

Old 02-15-2012, 05:25 PM
lenelsa is infamous around these parts
YES .
IMS failure.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:27 PM
cavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by lenelsa
YES .
IMS failure.
So sorry. I worry now that mine is out of CPO.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Can you buy 3rd warranty if my factory warranty expired 1.5 years ago?

Old 02-15-2012, 06:45 PM
Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !
My car has a Fidelity warranty for a few more years but my plan is to get the IMS gaurdian. http://www.flat6innovations.com/ims-guardian-home
I figure if this thing catches the IMS bearing as soon as it starts to go, I can park the car and just replace the bearing before it detonates the engine.

I spoke with the company that makes them and they said that sometime around April they plan to release an new model with a button different than the current 996 switch they use. After I see this new model I will decide if the new switch is closer to a stock 997 or I will purchase one and figure out how to change the switch to a factory 997 switch. Just another option for those worried about IMS failure.

Ken

Old 02-15-2012, 07:20 PM
IslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of light
Doesn't the M97 "improved" bearing require cracking open the engine itself (forgive me if this terminology is wrong). I was under the impression from research its no small task. What kind of costs are involved with M97 bearing replacement, vs. straight up engine replacement IF it fails.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Boxzing is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Ken968
My car has a Fidelity warranty for a few more years but my plan is to get the IMS gaurdian. http://www.flat6innovations.com/ims-guardian-home
I figure if this thing catches the IMS bearing as soon as it starts to go, I can park the car and just replace the bearing before it detonates the engine.

I spoke with the company that makes them and they said that sometime around April they plan to release an new model with a button different than the current 996 switch they use. After I see this new model I will decide if the new switch is closer to a stock 997 or I will purchase one and figure out how to change the switch to a factory 997 switch. Just another option for those worried about IMS failure.

Ken
I wonder if that sensor is all that...does it sound an alarm? If not, you will be looking down at the light on the switch every minute while driving.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:32 PM
p997c is infamous around these partsp997c is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by keninirvine
I got pricing from EasyCare, and 2 local dealers, one of whom carries Fidelity and the other carries EasyCare. The lowest price was from the dealer with Fidelity. A 3rd local dealer didn't return my call. I'm considering the Fidelity 3 yr/36k extension, and $250 deductible. It can be cancelled/refunded, or transferred to another buyer. Best cost (through dealer) was about $2k less than the other dealer, and about $2400 less than EasyCare directly.
I purchased Fidelity from the dealer last year. It's for 4 year /48000 miles, $100 deductible. The cost was $4050

Old 02-16-2012, 02:06 PM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
My dealer offered me a $500 dollar powertrain warranty, I've sent an inquiry to find out which company this is. Although my dealer was clear he's never used them before and has zero baseline. He sells it for 999, offered to me for 500, his cost.

Anyone heard of this? Hopefully he'll get back to me soon.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:14 PM
neotorque is infamous around these partsneotorque is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MBENZF1
My dealer offered me a $500 dollar powertrain warranty, I've sent an inquiry to find out which company this is. Although my dealer was clear he's never used them before and has zero baseline. He sells it for 999, offered to me for 500, his cost.

Anyone heard of this? Hopefully he'll get back to me soon.
The only warranties I've heard of at that price are the dents/dings/maybe tires ones. I'd have to imagine there are a lot of exclusions in there, but I wouldn't buy anything from a service my dealer couldn't vouch for.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:11 AM
ksdprasad is infamous around these parts
what is the Porsche's warranty on power-train and engine alone?

Is it same as regular warranty(Porsche's 4 yrs 50k) or like Hyundai's gives a warranty of 10Yr 100K separately on engine and power-train?

Old 02-17-2012, 10:08 AM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
What do these extended warranties cost? I see one of the postings mentions a $2400. savings from one policy as opposed to another? I've still got 20 months on my new car warranty.. what should I be looking for in an extension? Do I approach the dealer or what?

Old 02-17-2012, 10:17 AM
neotorque is infamous around these partsneotorque is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jakesdad
What do these extended warranties cost? I see one of the postings mentions a $2400. savings from one policy as opposed to another? I've still got 20 months on my new car warranty.. what should I be looking for in an extension? Do I approach the dealer or what?
Depends on what you're looking for. They vary based on length of time/mileage and type of coverage. If you're looking for just a powertrain warranty in case your engine explodes, it would probably run you well under $2,000 for a 3 or 4 year extension, if you purchased it now, while still covered (it wouldn't be effective until your existing warranty expired, of course). If you're looking for something more comprehensive, there are exclusionary warranties that cover anything but a few excluded wear and tear parts (brake pads and such), both parts and labor, that would probably be twice as much.

I personally would recommend going through your authorized dealer, since that's probably where you'll want to get the work done. They can actually get you better prices than you might think, and they have good relationships with these companies, so there's less risk of having a dispute about coverage.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:25 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
One of the reasons prices vary for the same coverage is there is a lot of profit for those selling the policies, and some are willing to reduce their profit. From my research, and with the help of a lot of advice from others here, it appears that most companies like EasyCare and Fidelity charge retail if you go to them directly, whereas their agents (dealers) often discount from retail. Additionally, the insurance companies don't care where the policy is obtained - a policy is a policy. I've received a range of quotes (for the same coverage) just from Porsche dealers, and have been advised to try other non-Porsche dealers who are agents for the insurance companies.

Bottom line, if you're going to do it, it is beneficial to do it prior to expiration of your existing warranty. But my Porsche dealer told me that if my CPO expired before getting an extended warranty, they would need an inspection done (at my cost, around $150-200).

Old 02-23-2012, 11:23 PM
lenelsa is infamous around these parts
My new crate engine came in today .
My tech invited me down to check out uncrating and some of the install.
I'll post pix tomorrow .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Well.... It finally happened.