997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Well.... It finally happened.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 01:51 PM
lenelsa is infamous around these parts
Well.... It finally happened.

Well...... It finally happened.
My 2005 997S fell victim to the dreaded IMS failure last night.

It happened on my way home from work.

Below are pix on the flat bed.

Attached Images   
Old 02-14-2012, 01:57 PM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Really sorry to hear, how many miles, did you ever have the gasket replaced? How often do you drive the car?

Old 02-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
What is the IMS problem again?

Old 02-14-2012, 02:42 PM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Katera
What is the IMS problem again?
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...gineering.html

Old 02-14-2012, 03:26 PM
lenelsa is infamous around these parts
Thank God for CPO.
Car has 46K miles

Old 02-14-2012, 03:28 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
I hope it all works out for you. Please keep us posted.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:35 PM
ksdprasad is infamous around these parts
sorry to hear. hope CPO covers you. how many miles on the car?

Old 02-15-2012, 12:52 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear...please do keep us posted. Hope you get it resolved asap.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:48 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear. Can someone advise when the IMS design change took place between MY 05 and 06? I have a 2006 C2S Cab that was originally sold in March 2006. My CPO expires next month, so I am considering getting an extended warranty. I was wondering if I could tell by the VIN if my car has the newer design IMS or not.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:06 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by keninirvine
I am considering getting an extended warranty
Just get the warranty

Old 02-15-2012, 03:40 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
If you do, let me know where u got it and for how much, thank you.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:57 PM
neotorque is infamous around these partsneotorque is infamous around these parts
Sorry to hear. Can someone advise when the IMS design change took place between MY 05 and 06? I have a 2006 C2S Cab that was originally sold in March 2006. My CPO expires next month, so I am considering getting an extended warranty. I was wondering if I could tell by the VIN if my car has the newer design IMS or not.
All MY06s have the newer IMS, so you car has it, as do some of the later MY05s, though there doesn't seem to be a full proof way to determine which of the MY05s got it.

http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html

FWIW, your odds of having an IMS failure are probably well below 1%, but since it would be a far more involved process for you to replace your bearing (as it is the newer design), an extended warranty isn't a terrible idea if you're looking for peace of mind.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:03 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I got pricing from EasyCare, and 2 local dealers, one of whom carries Fidelity and the other carries EasyCare. The lowest price was from the dealer with Fidelity. A 3rd local dealer didn't return my call. I'm considering the Fidelity 3 yr/36k extension, and $250 deductible. It can be cancelled/refunded, or transferred to another buyer. Best cost (through dealer) was about $2k less than the other dealer, and about $2400 less than EasyCare directly.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:07 PM
neotorque is infamous around these partsneotorque is infamous around these parts
I got pricing from EasyCare, and 2 local dealers, one of whom carries Fidelity and the other carries EasyCare. The lowest price was from the dealer with Fidelity. A 3rd local dealer didn't return my call. I'm considering the Fidelity 3 yr/36k extension, and $250 deductible. It can be cancelled/refunded, or transferred to another buyer. Best cost (through dealer) was about $2k less than the other dealer, and about $2400 less than EasyCare directly.
FWIW, I have Fidelity Platinum through my authorized dealer. I haven't had to use it and I hope I never do, but my dealer says they have literally never had an issue getting a claim paid.

Also, if your only concern is IMS, you can go for the more basic warranty, which will lower the cost further. If you look at what these companies charge for a powertrain warranty, it's pretty obvious that the actuaries with actual data about IMS failure rates don't think they're much to worry about.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:20 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I had Easy Care and they were great, I also know those with Fidelity, and they say good things about them as well. Just an FYI, warranties are like used cars, there is room to negotiate on them. The dealer has a large mark up/profit on them...you could pit one against the other to get the best deal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Well.... It finally happened.