997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

OT - Panamera loaner impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 01:26 PM
timmp is infamous around these parts
OT - Panamera loaner impressions

Dropped the Cab off for service this morning and was given a Panamera as a loaner - it is amazing to me that a company that makes a car I really like can also produce a car I don't...the mirrors just suck, so side and rear visibility is dicey, the controls on the ceiling can't be seen unless you stop the car and look up there, took me a while sitting, studying the ceiling controls before I could figure out how to how to open the sun roof, the stereo is the mediocre Bose..., and when I go to touch the audio controls, I always hit some other button too, brakes have a funny initial dead spot before pickup, steering is super light, with little feel or feedback, gearing is odd, with a big jump between 3rd and 4th....

Likes - great suspension - very smooth, even in sport mode. Quiet inside. Hides its mass well in corners.

I suppose I would eventually get used the to controls all over the place and the lack of visibility, and the brakes and such. I kept tip-toeing around in the thing cause it is so big and I was afraid I'd wap it into something.

Interesting experience!

tim

Old 02-15-2012, 02:01 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Good points, but if you compare to any other sport sedan (eg. 750, Sclass, A8) it is much better. The blind spots are not cool and should be fixed, but everything else about the car is superb.
Remember the PTT did 3.3sec to 60 and the 1/4mile in 11.8sec, that is stock. Imagine with a cattbypass and ecu tune.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:12 PM
timmp is infamous around these parts
I haven't driven an A8, S class or 7 series - I love the M5 and 550, (I have an X5 4.4) and if I was in the market for such a vehicle, the M5 would be my first choice, but I have to agree that the Pan is really larger than a 5 series and more akin to the others. I will say, though, that I think I would prefer a 7 series Beemer to the Pan - I like the BMW seats and control design better, and the BMW steering feel - the Pan seats are only ok, and the control design is dicey. Don't care for the ultra-light steering. The Pan would be faster, but that isn't my number 1 priority in a freeway cruiser.

But your point is well taken - I'm not really a 7 series or Pan kinda guy, but I was excited to try the car, and am surprised that I didn't care for it.

tim

Old 02-15-2012, 03:17 PM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
I think the Pana is a car that has to grow on you for sure. I drove one around in Scottsdale and had the exact same impressions you did as far as your "likes" list. I couldnt believe how smooth and quiet it was. I think all of the controls you would get used to, so I didnt worry about that. I think it would be second on my list after an A8 or A7 actually, as I think they are the best luxo sedans out there - both looks and build quality. No doubt the Pana is the sportier car of that mix though.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
My wife has just declared that she wants one as her next car. The first few times we saw one on the road she mocked it, now every time she sees one she calls it her car.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:02 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
I got to take one a the track. Handled very well for a four door sedan.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:34 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by timmp
I haven't driven an A8, S class or 7 series - I love the M5 and 550, (I have an X5 4.4) and if I was in the market for such a vehicle, the M5 would be my first choice, but I have to agree that the Pan is really larger than a 5 series and more akin to the others. I will say, though, that I think I would prefer a 7 series Beemer to the Pan - I like the BMW seats and control design better, and the BMW steering feel - the Pan seats are only ok, and the control design is dicey. Don't care for the ultra-light steering. The Pan would be faster, but that isn't my number 1 priority in a freeway cruiser.

But your point is well taken - I'm not really a 7 series or Pan kinda guy, but I was excited to try the car, and am surprised that I didn't care for it.

tim
I have had 2 days with the M5 at the M-school and have experienced the PTT at the track at the porsche driving school. The PTT was better than the M5 in every way on the track, even though its bigger and longer. But you could have an A7 and a slightly used M5 for the price of one PTT, so you are paying the premium. And if you dont love it, than get what you want and save a lot of money. All these cars are great, you can't lose.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
I've driven the Panamera quite a bit. Among large sports sedans, I think it's among the best. Among sports sedans of all sizes, I like the C63 over the Panamera. But sports sedans aren't sports cars, so really not in the same category as a 911.