997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Targa 4 Experience so far

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Uavcaymans is infamous around these parts
Targa 4 Experience so far

Just a copy of my writeup that I figured you guys might want to read as well from another forum...

I am out to waste some time right now and had **** up so I figured I'd share some information about my Porsche experience.

As some of you may know, about 4 months ago, I traded in my 2008 Black on Black on Black Cayman S for a 2007 Guards Red Targa 4. Here are my impressions so far of my different experience.

1) The Cayman was able to fit me well (big guy and 6 ft 2 in) but the ability to adjust the seats in the Carrera to my liking felt great! The 1/2 back seats can squeeze in small people but usually its just me driving.

2) The Targa roof does squeak like some forums mention. I have since found out that there is a certain spray that can be put on the rails to prevent the squeaking (especially over rough pavement). Believe it or not, the squeaking is much less than the liner rattle that some of us Cayman owners were living with (especially with droning exhaust). Let me be clear, I LOVE THE ROOF. I don't think I can go back into an enclosed car because of the ambient light (during the day and even moonlight). Honestly, it is the only time that I felt like the visuals of a car commercial melt into reality (ie, streetlights flowing over a car's roof looks great on a TV commercial, but feeling the ambient light moving above is so much better!).

3) The 3.6 L engine in the Targa came with 325 HP. I figured the heavier weight of the car would make it about the same feeling as the light Cayman S with 295 HP with upgraded exhaust. I know this is purely subjective but the Targa still feels faster (maybe attributed to the 4wd). The torque is perfect above 3k rpm

4) Guards red is warming up on me as it feels like a sports car in any kind of weather and light. Even more "look at that" hand gesture than the Cayman!

5) Mods for this car seem to be severely limited and unnecessarily expensive (moreso than the Cayman S). IE, ebay exhausts will begin at 1800 USD vs 1500 USD for the Cayman. In addition, the exhaust options do not seem to produce the gentle grumble we all love when upgrading Cayman S exhausts. In this research, I have decided to enjoy the factory sounds.

6) The only thing a bit annoying right now is a slightly leaky RMS as well as what sounds/feels like the driver front wheel bearing needing attention. Other than that, the car feels very tight. The understeer is much more on this car than the Cayman S but feels very nicely weighted. The gearbox also feels chunkier (possibly due to an older clutch).

7) The Bose system for Porsche seems to be an issue for most. I have found that the CD quality and radio quality for the Targa Bose is very usable. When radio transmitters come into the mix.... it is not that great.

8) The Targa is perfect in the same way the Cayman was great in the rear hatch access. This is another reason why I picked a Targa instead of a C4S or C4.

9) So far, I am really enjoying my Targa and plan to do a few mods but to get things started I put in a few things already.

MODS:
1) Tooki Bluetooth Module - REVIEW: Must do for those who are considering. Iphone phonebooks are now accessible with update! (but only 1st number of each contact)

2) Painted shift pattern - Should have been stock from the factory this way (takes literally 10 mins to do and suncoast will has shifters for salewith a painted pattern shifter for more than 2 Benjamins!

3) Installed a phone mount base that looks like it came from the factory. I will update more info for those interested. (SORRY FOR THE BLURRY PIC) I was in a rush. The stitching and leather color matches the interior almost exactly! I love this mod

OVERALL:

I love my Targa and am very glad I made the move to the larger car. Its more spacious, more powerful, and sometimes has more problems. I have been wondering whether the 991 is a compromise in comparison to the 997s. Some say it is with "sound" falsifying (its like adding a cone to the bottom of a phone speaker and saying the sound is better). Also the electronic handling is still in question by myself (though I haven't tried it yet). Finally, the rear lights for the 991 look fantastic but easily similar to an Aston Martin, but I don't like the rear look due to the stubby nature and shortened spoiler. I hope you enjoyed the reading!

Attached Images    
Old 02-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Very cool. Ditto on the benefits of the glass roof. It totally changes the feel of being in the car.

I have an 09, so its the 997.2 and came with factory universal audio interface and Bluetooth phone support, so I just keep my cell phone in my pocket in the car (though I now do need to upgrade my old cable to charge the iPhone with the 5v source).

I've had no squeaks from the roof yet than one one or two specific cold days on very rough roads. The few rattles I've experienced were with center console switches, or from the dash trim.. .nothing Targa specific.

Last edited by Minok; 02-16-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:22 PM
300cd300sdl911 is infamous around these parts
Ditto on loving the targa. Ours is a 2007 4S. Two summers ago drove 8k miles. The rear hatch is very useful for loading.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:45 AM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Love it. Almost chose a Targa.. Just love the car, thanks for the pics and write up so can live it thru you

Old 02-17-2012, 06:59 AM
ksdprasad is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by nicoli
Love it. Almost chose a Targa.. Just love the car, thanks for the pics and write up so can live it thru you
i love 911, so targa.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:29 PM
gellie is infamous around these parts
Can't imagine owning another Porsche without it being a Targa. Just hope they add it to the 991 lineup. Nice write up.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:40 PM
crhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura about
Congrats on the car!

Have had mine since late 2007... Been fun from day one! The roof is awesome, more convenient that a cab with better looks. Love the stainless trim around the side windows and how it come to a point. I feel the car looks more fresh with this compared to a std coupe.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:42 PM
crhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by gellie
Can't imagine owning another Porsche without it being a Targa. Just hope they add it to the 991 lineup. Nice write up.
I hare the only difference on the 991 Targa is going to be a glass roof in stead on the solid roof and maybe some trim in the rear as the 997.2. Far less dollars to produce thus it should be less to us as consumers.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:11 PM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
I just picked up a 2008 Targa C4S with only 4.5K miles on it.
Came with Tooki bluetooth, K-40 radar, navigation, sports chrono, triptronic, turbo wheels, bose, full leather.

3 questions...
1) the car came with factory alarm, locking and opening there is no sound, just lights... can the alarm be setup to make a sound?
2) rear taillights...will '09 taillight fit? I like the '09 LED taillights or is there an aftermarket rear taillights that will work?
3) factory tires came with in 305/30-19 and 235/35-19... can I get the tires wider?
For example 325/30-19 and 265/30-19
4) Where do I adjust the bi-xenon headlights? Is it possible to adjust the height of the light even though it's auto level? I think it's too high and I'd like to adjust it

Last edited by mark12345; 02-17-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:10 AM
itspol is infamous around these parts
Love my Targa too and thanks for write up

Old 02-18-2012, 02:22 AM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mark12345
I just picked up a 2008 Targa C4S with only 4.5K miles on it.
Came with Tooki bluetooth, K-40 radar, navigation, sports chrono, triptronic, turbo wheels, bose, full leather.

3 questions...
1) the car came with factory alarm, locking and opening there is no sound, just lights... can the alarm be setup to make a sound?
very nice setup you found..congrats! From everything I've read in the last few months I've been following these boards (in other words, I'm pretty much a newbie still) the answer is no, unless you install a module from mods4cars that allows it (and other pretty cool tricks). I just installed one today myself, it was fairly painless. I have nice (not too loud or soft) horn blip now. Costs a few hundred, though.

Last edited by nicoli; 02-18-2012 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-18-2012, 10:03 AM
RS4-Brian is infamous around these partsRS4-Brian is infamous around these parts
How did you do the paint on the shifter?

Old 02-18-2012, 11:05 PM
TomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the rough
Targa

Congrats on the car and welcome to the club.
RE the 'spray' for your roof track (McLube Sailkote), it won't work unless you clean the mechanism pretty well to start.
The full step by step process is here:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ggestions.html
It's pretty simple. But take your time to do it right.
Invest 20 -30 minutes, do it correctly and there's about a 99% chance your roof will be silent.
Its such a great, fun, GT car. There's no way annoying noises should cut back your enjoyment of your drives.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:42 AM
I used hobby paint that was used to paint model cars.... Had a cheap
Kit from an art store... Fill in by dipping end of toothpick (plastic) in paint and dropping into the gaps.... Wipe extra paint off with dry or slightly damp napkin... If you mess up, nail polish remover will help finish cleaning over painted areas.... The paint is easily removed by scraping with a toothpick! Easy, valuable mod!

Old 02-19-2012, 01:43 AM
Thank you for the info and article for the roof squeak!