997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Sub $2000 wheel battle: Forgestar F14 vs Ruger Mesh

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 02:54 AM
AP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really nice
Stock or different OEM wheels.

why change your perfectly fine and durable BBS for some knock-off ?

i wouldn't.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:06 AM
simoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the rough
??? Me? I'm currently running OEM Turbo Style wheels for C2S NB and your are right that they are perfectly fine wheels.

With the understanding that they have no significant difference in performance (similar weight and toughness), I'm thinking of changing for F14 purely for the different look! Net-net it should cost me only a few tank of gas!

Originally Posted by AP1to911
Stock or different OEM wheels.

why change your perfectly fine and durable BBS for some knock-off ?

i wouldn't.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:35 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
what exactly is forgestar knocking off?

Old 05-20-2014, 03:39 PM
AP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Squat

I guess you can say Forgestar is not a knockoff of any wheel. What I meant to say in a nice way was **** wheels. Sorry I was trying to be nice about it.

I know more than 3 people personally who have bought and ran brand new forgestars. Every single set has cracked and is now unusable.
How long did they even last? Not very long just like any other **** wheel.

Just giving insight from personal experience. I'm just saying, BBS is BBS. If you cannot afford better (forged wheels) , leave your stocks.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:42 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
And herein lies the problem. No one makes a super deep concave that looks decent. They are all so busy.
Oh and HRE are nothing special either although people pay a premium. For the money you can get so much better of a wheel.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Squat

I guess you can say Forgestar is not a knockoff of any wheel. What I meant to say in a nice way was **** wheels. Sorry I was trying to be nice about it.

I know more than 3 people personally who have bought and ran brand new forgestars. Every single set has cracked and is now unusable.

Just giving insight from personal experience. I'm just saying, BBS is BBS. If you cannot afford better (forged wheels) , leave your stocks. A

Old 05-21-2014, 10:49 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !

How come nobody is posting about this? People on car forums are usually pretty vocal. I haven't seen too many post about cracked Forgestars, then again, I don't always check other subforums besides the 997. Show me the cracked Forgestar threads.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by Ynot
How come nobody is posting about this? People on car forums are usually pretty vocal. I haven't seen too many post about cracked Forgestars, then again, I don't always check other subforums besides the 997. Show me the cracked Forgestar threads.

Show you ? Sure.

I just typed in " cracked forgestar wheel" on Google and here are more than PLENTY examples:

https://www.google.com/search?q=crac...=isch&imgdii=_

here is the list of cars that I personally know who have cracked Forgestar wheels.

2004 C55 AMG (19", less than 10,000 miles. ALL street driven.)
2011 Mustang GT 5.0 (18" , Track driven. Not sure on mileage, but it sure wasn't alot.)
2009 G37S (19" ALL street miles. he cracked 2 wheels the first time and
replaced with New, then cracked another wheel. 3 wheels cracked total)

Every set were bought brand new, and I personally know the owner of each car.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:38 AM
Old 05-22-2014, 08:29 AM
JesseRohr has much to be proud ofJesseRohr has much to be proud ofJesseRohr has much to be proud ofJesseRohr has much to be proud ofJesseRohr has much to be proud ofJesseRohr has much to be proud ofJesseRohr has much to be proud ofJesseRohr has much to be proud ofJesseRohr has much to be proud of
Interesting. I've had Forgestar on three rides so far. No issues with any of them.

All sets (including SUV) have been daily driven, tracked, and abused quite hard.

I've also cracked CCW wheels with other vehicles in similar conditions, food for thought.

BMW X5

Corvette Z06

997.2 C2S

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BMWE70-0344_zps281ba0a0.jpg
Views:	1390
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	377397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Z06ForgestarNMCA-0116_zpse8b27f7c.jpg
Views:	3966
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	377398   Click image for larger version

Name:	0F9839A3-CCD9-464A-A9EE-F2484CB939FF_zpsecaagzjs.jpg
Views:	2006
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	377399  
Old 05-22-2014, 02:15 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Show you ? Sure.

I just typed in " cracked forgestar wheel" on Google and here are more than PLENTY examples:

https://www.google.com/search?q=crac...=isch&imgdii=_

here is the list of cars that I personally know who have cracked Forgestar wheels.

2004 C55 AMG (19", less than 10,000 miles. ALL street driven.)
2011 Mustang GT 5.0 (18" , Track driven. Not sure on mileage, but it sure wasn't alot.)
2009 G37S (19" ALL street miles. he cracked 2 wheels the first time and
replaced with New, then cracked another wheel. 3 wheels cracked total)

Every set were bought brand new, and I personally know the owner of each car.
Dude, search for HRE and just about any other wheel company and there are plenty of cracked wheels, I just read two cracked Forgestar threads and they were positive, they were replaced with no questions asked. Service after the purchased is what I am concerned about.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:16 PM
Dude, search for HRE and just about any other wheel company and there are plenty of cracked wheels, I just read two cracked Forgestar threads and they were positive, they were replaced with no questions asked. Service after the purchased is what I am concerned about.
and what?

that doesn't take away anything from personally knowing and seeing these cracked wheels in person.

yes, I have seen cracked HRE before. 2 or 3 piece wheels.

I have NEVER seen a OEM Porsche BBS or ANY one piece BBS crack in my life.
OEM unless you get something better.
when have you seen a Porsche BBS cracked?

My argument still stands.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:23 PM
Phil_D is infamous around these partsPhil_D is infamous around these parts
My Lobster Forks had a crack in them, that was the main reason I replaced them.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:29 PM
and what?

that doesn't take away anything from personally knowing and seeing these cracked wheels in person.

yes, I have seen cracked HRE before. 2 or 3 piece wheels.

My argument still stands.
There were a couple of threads on here back in the days when 6speedonline was just a 996 forum about cracked BBS. Nothing is perfect is what I am saying. I'm more worried about customer service after the fact. Forgestar is a lot cheaper than BBS and HRE, BBS and HRE stands by their product and from what I've read on the internet so does Forgestar. So my argument stands as well. If you NEVER seen an OEM Porsche BBS or any BBS wheel cracked, then you haven't been here long enough.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:54 AM
Former Vendor
HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !
There were a couple of threads on here back in the days when 6speedonline was just a 996 forum about cracked BBS. Nothing is perfect is what I am saying. I'm more worried about customer service after the fact. Forgestar is a lot cheaper than BBS and HRE, BBS and HRE stands by their product and from what I've read on the internet so does Forgestar. So my argument stands as well. If you NEVER seen an OEM Porsche BBS or any BBS wheel cracked, then you haven't been here long enough.
+1. Nothing is indestructible. That is a fact we came to terms with years ago and as a result, stand by ready to assist should there ever be a fault with our products.

Fortunately, we have advanced tremendously in terms of structure and technology, and will continue to do so in an effort to minimize these sorts of issues.

On a side note: for what it's worth, many of the cases we've seen involve outside factors such as improper powder coating techniques, improper disassembly and re-assembly of 3PC. wheels, etc..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sub $2000 wheel battle: Forgestar F14 vs Ruger Mesh