997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Sub $2000 wheel battle: Forgestar F14 vs Ruger Mesh

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 05:23 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
Sub $2000 wheel battle: Forgestar F14 vs Ruger Mesh

Hi guys!

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new set of wheels to replace my trusty lobster forks.

What I'm looking for is deep concave, no lip, 19" and matte black.

I rounded some wheel and came to the final 2 being:

• Forgestar F14

• Avant Garde Ruger Mesh (pic from GTRR)

Pros and cons?
I like the "true" flat black finish on the forgestars but I like the deep concave on the rugers. Also, the forgestars use the same OEM lugs and Rugers need a special lug set...

Do you have any other options I've been missing? Does anybody have an installed set in Miami that I can go and check them out in person?

Please post pictures of your suggestions or your set up...

thanks!

joel

Old 02-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Former Vendor
CampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the rough
Joel,

Here is our take on this dilemma.

1. The new Forgestar 19" Porsche specific are a true bolt-on wheel, they are hubcentric, re-use OE lug bolts and Porsche center caps.

2. The Ruger Mesh 19" are slightly heavier by about 1lbs, they are hubcentric as well, includes a new set of lug bolts and Porsche center caps.

Both are very similarly priced. Forgestar has the advantage of having more standard finishes, however on the Porsche specific wheels anything but the standard "brushed" aluminum is considered a custom powdercoat and is an extra $200.

The Rugers come in Hyper Silver or Matte black and are a bit more concave.

Both are similarly priced, the F14s being a bit more expensive if you opt for the custom matte black powdercoat.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:27 PM
BLKonBLK911C4S is infamous around these parts
If it helps your decision making there is a brand new set of the Ruger's in flat black for sale by a member in the marketplace section for $1250.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:08 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BLKonBLK911C4S
If it helps your decision making there is a brand new set of the Ruger's in flat black for sale by a member in the marketplace section for $1250.
yes, I saw that, but he desn't have the wheels in his possession... they are at the tire/wheel place, so I don't want to deal with 2 parties for one transaction... you know, paying one and wait for the other to ship and if something goes wrong, I need to contact the seller and the shipper/tire place and wait for resolution... too much for me to handle... I will try to find one of the ruger ones for $1450 shipped to Miami...

Old 02-19-2012, 08:09 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I would do the Forgestars, the mesh are too common IMO

Old 02-19-2012, 08:22 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
I would consider the weight also.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:29 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by geetee
I would consider the weight also.
I agree.. I'd go for the lightest of the two.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:53 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Forgestar looks better IMO.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:28 AM
GTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really nice
I am biased towards the HRE P40 design/ AG Rugers. They are heavier than the F14s. I love the fit and concave design. But you can go down to around 20lbs with the forged version of the Rugers. They cost 2x more than cast Rugers.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:21 AM
PasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to all
Mesh for me by a hair... read the f14 are lighter and stronger but not by a large margin.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:01 AM
Rotor is infamous around these parts
I'm happy with my 19" Rugers. The NB offset is better than the stock lobsters. My 295 Contis sit even with the wheel well as opposed to the lobsters being tucked in/under. No spacers necessary.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Rotor; 05-28-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:10 AM
Thanks!
Hey Rotor, do you have any side pictures of your car? thanks!

joel

Old 02-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Rotor is infamous around these parts
As requested. Suspension is stock and will remain so until CPO runs out.

Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2012, 09:10 AM
OKB
OKB is infamous around these parts
forgestar are better all around, forged barrel not all cast wheel. sized for cap, lugs, correct offset.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Former Vendor
CampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by GTRR
I am biased towards the HRE P40 design/ AG Rugers. They are heavier than the F14s. I love the fit and concave design. But you can go down to around 20lbs with the forged version of the Rugers. They cost 2x more than cast Rugers.
Correct, the F310 is at the 4,000$ mark right now for a set of 19s which barely weight 20lbs! They're a great deal.

Originally Posted by OKB
forgestar are better all around, forged barrel not all cast wheel. sized for cap, lugs, correct offset.
NO!

We have heard this misconception many times and correct it with our customers. The barrels are flow formed, not forged, forging a barrel is possible but is extremely complicated and expensive.

The Forgestar wheels are a cast wheel that start off as a pancake, the barrels are then flow formed and made to width specs. They cannot be compared in any ways to a forged wheel and one should not expect this at such a price point (1,500$ or so).

The Rugers were specifically designed with narrowbody or widebody offsets, there's no extra machining involved. The Rugers come standard with new lug bolts and Porsche center caps (included in the price).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sub $2000 wheel battle: Forgestar F14 vs Ruger Mesh