997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Would you even consider this car (DME Scan)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 09:07 AM
Boosted Josh is infamous around these parts
Would you even consider this car (DME Scan)

Car I'm interested in is an 06 C2S with about 13,000 miles on it.

It is being offered as a CPO at my local dealer. It is very clean and I was ready to make an offer on it as long as everything checked out. I had them pull a DME scan and this is what came back. I've asked for something in writing that says that the warranty will cover the engine since it looks like it was *almost* money shifted. The dealer has sent a query to Porsche NA.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Tito_gsx is infamous around these parts
Range 4 and 5 are outside most pcar owners comfort level. Ranges 2, 3, 4, 5 occurred over at least 3 events which says to me that the car was driven hard for that period. Could have been a track day.

What's the total number of hours on vehicle? If events occurred a long time ago (i.e. several hundred hours ago) then engine might be fine. However, buying a pcar is pretty significant so if risk is higher then price needs to be cheaper.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:45 AM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tito_gsx
buying a pcar is pretty significant so if risk is higher then price needs to be cheaper.

+1 - It's all relative. If the asking price is similar to offerings with cleaner records then I'd say no, but if they can make the numbers make sense then have a deal. Keep worst case scenario in the back of your mind and walk away if they don't make it work.

I've seen worse btw, it has probably seen some DE events already. And you also made my neck hurt.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:08 AM
RS4-Brian is infamous around these partsRS4-Brian is infamous around these parts
Like the others said, if it's a good deal and they'll cover it under the CPO then might be worth it. Keep in mind the next guy to buy it will also see this same scan so selling it could be a little trickier.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:37 AM
The car has 400 hours on it. So the most recent hit in range 4 is within the last couple hundred miles, test drive maybe? The level 5 would have been about 2-3000 miles ago.

They are asking $51K, but my goal would be about $50 OTD. I sold my Cayman 2 months ago so I don't have to worry about trades or number games.

The car isn't heavy loaded, but has what I'd want. Sport chrono, carrera classics, sport shifter, and is very clean.

It may be a moot issue though as the car isn't listed on the web site as of a couple minutes ago.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:05 PM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
$51k is a great price for a CPO with that low of miles. I've never seen one that low. I'd make sure the engine is covered and hop on it before someone else does.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:31 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Check out the CPO contract. That will tell you what is, and what isn't covered. I can't imagine that any part of the drivetrain is not completely covered.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:39 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
Originally Posted by mattyf
$51k is a great price for a CPO with that low of miles. I've never seen one that low. I'd make sure the engine is covered and hop on it before someone else does.
Agree wit this. Hop on that car as long as CPO will cover the engine. You will know if something is going to go in that engine soon. If nothing does, then all is well - if something does go, then CPO will cover it.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:49 PM
I've just heard stories of Porsche not covering cars if they had any ignitions above range 4, even with a CPO warranty and the ignitions happening before the car was sold as CPO.

Maybe I hang out on the forums too much reading horror stories.

I'll have to call them and see if the car is still there. If it's not then it sold on Saturday.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:31 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Boosted Josh
I've just heard stories of Porsche not covering cars if they had any ignitions above range 4, even with a CPO warranty and the ignitions happening before the car was sold as CPO.

I'll have to call them and see if the car is still there. If it's not then it sold on Saturday.
Of course the deny warranty claims, the DME serves nothing more then an out for Porsche to pay for claims, and for people on internet forums to discount the life expectancy of the engine.

I had a DME scan on my C2S that would make that one look like a virgin, loved the car, drove it the way it was suppose to be driven, and the car ran great. The DME is not a gauge as to when the car's engine will die, it just tells you how many times it has passed a limit that Porsche put in place to ensure that the engines last long enough to get them past the warranty period.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:49 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Boosted Josh

If the car is sold with a CPO warranty and a disclosure of the overrevs, I think PCNA would have a difficult time denying warranty claims...not that they wouldn't try.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:08 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I love the way cars get hammered right before people try to sell them. SUPER low miles are a real lack of use that can cause as many problems as too many miles. Always be a picky buyer. Depends if the car fills all your wants for color, equipment, dealer etc.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:15 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
Can someone give me a quick DME 101 course? I don't get it - if someone revs the car past 5k RPM, is that really a concern? I would think shifting near redline, while not done every time all the time, should be no issue. As long as the previous owner did not bounce it off the rev limiter or put it beyond redline, right?

I know getting the car up in the RPM range helps to provide healthy oil pressure and splash lubrication (one of the ways identified to help prevent IMS bearing issues) so why all this concern about a few occurrences where the driver may have been giving the car some healthy exercise?

Old 02-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by JTaylorGT
Can someone give me a quick DME 101 course? I don't get it - if someone revs the car past 5k RPM, is that really a concern? I would think shifting near redline, while not done every time all the time, should be no issue. As long as the previous owner did not bounce it off the rev limiter or put it beyond redline, right?

I know getting the car up in the RPM range helps to provide healthy oil pressure and splash lubrication (one of the ways identified to help prevent IMS bearing issues) so why all this concern about a few occurrences where the driver may have been giving the car some healthy exercise?

My concern was the range 5 ignitions which would mean the car was mechanically over revved to somewhere in between 8400 and 9500 RPM

That and that PNA could void the warranty if they decided they wanted to citing abuse.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:46 AM
Sharkys is infamous around these parts
Get in writing that PCA will not treat this car any different due to the DME results. Also, you should ask for new tires as they have already been on the car approx six years. If not, take an additional $1800 - $2000 off. Those tires probably feel like frozen hockey pucks if they aare still the original tires. You'll want to check if the TSBs we're addressed because you may be bringing the car back for poor cranking performance (just one of the minor, but time consuming issues with this model year). Good luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Would you even consider this car (DME Scan)