997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

cast or forged ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Former Vendor
One@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud of
When we are talking about forged wheels and weights, check this out!

Old 05-04-2012, 05:37 PM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
For me it's simple.........you get what you pay for!!!!

Tom

Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
I love my TE37, and can really tell the positive diff with them being lighter.

Originally Posted by NorthVan
I agree that the Cast are getting better, however I recently picked up a set of Volk TE37 wheels, they are about $4000 new, paid almost 1/2 of that shipped. They are like new, and lighter then any cast wheel.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:55 AM
AllForTheCash is infamous around these parts
+1 Forged.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:09 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
OP - what are you looking for? Just a change for change's sake? My determining question, almost always, is what does "X" give me that what I have doesn't already provide? If nothing, then why bother? If you're looking for lighter you'll have to save to buy forged. If you simply want a change of appearance, save your money and buy the exact wheels you want - when you can afford them. Never jump into the buying frenzy without a clear goal in mind.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Bond997S is infamous around these parts
Hello!

Integrity and reduced weight are my two most important parameters in choosing a rim. Sure, looks are very important too, but there are compromises, based on finances. On my last vehicle, I reduced each rim's weight by nine pounds!!! Using OZ one piece lightweight rims, I found a design that I could live with, i.e. looked good and was relatively easy to clean.

Cast rims are usually heavier, but beware: even BBS rims can be heavy relative to one another. I actually took all of my rims, in the example above (stock and OZ Racing) and weighed them individually on a UPS scale. I wrote the results on the inside of the rim and recorded it on my computer. The sizing was the same between stock and OZ, so I was comparing apples-to-apples.

FWIW: first weigh each OEM rim (without tire) and then start your search. If cost is paramount, try powder-coating--you can get some great results with this option.

Good luck!

Old 05-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Karl B is infamous around these parts
I love these threads since all the armchair racers like to spend your money.

I raced in the SCCA for 15 years in ITS, and have run a 1:02 at Lime Rock which is not slow.

I have never broken or even bent a wheel, and that included flipping a car just before the bridge at LRP. I agree that Forged is lighter and stronger, but are they worth 3x the price? Only your wallet knows for sure.

I purchased the Ruger mesh in silver for my basalt black 997. I have gotten more complements on that wheel than I can count. Everyone loves them, I just need to get the nice Porsche crest caps, mine are just silver and black.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:42 PM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Karl B
I love these threads since all the armchair racers like to spend your money.

I raced in the SCCA for 15 years in ITS, and have run a 1:02 at Lime Rock which is not slow.

I have never broken or even bent a wheel, and that included flipping a car just before the bridge at LRP. I agree that Forged is lighter and stronger, but are they worth 3x the price? Only your wallet knows for sure.

I purchased the Ruger mesh in silver for my basalt black 997. I have gotten more complements on that wheel than I can count. Everyone loves them, I just need to get the nice Porsche crest caps, mine are just silver and black.

I have to agree with Karl here. There is no doubt in my mind that a Forge wheel is stronger (and for the most part, lighter (which helps in unsprung weight discussions))

Having said that, I’ve been racing for many years and even when I hit the wall at 120mph last year at VIR, I didn’t bend a wheel. In all my years of being a track junkie, I have yet to see a cast wheel break or come apart from normal track use.

I say buy what you can afford and you like and not worry whether you are buying forged or cast.

As for me, my main driving will be on the street so I’m not worried about forged or cast.

Mark

Old 05-29-2012, 11:26 AM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
Yes, it can not be argued that most of us are not prof 'racers' here. However, to have a self proclaimed pro racers come here and state that non S cars are the same as S, and that forged wheels are the same as cast in 'normal' day applications is simply not the case.

Yes, we do not push our cars to the limits as they are pushed on the track, but our cars get pushed in every day traffic by all of us. I personally had cast wheels break and bend on me due to road conditions, which are more severe than a nice smooth track and I have personally experienced what it is to have a heavy cast wheel Vs light forged in traffic as well, and can say that acceleration is noticeable.

So while we may not be counting fractions of a second as some pros here, we still use our everyday vehicles for what they are inteded for - every day use. And extra car power and wheel strength is more noticeable in this applications than it may be on a prof track doing laps.

I don't believe we have many armchair racers here... those are the guys that are using math and hp numbers to come up with times without putting wheels on the ground. We are talking about functionality, and I stay firm in saying that a light weight forged wheel is a better choice than a heavy cast alternative for durablity and acceleration on public roads.

Last edited by DirtyVegas; 05-29-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Supeermen GT3 is infamous around these parts
You could understand people who maybe get a more cheaper rear wing, cheaper front diffuser or something like that, but going with forged wheels is something to think about for anyone that has the means for it. Besides the rubber and the brakes, the wheels are the most important part of the car that gives that last part before contacting the road. And we all know forged wheels are lighter and tougher than most stock ones!

Old 05-29-2012, 03:06 PM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
I can tell you based on my experience which unfortunately has been over many, many, many years.........and no matter what the product.......front doors, suits, shoes, watches etc........any time I chose price over quality.....100% of the time........I was sorry!. Always!

Just my 2 cents.

Tom

Old 05-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Karl B is infamous around these parts
I don't know about you but when I raced I pounded the apex curbs, had many off road trips and spins, and a fair amount of wheel to body contact. I think that kind of punishment is a little tougher than what my Porsche sees on a daily basis, and I live in a state that has terrible road maintenance.
Hitting a pothole at 55 is going to bend anything, especially with 30 section rubber.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:10 PM
Former Vendor
One@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud of
Karl B don't know about that completely. Not saying it can't happen, but a lot of our customers are from the New York area and NYC itself and you know what the roads look like there. Here is a video showing the natural habitat where our wheels are driven daily!