997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

cast or forged ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 02:39 PM
lenelsa is infamous around these parts
cast or forged ??

I'm just starting to research getting new wheels for my 997.1S.
Obviously cast is cheaper than forged, but cast is more in my price range.

Should I be aware of any gotcha's or issues with either ??

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:40 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Buy Forged, and if you are on a budget, buy a set of second hand ones.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:50 PM
last911 has a spectacular aura aboutlast911 has a spectacular aura about
I've driven Porsches since 1975. Never had a problem with cast wheels on the street or the track. Hit a curb hard enough, and you'll damage any kind of wheel. Lesson here, don't hit things.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:59 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
I will probably get the Ruger mesh. great price and great looking wheel. contact Matt at CampioniShop1. He will hook you up!

Last edited by JoelPirela; 02-21-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:16 PM
lenelsa is infamous around these parts
I was thinking of Victor Wheels Innsbruck in MAtte Black.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:26 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
forged................

Old 02-21-2012, 03:38 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Buy Forged, and if you are on a budget, buy a set of second hand ones.
+1

look-wise, not a big difference if its forged or cast..

but u can definitely feel the lighter forged wheels.. and it feels good

Old 02-21-2012, 03:45 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
I would love the victors if they had a little bit of concave at the rears, but then, it will look like the Rugers!

Old 02-21-2012, 06:04 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Ruger mesh black look super hottt!! Cant beat the price..

Old 02-22-2012, 09:11 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
just go cast and put the $ difference to something else. i went thru similar debate when i bought my OZ's. research at that time showed that a) as someone stated above, "if you hit something, any type of wheel will break", and b) the cast process has come a LONG way to catching up with forged.

there are def cast wheels out there as light (or lighter?) than forged and plenty strong for your purpose. speaking of strong, i've only ever seen 2 cracked wheels at the track...champion and HRE, and both seemingly from stress as opposed to hitting something. i'm merely stating a fact based on experience, not judging the manufacturers. point is, those are great wheels but anything can break under the right conditions.

buy what looks good to you, from a maker who has a good reputation, and that fits your wallet.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:45 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jjc4scab
forged................

+1

Especially if you plan on tracking your car, the strength of a forged wheel and lighter weight will make a difference.

I went with these:

Vorsteiner V-308 in gunmetal gray, 19" standard width, custom offset so I would not need spacers.

Last edited by lacrosse; 02-23-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Added picture
Old 02-22-2012, 09:50 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I agree that the Cast are getting better, however I recently picked up a set of Volk TE37 wheels, they are about $4000 new, paid almost 1/2 of that shipped. They are like new, and lighter then any cast wheel.

Originally Posted by spiffyjiff
just go cast and put the $ difference to something else. i went thru similar debate when i bought my OZ's. research at that time showed that a) as someone stated above, "if you hit something, any type of wheel will break", and b) the cast process has come a LONG way to catching up with forged.

there are def cast wheels out there as light (or lighter?) than forged and plenty strong for your purpose. speaking of strong, i've only ever seen 2 cracked wheels at the track...champion and HRE, and both seemingly from stress as opposed to hitting something. i'm merely stating a fact based on experience, not judging the manufacturers. point is, those are great wheels but anything can break under the right conditions.

buy what looks good to you, from a maker who has a good reputation, and that fits your wallet.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:44 AM
675Rider is infamous around these parts
Forged +1!
...speaking of forged, I do have a set of Champion RG19's in NB fitment for sale very very soon

Old 02-22-2012, 11:25 PM
PorscheJoe is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by lenelsa
I'm just starting to research getting new wheels for my 997.1S.
Obviously cast is cheaper than forged, but cast is more in my price range.

Should I be aware of any gotcha's or issues with either ??

Thanks in advance.

Forged are light & very expensive. I do know that several factory wheels are cast, including my Carrera S wheels. I really like the look of the Ruger Mesh(cast) & Wheel Dynamics in LA(Monterey Park) has them for a good price. Campioni also carries them, so just call & compare. I'm actually considering getting the black Ruger Mesh for myself after doing some research.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:30 AM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
There many nice looking, high quality cast wheels out there.
There are several forged wheels that aren't worth what they cost. Your taste and wallet determine the purchase.

As for me, my favorite wheel I ever had was the Maya GR5. It had a cast center with forged barrel and lip. My second favorite were the Work T1S. Also cast center with forged barrel and lip. There is something about that combo that made then ride really nice and look even better.
The wheels I have now are my 3rd favorite. They are all forged but have double rolled barrels and triple chrome plated lips. That adds a little weight but makes them almost indestructable. I have banged them many times they hold up well. They are MC3 Wheels. I think they changed their name to Forged Distributing. I intend to buy my next set from them as well....if they have a design I like.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: cast or forged ??