997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

oil drain after sitting...horrible noise@startup, expected?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 07:01 PM
pabafree1995 is infamous around these parts
oil drain after sitting...horrible noise@startup, expected?

Hey fellas - had a question , probably obvious to many of you.
But, if I let the car sit 7-8 days (rarely do, just when vacation, otherwise is a DD), when I start it up, it sounds horrible like the engine is going to hell! Loud lifter noise and plume of smoke via exhaust. After 60-90 seconds, the sound normalizes to the usual.

Does this happen due to oil near completely draining out of the engine?
Any way to prevent it? Is it normal for oil to near completely drain and have this issue on start up after sitting?

I asked the service advisor who gave the explanation of oil completely draining.

I am the guy whose 997.1 had a scored cyl (#6) back in Nov 2010 and eventually got a rebuild.

Thanks for helping out with your advice, much appreciated

Old 02-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry, not normal. Something's fubar'd. Take it back to the rebuilder although the usual warranty is usually one year. Get it checked out by some reputable shop before it's completely effd up. This should not be happening. Good luck, best wishes.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:42 PM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
Sometimes when the car sits for awhile oil can pool in the cylinders and cause a little smoke at start up. It seems to happen to me if I wash the car move it back in the garage and let it sit all weekend.

The loud noise was probably a stuck lifter. They are hydraulic so once the oil pressure gets up it unsticks. I wouldn't call it 'normal' but it's happened to me before.

Here's a link to a similar problems:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...y-lifters.html

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-s-engine.html

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-s-engine.html

Last edited by mattyf; 02-21-2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: added some links
Old 02-22-2012, 09:47 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
My car sat thru a few cold nights for Florida, 30's, and at start-up I had something similar, only lasted 30-45 seconds, no smoke though. Took to dealer and advised sometimes happens after sitting.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:51 AM
terpsred has a spectacular aura aboutterpsred has a spectacular aura about
I live in the mid-atlantic and we get some cold nights. I've never had a noisy startup. Every once in a while I'll get a puff of white smoke at startup, but that too is pretty rare. I have an '06 3.6L

Old 02-22-2012, 02:24 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
never an issue here. aside from a little puff of smoke after sitting over night.

if you are under warranty, i would have the engine checked out. compression leak down test at least. porsche covers 2 yrs on rebuilt engines. if you went through an independent, you are probably SOL.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:31 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Try to take a video with sound and show it to mechanic.
There are 2 major sounds at startup - chain rattle and valve lifters. My lifters do not knock, chain rattles a bit until tensioner gets oil. Nothing of it sounds 'like hell', may be 15% louder than normal engine sound.
When lifters knock it sound like somebody hits an empty pot with a metal spoon and when you add up rpms sound fastens then dissapears.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:24 PM
Domer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond repute
mine sits for weeks, starts normally, no smoke, normal sound

Old 02-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Chain tensioner is normally the rattle heard after it has bled down from standing. Imo lifters should not be that noisy. Are you getting full oil pressure immediately on startup? I've never seen smoke but it is reported. I assume this is a remanufactured/replacement motor. There could be a problem in the top end. I would call Porsche Customer Satisfaction and make a little noise of my own to a regional rep.