997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Aftermarket headunit install?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 02:16 PM
haivle is infamous around these parts
Aftermarket headunit install?

hi, im planning to buy the new appradio from pioneer sph-da100 for 499 and the bezel from euromotorsport for 300, and i was wondering what else will i need to do the install? can i do it myself or will i need a professional? im new at this have never done an audio install before. my car is a 2005 997 with bose thanks

Old 02-23-2012, 03:11 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Your factory system uses the MOST system, and an aftermarket head unit will not connect to the factory amp with out a connection device that converts the signal. You could also add another amp and rewire the entire system to the factory speakers if you want.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:15 PM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
I had a conversation with my audio installer today about doing the exact same thing. He does most, if not all, of the installs and mods for the local Porsche dealer. He has done all my company vehicles so I trust him 100%. He told me that there is a kit to purchase that allows you to use ALL the existing BOSE speakers and use the BOSE amp. he said the kit has all connectors to convert the signal from the Pioneer harness to the optical signal required by BOSE. You don't need an additional amp for the front speakers nor do you have to use the outputs on the head unit.

I was quoted a price of about $ 600.00 for the harness kit, plus install. He also told me that Pioneer is coming out with a new Nav unit that is designed to work with Android Operating phones. I'm going to wait for this unit come out, Mid March, and then look into this unit getting installed in my 07 C4S.

Since I come here looking for info all the time, I will post a thread of details of the install and pics of course and I will also supply my cost so everyone can get an idea of what I paid so you can either do better or get someone down in price so you don't have to pay that Porsche tax for owning a nice car!!

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area so you know where I'm at and I will be more than happy to provide you with the name of the installer...I'm sure he would love that too!!

Old 02-23-2012, 08:17 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by haivle
hi, im planning to buy the new appradio from pioneer sph-da100 for 499 and the bezel from euromotorsport for 300, and i was wondering what else will i need to do the install? can i do it myself or will i need a professional? im new at this have never done an audio install before. my car is a 2005 997 with bose thanks
Won't work. The signal from the PCM to the Bose amp is fiberoptic MOST. The Pioneer output signal is analog RCA. You have 2 options:

1) Get the $850 double-din kit from euromotorsport that has a analog RCA to fiberoptic MOST adapter for your Bose amp

2) Add an aftermarket amplifier. This will require a cable run from your Pioneer to the amp, and another cable run from the amp to the speaker wires that terminate at the Bose amp. You'll also need to make power connections. Problem is, you'll lose the equalization from the Bose amp, and your car will actually sound worse. The equalization is what makes the crappy Bose speakers sound passable in the harsh acoustic environment of the car.

Unless you're changing out the speakers and amp, you're probably better off getting that $850 kit. If you've never worked on the audio system before, you probably will want to take that to an installer, preferably one that is experienced with 997's.

Last edited by gasongasoff; 02-23-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:22 PM
im thinking about buying the 300 bezel and go with the amp route seems like the cheaper way to do it.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:32 PM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by gasongasoff
Won't work. The signal from the PCM to the Bose amp is fiberoptic MOST. The Pioneer output signal is analog RCA. You have 2 options:

1) Get the $850 double-din kit from euromotorsport that has a analog RCA to fiberoptic MOST adapter for your Bose amp

2) Add an aftermarket amplifier. This will require a cable run from your Pioneer to the amp, and another cable run from the amp to the speaker wires that terminate at the Bose amp. You'll also need to make power connections. Problem is, you'll lose the equalization from the Bose amp, and your car will actually sound worse. The equalization is what makes the crappy Bose speakers sound passable in the harsh acoustic environment of the car.

Unless you're changing out the speakers and amp, you're probably better off getting that $850 kit. If you've never worked on the audio system before, you probably will want to take that to an installer, preferably one that is experienced with 997's.
The kit my installer has does convert the RCA's to Optical..he did tell me that...I want to wait and see the kit before I say anything....but from what he was telling me it sounds like the MOST kit that I've seen on E-Bay for $ 850.00 and I'm going to get it for less...someone is making some money.

I've trusted this guy and he has done lot's of 997's, 1st and 2nd Gen and I've seen 3 Lambo's and high end Benz in the shop before. If someone doesn't want to spend the money for the kit, I can see why they would use the head unit amp for the highs and the BOSE for the subs...for me I like to keep it as close to stock as possible and use the existing amp instead of adding something else in the car to go wrong....just my 2 cents.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:35 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
im thinking about buying the 300 bezel and go with the amp route seems like the cheaper way to do it.
One thing I should add is that if you take it to a shop, labor is going to cost more since you're also installing an amp and running wires. There are also problems with noise and alternator whine in the 997's that they will hopefully be able to avoid. If you've never done an audio installation before, this is not a good first project. Also, trust me, the audio quality will be a lot worse without the Bose equalization (if this is something you care about) because you'll be left with really crappy speakers and uncorrected acoustic problems from the interior.

Unfortunately, the only way to make a Porsche Bose system sound better is to replace both the amp and the speakers (and preferably and a processor for acoustic correction OR an EQ and get it professionally tuned). Otherwise, you're better off just keeping the Bose amp, you'll avoid problems with noise (hiss) and whine, and you won't have to hack up your car as much.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:37 PM
i see, so you recommend getting the kit for euromotorsport instead?

Old 02-25-2012, 07:45 AM
jbauza is infamous around these parts
I have a 07 C2s and had a Piooner Navic120 installed, replaced the speakers minus the center one with Focals and put an amp in the trunk. The shop was able to connect the Bose subwoofer to the headunit with no problem. Sound is muchbetter than the original system and the $ difference over just using the harness was about $600.00. Well worth the money. I need to add that 6 mo. before I had replaced the exhaust with headers, 200Cats and mufflers from AWE and still can enjoy music when I feel like it.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:13 AM
i see, so you recommend getting the kit for euromotorsport instead?
If you're planning to keep your stock Bose speakers, and you care about the quality of the audio, then it's probably better to use a analog RCA to fiberoptic MOST adapter of some sort. The Euromotorsport is one option. You might want to check with a local installer (one that is very familiar with 997's) to see what products they have, especially if you're not planning to do the work yourself.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:41 AM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Picking up my 997.2 / Bose Monday.. Benchmark in Seattle installing kenwood 6990 with rest of the audio left original stock. Not sure yet how they do it but they're very experienced and confident it's going to be what I'm looking for sound-wise. Although my main reason for installing the HU was all-in-one garmin nav and sat radio, not perfect sound.. But am hoping it'll rock

Old 02-28-2012, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by nicoli
Picking up my 997.2 / Bose Monday.. Benchmark in Seattle installing kenwood 6990 with rest of the audio left original stock. Not sure yet how they do it but they're very experienced and confident it's going to be what I'm looking for sound-wise. Although my main reason for installing the HU was all-in-one garmin nav and sat radio, not perfect sound.. But am hoping it'll rock
Say, does the 6990 have the voice command thing on the gps were you can "say" the address rather than punch it in with your finger?

Old 02-29-2012, 12:16 AM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gasongasoff
Say, does the 6990 have the voice command thing on the gps were you can "say" the address rather than punch it in with your finger?
I actually don't know yet. Still waiting on picking up the car. Just heard tonight, the Nav-TV interface harness they are using to connect the head unit to the rest of the Bose stock in the car was apparently defective and making static/scratch noise, so (Benchmark) ordered another one and it needs to be installed. However, the car is now at a nearby detail shop until wed/thursday getting a clear bra. When they call me, I'll come down and pick up the car, take it back to Benchmark and have them install the working (hopefully) unit, and find out exactly what's what. I hope it does, I like that feature on our portable Garmin.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:11 AM
cavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by nicoli
I actually don't know yet. Still waiting on picking up the car. Just heard tonight, the Nav-TV interface harness they are using to connect the head unit to the rest of the Bose stock in the car was apparently defective and making static/scratch noise, so (Benchmark) ordered another one and it needs to be installed. However, the car is now at a nearby detail shop until wed/thursday getting a clear bra. When they call me, I'll come down and pick up the car, take it back to Benchmark and have them install the working (hopefully) unit, and find out exactly what's what. I hope it does, I like that feature on our portable Garmin.
Any chance you can post video of it in action after you pick it up?

Old 02-29-2012, 07:40 AM
Originally Posted by cavsct94
Any chance you can post video of it in action after you pick it up?
Absolutely

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket headunit install?