997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 Over Revs from DME

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 03:59 PM
jabed92694 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SToronto
Here is a useful thread and good explanation....

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...tive-post.html

Thanks. Where is the redline on the 997 non turbo? I'm not at the car but was it 7k?

Old 02-24-2012, 04:47 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
How about this?

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
People worry too much about over revs. Until I see someone report an engine failure and warranty denial because of over revs (not that it hasn't happened or won't happen, just haven't seen anyone report it) I choose not to be concerned.
Does this count?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ew-engine.html

I think this is a legit denial based on catastrophic failure linked to engine over rev because of missed down shift.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Myrev limitor was raised with Softronic and I used the extra 500'rpm all the time.
Amen and if the motor breaks, you just have to fix the motor! Not the end of the world........

Oh, and in defense of all the "older gentlemen" puttin' around out there, well, come play with us at the track sometime. Just be sure to bring your "A" game!

Old 02-24-2012, 05:44 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PT Doc
Does this count?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ew-engine.html

I think this is a legit denial based on catastrophic failure linked to engine over rev because of missed down shift.
Probably...so we have 1. I never said it hasn't happened - there are probably others...but you don't see many reports. Did your search criteria turn up any others?

Old 02-24-2012, 05:54 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Probably...so we have 1. I never said it hasn't happened - there are probably others...but you don't see many reports. Did your search criteria turn up any others?
Didnt search. Just remembered within the last week the lad that stated he doesnt know how to downshift and had an engine failure of some sort. Read the post since it is quite funny. Almost difficult to believe the owner.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:10 PM
spoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the rough
I almost just bought a car which was CPO'ed but had a pretty ridiculous DME scan.

Range 1: 48,779
Range 2: 11,729
Range 3: 2,931
Range 4: 504
Range 5: 5
Range 6: 0

The car itself was clean, with a perfect maintenance record. It did have 2-3 previous owners though. I'm frankly surprised that the dealership would CPO a car with a DME scan this bad.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:36 PM
jabed92694 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by spoddle
I almost just bought a car which was CPO'ed but had a pretty ridiculous DME scan.

Range 1: 48,779
Range 2: 11,729
Range 3: 2,931
Range 4: 504
Range 5: 5
Range 6: 0

The car itself was clean, with a perfect maintenance record. It did have 2-3 previous owners though. I'm frankly surprised that the dealership would CPO a car with a DME scan this bad.

If the dealers aren't concerned, then why should we??? They don't even screen for over revs taking cars in for CPO. So if they can warranty a car with apparent over revs then how can they deny a claim for over revs??

Old 02-24-2012, 07:49 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jabed92694
If the dealers aren't concerned, then why should we??? They don't even screen for over revs taking cars in for CPO. So if they can warranty a car with apparent over revs then how can they deny a claim for over revs??
This exactly is what i have been trying to tell all this time...

To a layman, all cancers are terminal (life ending) and all head injuries are fatal but ask a physician and he might not be concerned about the cancer or the serious head injury.

The point is, there are just too many variables when it comes to over revs and just 'coz a car has few over rev doesn't mean the car has a salvage title.

There's a reason why Porsche CPO cars even with over revs but then again some of us here on the forums probably knows some thing about over revs that even Porsche themselves don't know

Old 02-24-2012, 09:39 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
These overrev threads take on a life of their own. I know someone who had a money shift in stage 6 and had catastrophic damage. These things do count. Stage 5 is bad and can be a money shift if enough ignitions occur. 4's are not really a huge deal unless there are a ton of them. 1-3 are not a big deal at all. 1 is just bouncing off the rev limiter on an upshift, or get counted as you pass through on your way to a higher stage. You will know because they occur at the same time all the way through the range. If i see a car with a lot of ignitions in stage 5, forget buying it. 1-4 I am not worried. 6 and I wonder why the car is still running.