997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

coilover bilstein noise / question....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 10:06 AM
red997cab is infamous around these parts
coilover bilstein noise / question....

i recently had the coilover pasm bilsteins installed on my cab, along with h&r bars - and i am very happy with results...it handles like it should have from the factory all parts were installed at my local porsche dealer

however i am getting a clicking / binding noise from the front springs as i turn the wheels and the car is not moving, or moving at very low speed, say less than 5mph. at speed all is good.

it sounds like as you turn, the front springs bind in the housing just a little, and then unload. it does this with steering input in all directions (again only at a stop or very low speed)

but i am curious if this is normal? could it be something was missed on the install? if it is normal, are there any solutions?

thanks in advance for any feedback

Last edited by red997cab; 02-24-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:11 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Happened to me on my car when they were first installed, and the sound went away after a while.

The shop that did the install checked out the noise and the install and said it was fine.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Great, thanks NorthVan!

Do you remember how long it took? I don't drive mine a lot, probably less than 5k a year. It's an 06 and only has 28k on it, the Bilsteins were put in maybe 1,500 miles ago.

Thanks again for the info

Old 02-24-2012, 01:18 PM
dark911 has a spectacular aura aboutdark911 has a spectacular aura aboutdark911 has a spectacular aura about
Mine is like that too, the noise comes from the ball bearing seat at the top of the suspension. Mine went away but once in a awhile it comes back. It doesnt hurt the car, just annoying.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:21 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by red997cab
Great, thanks NorthVan!

Do you remember how long it took? I don't drive mine a lot, probably less than 5k a year. It's an 06 and only has 28k on it, the Bilsteins were put in maybe 1,500 miles ago.

Thanks again for the info
Sorry, I don't remember. But once it was checked I was OK, besides if you drive fast it doesn't make the noise, so....

BTW drive your car more, they are not meant to be garage queens

Old 02-24-2012, 02:48 PM
Yea, yea I know...the miles are too low...

While her mileage is low, she's driven with "spirit"...at least that's what my service advisor said after looking at my DME - lol

Really appreciate the feedback - thanks so much!

Old 02-24-2012, 02:56 PM
While her mileage is low, she's driven with "spirit"...at least that's what my service advisor said after looking at my DME - lol
That's the way they are meant to be driven, my service adviser told me that I abused my C2S

Old 02-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
i recently had the coilover pasm bilsteins installed on my cab, along with h&r bars - and i am very happy with results...it handles like it should have from the factory all parts were installed at my local porsche dealer

however i am getting a clicking / binding noise from the front springs as i turn the wheels and the car is not moving, or moving at very low speed, say less than 5mph. at speed all is good.

it sounds like as you turn, the front springs bind in the housing just a little, and then unload. it does this with steering input in all directions (again only at a stop or very low speed)

but i am curious if this is normal? could it be something was missed on the install? if it is normal, are there any solutions?

thanks in advance for any feedback
Do you have the new Damptronic type featuring "curved drop links" or the old type with "straight drop links"? If yours are straight, that's the problem and it's well known and you should be able to get new links from your supplier or Bilstein under warranty. The new ones are a design improvement but can be idiosyncratic as well depending on how much the car is lowered as they are not adjustable. If you want a complete solution, install some after market drop links from Tarett Engineering which are completely adjustable. Use the search function up top - there are a lot of threads on this topic. Best,

Old 02-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Steamboat
Do you have the new Damptronic type featuring "curved drop links" or the old type with "straight drop links"? If yours are straight, that's the problem and it's well known and you should be able to get new links from your supplier or Bilstein under warranty. The new ones are a design improvement but can be idiosyncratic as well depending on how much the car is lowered as they are not adjustable. If you want a complete solution, install some after market drop links from Tarett Engineering which are completely adjustable. Use the search function up top - there are a lot of threads on this topic. Best,
No idea which ones I have, but from what you've said, I've got to assume they are the straight ones.

I'll figure it which ones I have, do a search and check out the Tarett pieces

Thanks so much !

Old 02-24-2012, 07:22 PM
vraxinus is infamous around these partsvraxinus is infamous around these parts
i recently also installed bilstein coilvers PSS10 on my car and changed the drop links with the tarrett engineering drop links. No sounds or noise from it. I suggest you change yours with the tarrett engineering drop links as i heard issues with bilstein coilvers that the droplinks can pop out over time.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:50 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
there are 2 possible issues with springs installs.
first one is about proper spring hat used - search for it.
second is a kind of a trick - get a piece of black electrical tape and wrap it around coils where tender spring connects to primary spring and a spacer between them. after those 2 are bind together they will stp clanking at small bumps.

Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2012, 09:49 PM
dk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to behold
I lived with this problem for a long time and essentially tried everything including new strut bearings, nylotron washers, adjusting ride height etc. I was told my my installer that it was "normal". Then I had a terminal coilover failure. The culprit were incorrectly installed droplinks. Which BTW, Bilstein claimed was the cause of excessive noise, ie binding of the springs when entering and exiting driveways. Long story short, I replaced the drops and coilover and had the droplinks installed per Bilstein recommendations. And voila, no more noise. I had a thread about this on the Turbo thread which got pretty nasty but it's informative.

I had them installed incorrectly by a very reputable installer in Los Angeles. I had to have the drops switched out at another shop in Orange county which has there own race team so I assume they know what they are doing. I had to specifically tell them the configuration of the drop links otherwise they would have done them incorrectly too.

Here's the correct installation per Bilstein. This is the drivers side looking forward.

Name:  correct.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  65.8 KB

Old 11-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
Just got my Coilovers done (damptronics) and same exact problem at clicking sound whenever turning the wheel I was told the solution is either camber plates or something called a top hat right now the shop which installed them is going to apply redline Grease and see if that helps

Last edited by Tarek307; 11-01-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I have camber plates only and they click. Want to know how many expansion joints there are between Cincinnati and Columbus?

Last edited by Alan C.; 11-02-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:41 AM
tunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of light
it's normal guys.
I have pss9 pss10 on all my Porsche that I have and I had.
It's just like that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: coilover bilstein noise / question....