997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

iTronic Bluetooth/Ipod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:28 AM
terryp88 is infamous around these parts
iTronic Bluetooth/Ipod

Purchased the iTronic Bluetooth/Ipod unit from CarTronics for my 2008 C2. My understanding is that the unit is adapted from the mObridge unit, but the guys at CarTronics can correct me if I am wrong.

The kit from CarTronics came with everything you need to do the installation, including the wire taps for power and ground.

After debating between the trunk versus in-cabin installation, I elected to do the in-cabin installation. The installation was very easy. The CarTronics website has video that shows how to remove the PCM. If you watch the video, it takes about five minutes to remove the PCM. The fiber optic connection and constant power source are right on the back of the PCM. I put a plastic shoebox over the gearshift lever which created a shelf to rest the PCM on while I was working.

The CarTronics website doesn't have a Porsche specific video to show how to connect the wiring, but if you watch the Mercedes videos, the connections are basically the same. You can also download Porsche specific installation tips from their website.

I elected to install the iTronic unit on the passenger side behind the glove box. Some people have talked about installing the unit behind the HVAC controls, but that seemed a little cramped to me and I was worried about bending the fiber optic wires too much. If you look underneath the glove box, there is a cover for the passenger footwell that connects to the bottom of the glovebox with three rotating clips. If you remove that cover, you will find a carpeted shelf behind and to the right of the glovebox along the wall of the passenger compartment. The shelf provided a nice padded area for the unit so I didn't have to worry about the unit vibrating against something, and with the cover removed, I could run all of the wires over to the PCM. I used velcro to secure the unit to the shelf and then adhesive wire brackets to secure the wires to the top of passenger footwell so that nothing moves around. The wires supplied by CarTronics are more than long enough to reach the PCM from this location. When you put the cover back up, the unit and the wires are out of sight for a clean installation.

I have a phone holder that rests to the right of the HVAC controls, so I ran the Ipod connection to that location behind the side covers for the center stack. You could also easily run the Ipod wire to the glovebox or center console compartment if you prefer to keep your phone out of sight.
I installed the microphone next to the center light cluster as recommended by CarTronics. The microphone wires tuck easily behind the headliner, but I added a couple of small adhesive wire clips to keep the wires tucked out of sight.

The whole install took about two hours or so, but part of that time was spent deciding on a location and figuring the best route for the wires. I also took my time when removing the PCM and tapping into the existing power and ground wires. If I did it again, I could probably do the whole thing in a hour.

It was easy to pair my phone with the unit and everything is operating as advertised so far. I will provide a separate thread with my thoughts on the operation of the iTronic unit once I have played with it for a few days.

If anyone has questions about the unit or the install, please feel free to PM me.