997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The three kinds of Porsche owners...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 06:43 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
The three kinds of Porsche owners...

While searching for my 996 5 years ago and most recently after searching for my 997 that I just bought last November, I discovered that there are two opposite kinds of Porsche owners out there.
The leasee type 1: A professional that is attracted to the brand by its image and want a performance car that can be used as a daily drive. This car will most likely be automatic, as the owner doesn't know how to drive stick. These are the lamest cars available on the secondary market. Minimal options from the factory to keep the monthly payment as low as possible and not a single TLC moment on the life of the car. Took the dog to the vet on this car and there is proof of that! No preventive maintenance and only warranty related work and the mandatory oil changes from the manufacturer. These are the ones that will have more wear and tear, bolsters on the leather seats, scratches on the center console and shift *****, soft touch plastic will show the lack of love. Coffee stains around the cup holder and god forbid, cigarette ashes. The front lights are probably yellowing from the lack of care and paint has swirl marks, rock chips and scratches; wheels are surely to show some curb rash and coolant may be non factory...

The leasee type 2: This one is a little better... took care of the car, added a few upgraded pieces but you are probably missing some that he took out when trading in the vehicle... probably it had some great suspension. tire/wheel combo and even some exhaust but now, it's back to mostly stock. This kind of car is the second best option you can get. Everything is well taken care of and the replacement parts (exhaust, wheels/tires, suspension) may be in like new condition, since the type 2 probably swap those parts early on the life of the car to be put back close to the trade up day.

The enthusiast: The OCD, picky owner. While more difficult to find using the regular channels (autotrader, cars.com, etc), this one is the one to get. Most likely, all the upgrades where done tastefully. No rice stuff here, no weird stickers or goudy non OEM stuff. Even if the owner takes some of the stuff back to the original condition prior to the sale, you will still get a lot of car with some great options.

The reason I posted this, is because a co-worker offered me more than what I paid for my car this past November and when I told him that he could probably find a newer car for that money, he said that all the cars he is seeing on Autotrader and cars.com are great but they lack carbon fiber pieces or lots of little nice upgrades that makes the car complete and more enjoyable...

If you are reading this, congratulations, you belong to the third kind and the next owner of your car will deeply appreciate it!

I'm missing some other kind?

joel

Old 02-29-2012, 08:03 AM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Haha, nice write up and we get to play the hero in the end!!! Seriously, I've been having a touch of aftermarket buyers remorse over some expensive (for me) upgrades last week. But, haven't gotten the car back and had time to appreciate anything yet. I find I'm parking the loaner car really carefully though. One week without the 911 is crazy making. Can't believe how attached I've become after only being a PCA member a short while. Nothing else compares...whew. Putting in the side markers and SmartTop myself was awesome though

Old 02-29-2012, 08:17 AM
PBR ME is infamous around these partsPBR ME is infamous around these parts
Im actually type 2 and 3!

but with different cars!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:18 AM
texas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura about
Interesting observations. Yes, you are missing many types of owners. I am an enthusiast when it comes to anything functional about the car (engine, suspension, ect.), but I sometimes neglect cosmetic aspects. For instance my front bumper is a mess, but you cant tell unless you really look. I'll get it fixed eventually along with all the other minor cosmetic wear-n-tear.
In other words, I love to drive; I like to look.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:18 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
At least we are not alone!!! there is a support group!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:00 AM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
I am type 3....With all of my cars...oil changed at least twice as frequently as recommended and after track time. Always clean, no food in cars (except wife's wagon which is disaster inside). Everything fixed immediately. I am so OCD that I never have to post my car to sell. Always have a waitlist of friends wanting to buy my cars. Drives the rest of the family crazy though

Old 02-29-2012, 09:09 AM
it was funny how my 6 year old daughter told my wife from the back seat: "mommy, don't touch the AC buttons with your hands" because she just put lotion on them. Priceless little girl!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:23 AM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
it was funny how my 6 year old daughter told my wife from the back seat: "mommy, don't touch the AC buttons with your hands" because she just put lotion on them. Priceless little girl!

if my wife had some lotion on her hands i would make her touch a different kind of ****.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:24 AM
b2sc is infamous around these parts
Another thing to consider is how they’re sold. Types 1 and 2 listed above will trade it back when the lease is up and the dealer will be able to CPO the vehicle which makes it very attractive to buyers (like me).

Type 3, The enthusiasts (again, like me), OTOH, may hold the car a while and will likely sell the car outright, not thru a dealer. These cars may be meticulously maintained but won’t be purchased w/a CPO.

I’m looking to upgrade my old E39 540i to something more current like an E60 550i or a M-B CLS550. The only one of those I’ll buy is thru a dealer w/CPO. I know there are cheaper, well maintained cars out there, but it’s a measurable risk buying private.

So it’s a gamble any way you look at…

Last edited by b2sc; 02-29-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:31 AM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
I have seen porsches parked in the streets of manhatten coverd in bird Sh$t hasent been prob washed since lease began all 4 rims scuffed and parked on the scariest corners on the street.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:47 AM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
I fall kind of in the middle. I keep my cars clean and washed NO FOOD EVER! However, I'm not a big "aftermarket" kind of guy. I like stock and between the cost of aftermarket gear, the lack of reimbursement when you sell it and difficulty of installation...I just stay away from it. The most in-depth aftermarket part my Caby will ever get is the SmartTop, which actually took me a month to decide I was going to attempt to install. I'm terrified I'm going to screw something up and void the warranty. Thankfully, the ST was a breeze and it works so incredibly well I would recommend it to everyone. Otherwise, stock for me

Old 02-29-2012, 10:31 AM
911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of
Great write up

Old 02-29-2012, 10:33 AM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
I'm definitely a 'hands-on enthusiast' type. Although the Porsche marque is great when it leaves the factory I have done 'tasteful' (IMHO) and 'stealth' aftermarket upgrades or mods.

No food, clean shoes, hate driving a dirty car (sometimes hard to avoid w/ black), walk a mile for a 'no-ding' parking spot, never park beneath trees & light standards, never allow valet parkers to touch my car and finally enclosed overnight parking is a must.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:53 AM
JPSJR is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AP 997S
I'm definitely a 'hands-on enthusiast' type. Although the Porsche marque is great when it leaves the factory I have done 'tasteful' (IMHO) and 'stealth' aftermarket upgrades or mods.

No food, clean shoes, hate driving a dirty car (sometimes hard to avoid w/ black), walk a mile for a 'no-ding' parking spot, never park beneath trees & light standards, never allow valet parkers to touch my car and finally enclosed overnight parking is a must.
I'm so like you and then I go over the top with more of my OCD issues. Hate when I drive my car to the dealer and the porter just finished smoking a cigarette and gets into the car and parks it else where while I wait !! Can't stand the smell.
Joel, great thread. Plus one rep!!

Old 02-29-2012, 11:40 AM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by JPSJR
I'm so like you and then I go over the top with more of my OCD issues. Hate when I drive my car to the dealer and the porter just finished smoking a cigarette and gets into the car and parks it else where while I wait !! Can't stand the smell.
Joel, great thread. Plus one rep!!
Dealer porters and car washers are the lowest rung of the dealership ladder. Keep them away from your car at all costs. If you must have your car serviced by a dealer (mine's out of warranty so it never goes there) refuse the wash job. I've seen them drop their wash mitts & drying towels on the ground and then simply go and use them . . . dirt, debris and all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The three kinds of Porsche owners...