997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Bluetooth and Iphone 4 - 997.2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:43 PM
griffinto is infamous around these parts
Bluetooth and Iphone 4 - 997.2

I'm having issues connecting my Iphone 4 via bluetooth to PCM. My phone recognizes PCM under the bluetooth section. When I tap on it the PCM asks if I authorize, I click accept, then asks for a PIN #, then the phone asks for the pin and then I tap pair. I receive an error on the phone saying it is out of range or PCM isn't turned on which it is. I tried searching for the device via the PCM and it doesn't seem to work that way.

Any advise on what I am doing wrong or other methods?

Old 03-04-2012, 11:33 PM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
Are you 100% positive you have Bluetooth enabled on your 997? I learned the hard way that my car does NOT have the Bluetooth factory option, only Iphone/USB. The symptoms I saw were very similar to yours. PCM tried to sync, asking for my pin #, and then getting an error. Auto Gallery (Porsche dealer here in SoCal) ran a detailed build print out for my car, and low and behold, no Bluetooth.

I was quoted $1500 in parts and labor for a factory install.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:57 PM
spyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by daberlin
Are you 100% positive you have Bluetooth enabled on your 997? I learned the hard way that my car does NOT have the Bluetooth factory option, only Iphone/USB. The symptoms I saw were very similar to yours. PCM tried to sync, asking for my pin #, and then getting an error. Auto Gallery (Porsche dealer here in SoCal) ran a detailed build print out for my car, and low and behold, no Bluetooth.

That sounds high. When I got my car it had BT, but no Aux/ipod/USB (the setup under the arm rest). I negotiated that in the deal and it was about a $400 part + about 1hr of install labor. I think it took the guy 30 mins.

The BT part is $700 at Suncoast. I'd be surprised if there was more than 1 hr of install.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:48 AM
griffinto is infamous around these parts

I didn't know it was a separate option. I just looked at the report and it is not on there. That is odd that it sees the phone though.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:44 AM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by griffinto
I didn't know it was a separate option. I just looked at the report and it is not on there. That is odd that it sees the phone though.
The reason why it sees the phone is because all of the PCM hardware for BT is already there, what is NOT there is the code necessary to be enabled by the Porsche dealer from the factory to make it work.

Now, the parts, including microphone, etc. need to be purchased ~ $750 and installed in the car, which was said earlier in the thread, but I'd be very interested to know what quote you received to enable the PCM code and complete the mic wiring, etc. I was quoted roughly $750 for this labor and code enabling. ~ $1500.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:46 AM
spyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by griffinto
BT was an option on the 2009, I don't know when they made it standard. It does show on my options list as "Bluetooth Phone Interface". I have an earlier production 2009 model (my steering wheel has the older style triangle airbag, not the round airbag on current models).

Old 03-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by spyerx
That sounds high. When I got my car it had BT, but no Aux/ipod/USB (the setup under the arm rest). I negotiated that in the deal and it was about a $400 part + about 1hr of install labor. I think it took the guy 30 mins.

The BT part is $700 at Suncoast. I'd be surprised if there was more than 1 hr of install.
Auto Gallery quoted me $1500. If you know where I can do it cheaper please hook a brother up.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Auto Gallery quoted me $1500. If you know where I can do it cheaper please hook a brother up.
I'd try sun coast and ask them for the labor estimate. I bought my car at Circle in Long Beach. You might give them a call too. $750 implies 4-5 hours labor, which seems crazy, but who knows.

Checkout this thread, seems to indicate some of the behavior you're talking about: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...uestion-2.html

Old 03-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by spyerx
I'd try sun coast and ask them for the labor estimate. I bought my car at Circle in Long Beach. You might give them a call too. $750 implies 4-5 hours labor, which seems crazy, but who knows.

Checkout this thread, seems to indicate some of the behavior you're talking about: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...uestion-2.html
Thanks. The part cost at Sun Coast was roughly the same as Auto Gallery. I too was stunned at the labor cost - they explained it was due to the wiring work required. I suppose the alternative could be buying the parts with Sun Coast (and hoping they CORRECTLY enter my VIN with Porsche), and getting an Indie to install it.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
As mentioned, just having the UAC (aux, usb, ipod) does not equate to Bluetooth, those are two different options from the factory. (my car has both).

As the bluetooth hardware is likely installed in many if not all PCM's in the 997.2's its possible your phone may see a bluetooth radio from the PCM, but unless you have purchase the Bluetooth-Phone option for the car and had that option enabled, you will not be able to connect to the PCM for hands-free bluetooth functionality. (You have 2 options really: bluetooth hands free (your phone is the phone) and bluetooth SIM (our car is the phone but just accesses your phone's sim over bluetooth vs you plugging in the SIM into the PCM).

So first, verify that your car has Bluetooth handsfree/SIM installed and active. YOu would have built in microphones in the car, if it did.. I think they are above the steering column near the instrument cluster. There is probably also a bluetooth submenu in the PCM to configure things.. but its been so long since I set mine up I'm not sure at the momment.