997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

$2 DRL solution for fog lights

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:12 PM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mdhayes
Can you tell me where to get this special diode? I simply bridged the two wires, but had a dead battery all the time. I finally had dealer update for Canada Daytime Running Lights, but all the lights come on (marker lights) and headlights at 40% of regular beam (or so Porsche Dealer says). I would rather have just the fogs on during the day as DRLs. Where do you get the diode?
Just search for 1N4001 - 1A Diode. In the US you can get from radioshack, digikey, mouser, all online.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:01 PM
amge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond repute
Can you tell me where to get this special diode? I simply bridged the two wires, but had a dead battery all the time. I finally had dealer update for Canada Daytime Running Lights, but all the lights come on (marker lights) and headlights at 40% of regular beam (or so Porsche Dealer says). I would rather have just the fogs on during the day as DRLs. Where do you get the diode?
See my post from April 25 this year.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:00 PM
martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !
radio shack

Old 04-06-2015, 12:55 PM
oscswa is infamous around these parts
Just did the Diode version of this mod (PSPorsche post # 221) and it was so easy, took all of 10 minutes.

Here are my results.

Lights in OFF:

Result:

Home:

Result:

Parking Lights:

Result:

Parking Lights with Fog:

Result:

Headlights:

Result:

Headlights with Fog:

Result:

Headlights with front and rear fog:

Result:

Last edited by oscswa; 04-06-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:14 PM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Superb and very explicit. Great stuff.

I suppose you have the Dectane light in the front...?

Yves

Old 04-06-2015, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by yvesvidal
Superb and very explicit. Great stuff.

I suppose you have the Dectane light in the front...?

Yves
No exactly sure, the box said DEPO on it so not sure if they are the same.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:29 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Yes, that is the same. By the way, the paint on your car looks absolutely stunning. Mine is black too, but chipped all over the place in the front.

Yves

Old 04-07-2015, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by yvesvidal
Yes, that is the same. By the way, the paint on your car looks absolutely stunning. Mine is black too, but chipped all over the place in the front.

Yves
Thanks, I was lucky to have a clear bra covering half of the front of the car. You should look at this product, I have had good results on paint chips.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:14 AM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
See pictures 9 and 10 in oscswa's post #274, above.

Last edited by PSPorsche; 04-09-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:20 PM
nwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond repute
I have a '12 997.2 GTS and am attempting the diode hack. However, I do not have the same colored wires. Here's what I have:

1) Red
2) Yellow/Red
3) Gray
4) Black
5)<empty>

6) Brown
7) White
8) <empty>
9) <empty>
10) Gray/Red

To which wires do I connect the cathode and diode jumpers?

Old 04-10-2015, 07:39 AM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
According to utkinpol in post #1, for 997.1, A2 is the automatic light; it is the yellow/red wire and is the second one in your list. A5 is the fog light; it is the yellow/white wire and should be the fifth one in your list, but it is missing.

Assuming the yellow/red wire is the same for the 997.2, I think you are 1/2 way there. If you could get a hold of a 997.2 wiring diagram, you may be able to figure out which wire corresponds to the FOG light.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:44 AM
nwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond repute
xchgh: That's exactly what I'm trying to do but the wiring harness for the 997.2 is different than the 997.1 I'd like to insert the diode instead of using the OBC stalk on a 997.2 to turn on/off DRLs.

Last edited by nwGTS; 04-11-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:29 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
thank you for this hack

Old 06-07-2015, 08:45 AM
JCGMS is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by myw
thank you for this hack
Yes - thank you!

I have been running diode hack on mine over a year now on a daily driver 2006 C2 with no battery issues.

My issue now is that the light housing (original, not DRL LED) is starting to look cloudy and nasty, and I suspect it's due to the heat of the always on fog light.

Does anyone know of if there's a suitable LED replacement for the H8 35W? Seems like people were using hoen xenonmatch but hadn't found a good LED replacement: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...led-white.html

Will replacing bulbs help this from getting worse?

Old 07-30-2015, 11:23 AM
rickdogg82 is infamous around these parts
Easy mod. Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: $2 DRL solution for fog lights