997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

$2 DRL solution for fog lights

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:07 PM
lowbee is infamous around these parts
What's the best setup for Canadian cars that already have the low beam and parking lights on all the time as DRL ?

I have the LED signal/fog lights and did this $2 DRL hack so the fog lights are on with the low beam and the parking lights. I am thinking to have the low beam disabled and change the side marker to function as turn signals, looking for more input. Btw, I kinda like having the parking lights on automatically if there is a way to program it without the low beam.... TIA.

Last edited by lowbee; 09-11-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:47 AM
mienene is infamous around these parts
now when you put light selector into 'home' position your front fogs will light up when engine is working. 'home' function also works as usual when you shut down engine and fogs turn off in 30sec after you exit the car.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:26 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Doesn't this MOD also light the rear running lights, or is it just the front fog lights? If the rears too, I think that makes the transition from no braking to braking less discernible during daytime driving. The transition from no lights to brake lights during the day is more dramatic and therefore safer. If it just lights the fronts, then proceed!

Originally Posted by mienene
now when you put light selector into 'home' position your front fogs will light up when engine is working. 'home' function also works as usual when you shut down engine and fogs turn off in 30sec after you exit the car.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:18 PM
YellowDragon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by lowbee
What's the best setup for Canadian cars that already have the low beam and parking lights on all the time as DRL ?

I have the LED signal/fog lights and did this $2 DRL hack so the fog lights are on with the low beam and the parking lights. I am thinking to have the low beam disabled and change the side marker to function as turn signals, looking for more input. Btw, I kinda like having the parking lights on automatically if there is a way to program it without the low beam.... TIA.
Originally Posted by Petza914
Doesn't this MOD also light the rear running lights, or is it just the front fog lights? If the rears too, I think that makes the transition from no braking to braking less discernible during daytime driving. The transition from no lights to brake lights during the day is more dramatic and therefore safer. If it just lights the fronts, then proceed!
With this mod, fogs are the only lights on with no other lights (i.e., no rear, no low, no side markers) when the selector is at 'HOME'. You can of course have other lights on when you turn the selector in different position to turn on other corresponding lights.

I got the Durametric Pro to change the coding so the side markers become turn signal which I totally like! I'm not sure if there's other way of doing it other than changing the code.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:31 PM
Ok, either my mind/eyes are going or there is a light sensor on the 997 that I don't know about. So here's the story. Light switch always at home position, car is parked & locked

Case 1 (car inside garage or out at night): I use remote to open door, fog lights and tail lights comes on for 30 seconds then turn themselves off.

Case 2 (car outside during the day): I use remote to open door, the usual signal light flash once BUT no fog lights or tail lights coming on.

Is this happening only to my car cause I didn't see others bring this up ?
Do we have a light sensor somewhere that tell the car not to turn on the fog light in daytime when I hit the remote to open my doors ?

Old 09-17-2016, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by nnianie
What happens when you switch the lights to the "on" possition?

See post #274, this is exactly how my lights work now....
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4320222

Old 09-19-2016, 09:54 AM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
- use durmetric cable to turn off mandatory drl
- use 2$ hack to force fog lights on as drl when in 'home' position

a few of us did the hack right on my driveway with our shared durmetric cable. we may have a few diodes left, they are much much cheaper then 2$

Old 09-19-2016, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by myw
..... a few of us did the hack right on my driveway with our shared durmetric cable. we may have a few diodes left, they are much much cheaper then 2$
Good to know there is a "shared" durmetric cable available for the future.... I had mine programed (side marker signal too) when I had my oil changed last week... the programming costed me C$50 and I suppose I could buy you lot of timmy's for that

Old 09-20-2016, 07:15 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
Good to know there is a "shared" durmetric cable available for the future.... I had mine programed (side marker signal too) when I had my oil changed last week... the programming costed me C$50 and I suppose I could buy you lot of timmy's for that
50$ imo is a steal! did u get dme scan as well remote windows set as well?

Old 09-20-2016, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by myw
....did u get dme scan ?
No because I know I didn't over rev the car .... What else could I have learn about my car had I have DME scanned ?

Originally Posted by myw
did u get remote windows set as well?
No, hadn't thought about it.... I don't have a desire for it so doesn't matter to me...

Last edited by lowbee; 09-21-2016 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:02 PM
Tper8181 is infamous around these parts
Solution

I have finally found the solution to the "no going back" entry

It appears that the switch barrel contains a micro fuse.

Inserting the diode incorrectly as I must have done can blow the fuse in question.

Porsche advised that the micro fuse cannot be replaced and I required a new barrel £29

Problem solved, fogs are working. A costly experiment, so please ensure if your going to do this, that you ensure the diode doesn't touch any of the other terminals

I have now removed the diode.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:42 PM
YellowDragon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by YellowDragon
Thank you for such a detailed write up and photos. I had your post and pics printed out to assist me for this hack. It took me about 30 min but I was really taking my time to do this perfectly. The result is exactly as described and exactly what I always wanted - fog light only on as DLR and no other lights. Before I learn about this hack, I even checked with Durametrics and even they could not get it done via coding.

I usually leave the switch at 'OFF' not 'HOME' when in garage and hooked up to a battery maintainer. So far it's been a month since the hack with no battery issue.

Thanks again to PSPorsche and a BIG, BIG thank you to Utkinpol the OP for this hack. Not only you made my wish come true but also help me save lots of $$$.
Love the look of fogs as DRLs!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4578.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	465335  
Old 02-18-2017, 02:20 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
I did this on my wife's 2005 997.1 c2s the other day and today her battery was completely dead. Not sure if this is a coincidence or if this hack has created a drain on the battery. Seems like this was brought up and tested before and the determination was made that it was safe. Has anyone else experienced a battery drain issue after doing this? I simply connected the two wires together. Was I supposed to do anything with a diode or something else or is it just as simple as connecting those two wires together with a wire tap?

Old 02-18-2017, 07:41 PM
cam99 is infamous around these partscam99 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Petza914
I did this on my wife's 2005 997.1 c2s the other day and today her battery was completely dead. Not sure if this is a coincidence or if this hack has created a drain on the battery. Seems like this was brought up and tested before and the determination was made that it was safe. Has anyone else experienced a battery drain issue after doing this? I simply connected the two wires together. Was I supposed to do anything with a diode or something else or is it just as simple as connecting those two wires together with a wire tap?
Same thing happened to me, I went back to stock, however you'll need a diode if you want to do this hack.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by cam99
Same thing happened to me, I went back to stock, however you'll need a diode if you want to do this hack.
Where does the diode go, what type, and any pics of how it installs?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: $2 DRL solution for fog lights