997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

$2 DRL solution for fog lights

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:49 AM
seb986 is infamous around these parts
Hi guys,

This is my first message, I wanted to thank the initiator of this Post "utkinpol" great find for this simple modification before presenting my frog.

For my part, I did it on March 8 and no signs of weakness with my battery or my CTEK maintains load.

Sportingly

Old 03-16-2012, 07:28 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by seb986
Hi guys,

This is my first message, I wanted to thank the initiator of this Post "utkinpol" great find for this simple modification before presenting my frog.

For my part, I did it on March 8 and no signs of weakness with my battery or my CTEK maintains load.

Sportingly
Nothing like a badly presented frog!!!

Old 03-16-2012, 08:46 AM
seb986 is infamous around these parts
Cool

Originally Posted by RaidersR1
Nothing like a badly presented frog!!!
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...thread-36.html

Old 03-16-2012, 01:58 PM
cavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to behold
Call me another satisfied Utkinpol hacker! Working like a charm! Well done and rep to you!

Old 03-18-2012, 04:13 AM
juniormarbles is infamous around these parts
Same Fog Light Hack for Cayman S?

Utkinpol:
When installing the foglight hack in a 2006 Cayman S, do I assume correctly that the wiring scheme for lighting is the same? My light switch looks the same, with the same settings as on a 997/1. (Cayman Gen.I don't have LED driving lights.)

My other question: Did you disconnect the battery during installation? Or will it suffice to keep the keys out of the ignition and the light switch in "off" during installation?

Finally, I have Sport Chrono Plus (i.e. PCM user programming for DRLs).
Will the fog light hack work on cars with PCM?

Thanks in advance,
JM

Old 03-18-2012, 06:01 AM
cavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to behold
I can answer a couple of those. I didn't disconnect the battery. Also I have the daytime running lights turned off in my PCM and it works fine.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:05 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
What am I suppose to be looking for with this link seb986??

Old 03-18-2012, 09:43 AM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
Originally Posted by juniormarbles
Utkinpol:
When installing the foglight hack in a 2006 Cayman S, do I assume correctly that the wiring scheme for lighting is the same? My light switch looks the same, with the same settings as on a 997/1. (Cayman Gen.I don't have LED driving lights.)

My other question: Did you disconnect the battery during installation? Or will it suffice to keep the keys out of the ignition and the light switch in "off" during installation?

Finally, I have Sport Chrono Plus (i.e. PCM user programming for DRLs).
Will the fog light hack work on cars with PCM?

Thanks in advance,
JM
Check to make sure your wires are the same as in post #1.
You can also check to see if the Cayman light switch has the same part # as the 997.
As indicated in the above post I also have the Sports Chrono Plus & have the PCM set not to turn on the DRLs.
I did not disconnect my battery but I did wait for the inside lights to turn off via the self timer. This way you know the "Home" wire is no longer hot.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Your answers are excellent advice.

Thank you,
JM

Old 03-19-2012, 12:42 AM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by utkinpol
I finally got to a shop to buy wire taps.
so here is how you get it done - you get out your light switch and you tap together 'A2 - automatic light yellow/red' wire with 'A5 fog light yellow/white' wire.
Utkinpol... I've read through the entire thread. Very nice DIY.
I don't have any aftermarket DRL's, just the factory unit with fog lights.

With that said, can I do the hack? I wasn't entirely sure if the drain battery issue is a symptom?

Right now, I have the DL turned on...so my front bumper and Bi-Xenon come on regardless where my light switch is.

If I do this hack, the front bumper lights come on in DL mode but not Bi-Xenon?

Thanks for your help!

Old 03-19-2012, 09:07 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Yes. You will just need to turn off the "DRL" setup in your PCM so the headlights won't be on all the time.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:40 AM
John in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to behold
I did the hack this past Friday. So far working as advertised. Now I will let the car sit for a few days to see if there is a drain on the battery.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Battery Drain after Hack

I am unclear how additional battery drain could occur because of the hack, if no additional energy users can be identified.

In the case of a light switch, the only users, and therefore drain that could be present, would be lights. If no lights remain on after the timer goes out (which can be visually confirmed) no additional drain should occur. If the hack created a new path between B+ and ground, the battery would not be depleted slowly, but a fuse would blow instantly or a wire would burn up.

It seems simple enough to avoid any additional drain from the "home" setting (stock or hacked will be the same) by switching the light switch off altogether when leaving the car.

There will always be battery drain in a locked, parked car, not only because of electro-chemical deterioration of the battery, but because of ever increasing multiple electrical operations programmed to stay on after the ignition switch is pulled and the car is locked.

Anyone with remaining doubts about additional creep currents from the hack can easily measure and compare stock and hacked battery drain on a parked car with an ampere meter (digital multimeter set to milli-amps, and connected in series with the (+) cable of the battery.)

Last edited by juniormarbles; 03-19-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:27 PM
John in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to behold
Probably like some folks here, I'm just paranoid. Having owned numerous Porsches over the past 15 years, I've experienced more drained/dead batteries with P-cars than I care to remember.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:12 PM
louie007 is infamous around these parts
hi everyone im in Canada and i have my headlights as my drl can i disable that function it is a U.S car , just wondering if you can do it thru pcm 2.1, thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: $2 DRL solution for fog lights