997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Fuel pump problem.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 11:27 AM
stockid is infamous around these partsstockid is infamous around these parts
Angry Fuel pump problem.

So my car has a fuel pump recall. They take out the pump and put the new one in. Now the computer will not recognize the new pump and won't start. Any ideas? It's at the dealership and they are stumped. Got the ugly pans era loaner...yuck!

Old 03-10-2012, 06:41 PM
JohnAMG is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by stockid
So my car has a fuel pump recall. They take out the pump and put the new one in. Now the computer will not recognize the new pump and won't start. Any ideas? It's at the dealership and they are stumped. Got the ugly pans era loaner...yuck!
When I brought my C4S in for 20K miles service last month and I was told about the recall too. I told the advisor I will pass because I haven't experience any issue so far. Did you have problem with the previous pump? I didn't want the tech to monkey around when it is running great. I hope them resolve your issue soon.

John

Old 03-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Mine got swapped out with no issues. Wonder what gives? Keep us posted.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:31 AM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Had it swapped...not issues either.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:32 AM
I told them if there is no problem why swap it out. Wait til something if anything happens. We shall see.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:44 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Any more info on what the issue is and what years or build dates? Symptoms?

Old 03-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Mb007 is infamous around these parts
I had mine replaced about a week ago. 2009 911s w 7500km. Touring to work and shortly after filling up my tank the traction control light came on and engine failure "reduced power". Thought it was bad gas but called my local dealer. Porsche roadside sent a flatbed. I was told later on it was the fuel pump. Car was towed in on a Friday and had it back on Monday.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:39 AM
I had no problems with the previous pump. They said it would be a quick swap out...then the problem arose. So, if on Monday they can't get it figured out I guess I will ask them too bring back my old pump. If it ain't broke.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:53 AM
K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !
Hmm...... did they swap another pump in to see what happens? Sounds like a bad pump off the shelf type situation to me.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:05 AM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cerbomark
Any more info on what the issue is and what years or build dates? Symptoms?
Our cars, the 2009's, are affected. All of them I think, but I'm not sure how many others. Any dealer can tell from your VIN number. Occasional drivability issues, like the engine stalling at parking lot speeds or when I moved away from rest behind a soccer van and couldn't accelerate normally up first into second-gear range.

This is our first Porsche and the symptoms were mild enough that with nothing to judge by I assumed it was normal for the flat six to behave that way so I just adapted my driving style. A few months later, they called me about the service campaign to swap out the HP fuel pumps from certain cars, including mine. I went down, they let me mess around with a PDK Cab for awhile and then they drove me to a country club to kill the rest of the time while they finished the job.

No big deal, and it certainly wasn't a hassle, but the drivability problems disappeared. This DFI engine is a complete delight now, not just in the upper registers as it was when new.

Gary

Old 03-12-2012, 03:38 AM
20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future
welcome to the club

i've had my fuel pump replaced three times already and now I'm over warranty, i hope it doesn't go out again. After the first two times I thought the tech was bad at the dealership, went to another and it happened again. . Good luck, regardless I still feel like I drive the best car in the world.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:36 AM
spyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the rough
My HPFP was replaced about 1yr in, but as a recall vs. a problem that had appeared. I'd get it fixed as I'm assuming porsche is using a new part. Just read the BMW & MINI boards with all the issues they've had with the DFI HPFP. The one on my Wife's MINI died at the worst time, replaced and it's been fine since.

I'm sure the techs will figure it out and make it right.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:39 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
I called my dealer today to ask about it as I just purchased this car as a CPO with 5K miles at an out of state dealer. They took my vin and said it was done as part of the CPO checklist... They sent my a copy of the order also because my original paperwork I got had other items but nothing about the pump. This appears to be a slightly differnt documnet with the additional fuel pump item and everything else as stated before and everything said WARRENTY next to it. Guess I m good for now.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Unhappy

Update, so they are mailing the CPU to Sharkwerks to unflash it. They think that this will solved the problem. I personally think the flash has nothing to do with it. It drove in there the change of the pump should not make any difference. We shall see....I think it might be bad tech.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:37 PM
stronbl has a spectacular aura aboutstronbl has a spectacular aura about
OP, where are you having the work done? No problem if you don't want to say. I had my HPFP replaced at Stevens Creek under warranty and have had no issues or problems (none to begin with either); it was quick, painless and the job seems to have been done well. I have a 2010 C4S Cabrio w/ PDK no Sharkwerks flash though. Good luck with your car; i'm interested to hear the end result and the story along the way.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump problem.