997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Installed iPE Innotech Valvetronic (Muffler Only)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 05:07 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Installed iPE Innotech Valvetronic (Muffler Only)

I thought I would post some videos of the iPE Innotech Valvetronic Mufflers that I installed on my '07 Targa 4S ("T4S"). I absolutely love the sound I heard from the iPE videos on the 997 posted on YouTube, they sound like a Formula One Car!!

That is what I thought my car would sound like when I added the mufflers, but it didn't work out that way. I emailed iPE Innotech about the sound and they told me that to get my car to sound exactly like the video, I would have to install their header and de-cat pipe. That is another $3,300 in parts. By the way, iPE Innotech was very courteous and helpful explaining what the issue was. I do want that sound.

I thought the sound was from the valvetronic mufflers and I will have to decide if will do the rest of the exhaust. Lesson learned... One concern is whether I would pass Colorado Emissions with the de-cat installed. So, I might not be able to get "THAT" sound. I love the mufflers and they do sound good, but they are noticeably quieter than my Gundo Hacked mufflers. I guess I just need to "Pump Up The Volume" behind the mufflers to get the sound.

I only have a video of my previous mufflers after I Gundo Hacked them, so you will be comparing the iPE Innotech Valvetronic Mufflers to my Gundo Hacked Mufflers. There are four clips: First of the iPE Innotech Valvetronic Full Exhaust System (What I was told by iPE); Second, my Gundo Hacked mufflers (which I still love); and then two of my car with the iPE Innotech Valvetronic mufflers. Let me know your thoughts!

Video One: iPE Innotech Valvetronic sound I hoped for:

Video Two: My '07 T4S with Gundo Hacked Mufflers:

Video Three: 1st video of the iPE Innotech Valvetronic (mufflers only) on my '07 T4S:

Video Four: 2nd video of the iPE Innotech Valvetronic (mufflers only) on my '07 T4S:

Old 03-14-2012, 06:45 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
How in heck are headers and de-cat pipes (i.e., just a straight pipe?) $3300??

Maybe add AWE cats. Will definitely kick up the sound and a bit of power too.

Aftermarket airbox is another relatively cheap way to add sound, especially at the top end.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Former Vendor
CampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the rough
Don,

If you want to upgrade to the catless headers - send us a PM, we have a few options you might like. The main sound increase will come from the decat pipes.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:12 PM
BLKonBLK911C4S is infamous around these parts
Why did you get rid of the Gundo Hack Muffler's? Are you selling them?

Old 03-14-2012, 11:57 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
Weren't you guys saying that you would get most of the sound in the promo vid from mufflers only...

Originally Posted by CampioniShop1
Originally Posted by vraxinus
will the sound be the same if muffler only? (F1 sound). PM me for muffler only and full system. Thanks!
Yes! The headers play in very small role of the sound of this system. The headers are more of a performance mod than sound mod on these.
Now it's this...

Don,
If you want to upgrade to the catless headers - send us a PM, we have a few options you might like. The main sound increase will come from the decat pipes.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:59 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
To the OP: Your exhaust still sounds pretty good. The hack may have been louder, but with these I think the sound is more Italian. Not bad...

Old 03-15-2012, 12:03 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BLKonBLK911C4S
Why did you get rid of the Gundo Hack Muffler's? Are you selling them?
I hadn't thought about it. My thought was to keep it and let it go when I sell down the road. Considering the hack is around $250, the shipping would probably make it not worth the money unless local.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by DirtyVegas
Weren't you guys saying that you would get most of the sound in the promo vid from mufflers only...

Now it's this...
Wow, I forgot about that! Thank you for reminding me. Honestly I was disappointed, but thought it was my lack of understanding the exhaust system.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:06 AM
To the OP: Your exhaust still sounds pretty good. The hack may have been louder, but with these I think the sound is more Italian. Not bad...
Thank you, it still needs more volume!

Old 03-15-2012, 12:12 AM
200 cell cats give you just the right volume... love my AWE!

Originally Posted by DoninDEN
Thank you, it still needs more volume!

Old 03-15-2012, 08:56 AM
To dirtyvegas, I meant the 200 cells might be the answer as mine needs more volume.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:45 AM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
i personally would have kept the gundo hack and just added a 200 cell xpipe

Old 03-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by split
i personally would have kept the gundo hack and just added a 200 cell xpipe
LOL! That may be the right answer! I am hopeful that the iPE's with cats and/or headers might be best. They are noticeably quiter than the Gundos and may need that extra sound behind them. Where the Gundos might have been too loud with the cats and/or headers behind them.

It seems like cats are viewed as the better mod than headers. Any idea why?

Old 03-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Former Vendor
CampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the rough
As discussed over PM with Don, that is still the case.

The headers have very little do to with sound as they are not a sound deadening device on any exhaust system. The design of the IPE headers are also a limited improvement over stock and as such, the tone will barely change.

The real difference, and as explained to Don via PM is in the catted versus catless pipes. A catless system will introduce the famous "IPE" rasp that defines its signature sound. The system was designed as a package, the mufflers were developed to work with the added decibel output of a catless system. The mufflers only, as experienced by Don, will not re-create the sound in the IPE clip.

Now it's this...

Old 03-15-2012, 01:24 PM
As discussed over PM with Don, that is still the case.

The headers have very little do to with sound as they are not a sound deadening device on any exhaust system. The design of the IPE headers are also a limited improvement over stock and as such, the tone will barely change.

The real difference, and as explained to Don via PM is in the catted versus catless pipes. A catless system will introduce the famous "IPE" rasp that defines its signature sound. The system was designed as a package, the mufflers were developed to work with the added decibel output of a catless system. The mufflers only, as experienced by Don, will not re-create the sound in the IPE clip.
As a clarification that PM conversation is going on now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed iPE Innotech Valvetronic (Muffler Only)