997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Engine oil over filled... :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:23 AM
virtex is infamous around these parts
Engine oil over filled... :(

Hi all,
This is very stupid question but need to know how to drain some engine oils.

Since last engine oil change, I had 3500 miles and it suddenly displayed one bar left. So I bought Mobil1 0W40 and poured in 3 quarts of engine oils...

And when I checked it again, it showed full bars (above the arrow).

Once I started up my engine, pull backed from my garage and it was fine in idle.
But after 5 minutes of idle, RPM was rattling and seemed like engine is gonna shut off. I immediately drive back to garage and shut off my engine..but no smokes tho.

Do I have to drain the oil though oil tank drain bolt again?
Or can I just loose the oil tank rain bolt a little bit to take out some oils and then tighten?

Thanks!

Old 03-16-2012, 08:27 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
I'd just loosen up the drain plug and let some slowly drain. You're going to get yourself a bit dirty in the process but that's the easiest way. If you use a clear catch bucket and mark the outside with quarts, you'll be able to tell how much you've drained. Of course if it's a clean bucket, since it's new oil, you can always just pour that stuff back into the engine if you drain too much. Not a bad idea to strain it through cheesecloth though just to be safe.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:41 AM
rye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the rough
Be very careful with the drain plug method - have a big bucket underneath just in case. If you accidentally let the drain plug completely out, you'll have 8 quarts in 4 seconds!

Another idea would be to take the filter off - you'll get the pint that's in the filter. But if you added 3 quarts and you were only down to one bar left, you've got to remove about 2 extra quarts.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Thanks guys..! but if i take the filter off, shouldn't I replace O-ring again?
Also,,, I am thinking if this might cause excess drag on the crankshaft?
Oil level in the pan is higher, so the crankshaft is further submerged in oil..?

Old 03-16-2012, 08:48 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by virtex
Thanks guys..! but if i take the filter off, shouldn't I replace O-ring again?
Also,,, I am thinking if this might cause excess drag on the crankshaft?
Oil level in the pan is higher, so the crankshaft is further submerged in oil..?
I would not worry about the o ring.

Yes that will cause more drag on the crank and could cause BIG problems.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:48 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Drain it all, reuse it if you are comfortable, or put new oil in there. Taking a little out at the time is too much guess work, better to start with a known amount and add the correct amount. I used about 8 litres in my C2S.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:52 AM
rye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the rough
Probably good advice NorthVan. Just make sure you have an 8 or 10 quart container to catch it in. And don't try to use a funnel to catch it - you'll overflow the funnel faster than you can blink. The oil comes out fast.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Actually - you probably have something like 10 quarts in there now with the overfill... so an even larger container.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:52 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Make sure the car has had PLENTY of time for the oil to cool down.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:01 PM
InTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by virtex
Since last engine oil change, I had 3500 miles and it suddenly displayed one bar left. So I bought Mobil1 0W40 and poured in 3 quarts of engine oils...
Remember from the owner's manual:

The difference between the minimum and
maximum marks on the segment display is
approx. 1.3 quarts (1.25 litres).

One segment of the display corresponds to a
top-up quantity of approx. 0.42 quarts (0.4 litre).

Old 03-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Thank you all!
After cooling down about 2 hours, used ramp to get up, and then drained 4 qrts of oils using drain bolt..checked engine oil level again and it shows 2/3 of gauges now..
Hope i didn't screw up my engine

Old 03-16-2012, 02:49 PM
capnollie is infamous around these parts
make sure you put the oil cap back on tight. when on correctly, the little icon looks level. i recently had a problem because i did not get the cap on tight. engine idled rough and the check engine light came on after driving some distance.. fortunately, dealer diagnosedroblem quickly for me.