997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Hex nut came off of motor mount...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 10:41 AM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
Hex nut came off of motor mount...

Was driving oddly enough to the grocery store along a patch of glassy pavement when suddenly the back end shuddered as if I had struck a pothole (no pothole within site). Car seemed to be driving fine, no CELs, so I drove the remaining mile to the store. After shopping I returned to the car and noticed that the right rear bank of exhaust tips was sitting several inches lower. Upon further inspection it appeared the whole engine had canted approximately 20 degrees.

I Called the dealership and had the car towed back where upon further inspection they informed me it was a nut that had loosed and came off (apparently this is the first time they have seen this happen). The nut was replaced and they assured me that no damage was caused. The car seems to deliver identical power as previously but also now appears to idle more roughly. The tach is still set solidly slightly under 1k revs at idle but it seem there is significantly more vibration into the passenger compartment. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what may be amiss or is this possibly all in my head? Car is bone stock 2005 C2S (launch car) with about 17k on the odometer and has been maintained appropriately.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:38 AM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
Fast Misc.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Check the other motor mount? It may have been affected by the engine drop.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:53 PM
spooling is infamous around these parts
I have a 997.1 turbo and often times see the tach idling in a slightly twitchy manner. People say it is normal. I wonder if better motor mounts would increase shifting feel and drive ability.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Allegedly the other mount appears to be fine. Kind of a weird thing to have happen. I was wondering if this could have caused the fly wheel to become canted a tad although the mechanism of the motor shifting was pretty gently likely in the grand scheme of things. Oddly enough now the front boot doesn't pop up all the way any longer. Grrrr.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:53 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by getz
Allegedly the other mount appears to be fine. Kind of a weird thing to have happen. I was wondering if this could have caused the fly wheel to become canted a tad although the mechanism of the motor shifting was pretty gently likely in the grand scheme of things. Oddly enough now the front boot doesn't pop up all the way any longer. Grrrr.
OK, now you're starting to scare me getz! Seriously tho motormounts do have an effect on the transmission of engine movement/vibration to the chassis. Thats the rationale behind the electronic motor mount option you have in the GT3 etc. If you really can feel a difference take it back in and have them do it right. Btw I would not mention the hood problem at the same time if I were you

Old 03-20-2012, 12:03 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Was the engine ever dropped before this event for any type of service?

Old 03-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by adias
Was the engine ever dropped before this event for any type of service?
Never, that's what makes the event so bizarre. I actually was at the dealership earlier driving one of the 991s and after coming home from the test drive, kerplunk. I really trust the guys at my local dealership, and respect the mechanic whom has actually talked me out of service in the past. Simply one of those freak things that happen to cars. They got the new nut, made sure everything was torqued down appropriately and road tested it. The car seems to make great power and drive essentially the same other than a bit more vibration in the cabin at idle that I had not noticed before.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by getz
Never, that's what makes the event so bizarre. I actually was at the dealership earlier driving one of the 991s and after coming home from the test drive, kerplunk. I really trust the guys at my local dealership, and respect the mechanic whom has actually talked me out of service in the past. Simply one of those freak things that happen to cars. They got the new nut, made sure everything was torqued down appropriately and road tested it. The car seems to make great power and drive essentially the same other than a bit more vibration in the cabin at idle that I had not noticed before.
Maybe the nut thas is loose is behind the wheel......

In all seriousness, maybe the actual engine "feel" was disconnected due to the loose bolt and tightening the bolt took it back to "normal".

Old 03-20-2012, 02:58 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
Originally Posted by Michael_s
Maybe the nut thas is loose is behind the wheel......

In all seriousness, maybe the actual engine "feel" was disconnected due to the loose bolt and tightening the bolt took it back to "normal".
This would be my guess as well. The new feel may just be because things are right again. The frunk lid sounds unrelated.