997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Front LED DRL's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 11:35 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
info@orange-tuning.de

Originally Posted by boochook
What was Frank's email again?

Old 03-20-2012, 09:06 AM
wseikow is infamous around these parts
HI, I was reading this post and was thinking, Aren't the "DRL" that are being referred to , typically simply known as “Fog lights”?

I assume that "the definition of DRL means “daytime running lights”?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:28 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by wseikow
HI, I was reading this post and was thinking, Aren't the "DRL" that are being referred to , typically simply known as “Fog lights”?

I assume that "the definition of DRL means “daytime running lights”?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.
Yes and No. Fog lights are actually amber or yellow in color used in foggy conditions. People call them fog lights because they are under the headlights, but when they are white or that yellowish color light, they are then called Driving Lights as they aid in the view of the road at night.

If they are on all the time, then they become DRL's. It's about the look of the lights and how you want them to look when they are on. I did the hack on the switch so that my "driving lights" stay on and hence become DRL's. When I put my headlights on, the driving lights turn off until I activate them again by pulling the switch out and now they are driving lights.

Lot's of terms and opinions on these...but it all boils down to preference and how it's defined. Some may not agree with my assessment...but it's close I'm sure to basically what these terms mean.

Hope that helps!!

Old 03-21-2012, 01:47 PM
911turbo X is infamous around these parts
hi everyone ...

i got mine from Frank yesterday and fixed them on my ride .... but i think i have a small problem ....

i unplugged three plugs from the factory lights and on the DRL lights there are only two weirs to be plugged, i was able to plug the big one with the wire coming from the car, but could not connect the other small plug from the DRL with the other plug coming out of the car , so now i have two plugs coming out of the car and one ( the small plug ) from the DRL not connected .... the lower LEDs are working but the signals are not ...

can some one help me, and tell me how to connect the other small plug and, is it only two plugs that need to be connected or three ...

thanks in advanced

Old 03-21-2012, 01:50 PM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by 911turbo X
hi everyone ...

i got mine from Frank yesterday and fixed them on my ride .... but i think i have a small problem ....

i unplugged three plugs from the factory lights and on the DRL lights there are only two weirs to be plugged, i was able to plug the big one with the wire coming from the car, but could not connect the other small plug from the DRL with the other plug coming out of the car , so now i have two plugs coming out of the car and one ( the small plug ) from the DRL not connected .... the lower LEDs are working but the signals are not ...

can some one help me, and tell me how to connect the other small plug and, is it only two plugs that need to be connected or three ...

thanks in advanced
Pics please so I can see what your talking about??

I think I know what's up...but don't want to say without first confirming the set up.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:39 PM
brettd007 is a splendid one to beholdbrettd007 is a splendid one to beholdbrettd007 is a splendid one to beholdbrettd007 is a splendid one to beholdbrettd007 is a splendid one to beholdbrettd007 is a splendid one to beholdbrettd007 is a splendid one to behold
Great comments

Old 03-21-2012, 09:18 PM
frontside720 is infamous around these partsfrontside720 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jabed92694
No error codes and a very easy DIY. Was a true plug and play. The pair with the extra module (so it acts like a true DRL) was $530 total including shipping (after exchange rates). That was $100 cheaper than Rottec and they didn't even have the module!! And FYI, the Dectane lights now have the resistors built into the lights and there is no extra resistors required. I was told by Rottec that their lights do not have them built in and require the extra resistors if you get the dash light.
Sorry, trying to figure out this whole DRL module.

The kit that you bought with the module, keeps your led's on all the time correct?

I just installed LED taillights today (8 minute install) and would like to add the front led's. Excellent thread, thanks for the great information!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by frontside720
Sorry, trying to figure out this whole DRL module.

The kit that you bought with the module, keeps your led's on all the time correct?

I just installed LED taillights today (8 minute install) and would like to add the front led's. Excellent thread, thanks for the great information!
The module DOES NOT keep the LED's on all the time. It's used to keep from getting errors on the dash. You have to do the switch hack to make them stay on all the time.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:31 PM
frontside720 is infamous around these partsfrontside720 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RaidersR1
The module DOES NOT keep the LED's on all the time. It's used to keep from getting errors on the dash. You have to do the switch hack to make them stay on all the time.
Excellent. Thank you!

Last question...

If I do the switch hack after I install these lights, will I get an error code? Is it had to do the switch hack?

Thanks again.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Excellent. Thank you!

Last question...

If I do the switch hack after I install these lights, will I get an error code? Is it had to do the switch hack?

Thanks again.
Nope. If you don't get errors now...you won't after the switch hack...the hack only provides power to keep the lights on that's it. I did the hack after i got my LED's installed and not one problem.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by RaidersR1
Nope. If you don't get errors now...you won't after the switch hack...the hack only provides power to keep the lights on that's it. I did the hack after i got my LED's installed and not one problem.
Did you do the $2 hack or the module?

Old 03-21-2012, 09:39 PM
Did you do the $2 hack or the module?

Just the hack. I got no errors so I didn't need the module. Again...the module is only for errors. If you don't have errors without the module...you will be fine. I had someone do my hack though, didn't want to mess something up!!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:45 PM
O.k. thanks.

The picture of the wiring hick wasn't very good but I'm sure I'll find something.

I sent an email to Frank and hope to hear back soon.

Thanks again.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:39 PM
jabed92694 is infamous around these parts
So if I understand this right, we have the choice of doing the $2 hack or use the module in which both do the exact same thing (turns the DRL's on when the ignition is turned on and headlights are in the off position). However if you start with the $2 hack and have errors on the dash, then you will need to go the route of ordering the Dectane module??

Last edited by jabed92694; 03-21-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by jabed92694
So if I understand this right, we have the choice of doing the $2 hack or use the module in which both do the exact same thing (turns the DRL's on when the ignition is turned on and headlights are in the off position). However if you start with the $2 hack and have errors on the dash, then you will need to go the route of ordering the Dectane module??
NO. The module is ONLY to prevent errors....not to control the DRL's. The hack will leave the DRL's on with the switch in the Home position.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front LED DRL's