997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Front LED DRL's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 08:15 PM
jabed92694 is infamous around these parts
Front LED DRL's

I just installed my front DRL's and love them. I ordered from Frank at Orange Tuning. Here are some pics.

Jon

Attached Images   
Old 03-18-2012, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by mark12345
VERY nice... Too soon to tell if you're getting error codes?
How was the install - Straight forward?
Do you mine me asking how much for pair from Frank?

Thanks!
No error codes and a very easy DIY. Was a true plug and play. The pair with the extra module (so it acts like a true DRL) was $530 total including shipping (after exchange rates). That was $100 cheaper than Rottec and they didn't even have the module!! And FYI, the Dectane lights now have the resistors built into the lights and there is no extra resistors required. I was told by Rottec that their lights do not have them built in and require the extra resistors if you get the dash light.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by mark12345
Originally Posted by jabed92694
No error codes and a very easy DIY. Was a true plug and play. The pair with the extra module (so it acts like a true DRL) was $530 total including shipping (after exchange rates). That was $100 cheaper than Rottec and they didn't even have the module!! And FYI, the Dectane lights now have the resistors built into the lights and there is no extra resistors required. I was told by Rottec that their lights do not have them built in and require the extra resistors if you get the dash light.
The DRL's make a huge difference for the 997.1 So does your DRL have the extra resistors built in or outside?

How was customer service?
Resistors were built in the light assemblies. Customer service was perfect, never had issues with my
two transactions with Frank. Shipping info was sent immediately and he responded to all my emails immediately. Lights arrived in around 10 days, no custom issues or damage. Was perfect. I know others have had issues but I never have.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:32 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
I just installed my front DRL's and love them. I ordered from Frank at Orange Tuning. Here are some pics.

Jon
Look good. I got the ROTtech's and I haven't gotten any errors except for the passenger side light and error comes up to check. I think it's a connection problem, which I'm going to address in the next day or so. But other than that...straight forward install and I love the look!!

Old 03-19-2012, 11:08 AM
neotorque is infamous around these partsneotorque is infamous around these parts
Sorry to ask, but for a complete dunce like me, can you explain what a straight forward install entails? I'll put it like this, I swapped out my amber side markers for clear ones, and that was easy enough, but it was also the most complex work I've ever attempted on a car by myself. I'd love to do it, but I'm guessing I'd need a shop to help.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:00 PM
MOORE996 is infamous around these parts
I did mine a little bit differently since I have the TechArt bumper. Your's came out really nice as well.

Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2012, 12:27 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Resistors were built in the light assemblies. Customer service was perfect, never had issues with my
two transactions with Frank. Shipping info was sent immediately and he responded to all my emails immediately. Lights arrived in around 10 days, no custom issues or damage. Was perfect. I know others have had issues but I never have.

Took a look on the orange tuning website and wasn't able to find the front LED's. Where are they listed? Also, are these plug and play in regards to the DRL function without the headlights on?

Thanks,

Old 03-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by White Rock
Took a look on the orange tuning website and wasn't able to find the front LED's. Where are they listed? Also, are these plug and play in regards to the DRL function without the headlights on?

Thanks,

They are not listed on the site, you have to email them. They are not plug and play with regards to the DRL function without the headlights on. You have to order an additional module which they have in stock.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by neotorque
Sorry to ask, but for a complete dunce like me, can you explain what a straight forward install entails? I'll put it like this, I swapped out my amber side markers for clear ones, and that was easy enough, but it was also the most complex work I've ever attempted on a car by myself. I'd love to do it, but I'm guessing I'd need a shop to help.
All I did was take a 1" putty knife and push it between the light and the bumper to release the clip (side toward the center of the bumper). This was the hardest part. Once you know exatly where the clip is (I located this by looking at the new lights I received) I inserted my putty knife and pushed hard until the lighting assembly popped out. At this point, the new lighting assembly was easy to connect as you can just unplug the old light connectors and replace the connectors in the exact location of the new lights. Then voila! Snap back in the bumper by sliding one end in first then pushing hard on the other side and it pops and locks right back in place.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:36 PM
neotorque is infamous around these partsneotorque is infamous around these parts
Awesome. Thanks!

Old 03-19-2012, 01:42 PM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
All I did was take a 1" putty knife and push it between the light and the bumper to release the clip (side toward the center of the bumper). This was the hardest part. Once you know exatly where the clip is (I located this by looking at the new lights I received) I inserted my putty knife and pushed hard until the lighting assembly popped out. At this point, the new lighting assembly was easy to connect as you can just unplug the old light connectors and replace the connectors in the exact location of the new lights. Then voila! Snap back in the bumper by sliding one end in first then pushing hard on the other side and it pops and locks right back in place.
If you have your owners manual there is a credit card size card that makes the removal a snap. If you don't have it....any credit card will do. Its the perfect size to go in and releases the assembly.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by RaidersR1
If you have your owners manual there is a credit card size card that makes the removal a snap. If you don't have it....any credit card will do. Its the perfect size to go in and releases the assembly.
I tried the credit card and found it was too flexible and would not release the clip easily. So a friend/ board member who also did his recommended a 1" putty knife and it worked much better. Maybe the card you mentioned that is supplied with the car is more rigid than a standard credit card.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:44 PM
I tried the credit card and found it was too flexible and would not release the clip easily. So a friend/ board member who also did his recommended a 1" putty knife and it worked much better. Maybe the card you mentioned that is supplied with the car is more rigid than a standard credit card.
Yep...it is a bit more rigid. However, when I put in the ROTtech DRL's I had to remove the passenger side to fix a connection, it took 2 credit cards...the Porsche supplied one and a personal card. The aftermarkets are nice looking but not always a "perfect" fit.

I will look into the putty knife...that may be a better option.

Thanks

Old 03-19-2012, 08:43 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
What was Frank's email again?

Old 03-19-2012, 11:31 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
There's another quite easy way to remove the Rottec's DRL. It allows you to use the existing Porsche Credit Card, but you will also need to have a suction cup that can be obtained from your windshield mounted GPS device. Put the suctioned cup device on the corner nearest the credit card placement. Push in the credit card as usual until you hear a click. At this point use the suctioned cup device to pull out the DRL unit. Comes out quite easy.

Originally Posted by RaidersR1
I will look into the putty knife...that may be a better option.

Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front LED DRL's