997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 Oil Recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 11:52 PM
m3drei is infamous around these parts
997 Oil Recommendations

I just got done with my track day this weekend and is doing my first oil change on my 997. I have heard some negative things about mobil 1 0w40 oil, and is leaning towards Castrol 5w40. Any recommendations?

Old 03-19-2012, 01:08 AM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
From what I understand, 0w-40 and 5w-40 have the same viscosity when hot, but 0w-40 will have a lower viscosity when you first start your car, which I believe should help lubricate your engine faster than the 5w oil would. Porsche recommends 0w-40, so that's what I went with. If you live in a hot climate 5w-40 would be OK, or you could use it in the summer months and (for those that live in colder climates) switch to 0w-40 in winter.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:15 AM
m3drei is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PSPorsche
From what I understand, 0w-40 and 5w-40 have the same viscosity when hot, but 0w-40 will have a lower viscosity when you first start your car, which I believe should help lubricate your engine faster than the 5w oil would. Porsche recommends 0w-40, so that's what I went with. If you live in a hot climate 5w-40 would be OK, or you could use it in the summer months and (for those that live in colder climates) switch to 0w-40 in winter.
Thanks for the info! reps to you I have spend the last 5 hours reading about IMS failures and I have decided to take LN Engineering's advice and go with MOTUL 8100 5W40 X-cess Synthetic Engine Oil

Old 03-19-2012, 07:50 AM
terpsred has a spectacular aura aboutterpsred has a spectacular aura about
For what it is worth, my dealer is putting in 5w-40 Castrol synthetic oil these days into cars in for service. I've always been a fan of Mobile 1 synthetic oil, but the pricing is usually much higher than other synthetics of the same viscosity. I just keep an eye out for sales and stock up when the pricing is good.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:06 AM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
I'm also a fan of Mobile 1 -- I guess people like whatever they have been using over the years. I find that 1 qt. bottles of Mobil 1 0w-40 are more affordable at W**mart, but you have to ask for it since they don't put it on the shelves.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:23 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
The oil question always brings out the opinions. I use only Mobile 1. That's what Porsche recommends, that's what the preponderance of Porsche driver's use and what almost every Porsche maintained vehicle uses. Can't argue with the overwhelming majority of P drivers. Although, some still do.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
This is an article authored by LN Engineering, a highly regarded designer and manufacturer of aftermarket Porsche engine components and related . Read it closely and make up your own mind. Although the title says it's for air-cooled Porsche motors, it contains lots of info on the water-cooler variety too. There are better alternatives than Mobil 1, particularly for track applications. LN maintains the formulation has changed in over the past several years and not for the better. I am switching to the new Joe Gibbs DT 40 product. I used to think all name-brand oils were about the same but have been convinced otherwise by the test data. Best,

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

Old 03-19-2012, 04:58 PM
dbh1062 is infamous around these parts
From the LNE site....In development for several years, starting February 2012 we now offer DT40, a high zinc formulation for modern European Sports Cars in a 5w40 viscosity, suitable for both street and track use, superior to any oil LN Engineering has previously used or recommended and has been thoroughly tested by Flat 6 Innovations and Jake Raby, coinciding with their joint development of the M96 and M97 engine platform. Unlike race oils, DT40 and DT50 are can be used as your normal fill for street use and provide added protection over conventional oils for track use. Neither DT40 or DT50 will harm your catalytic converter with regular use.
In fact, DT40 has specifically been developed to resist thinning at the higher temperatures experienced by the M96 engine and also has superior foaming and aeration control, leading to improved oil pressure on the track and less strain on the AOS.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:09 AM
mjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by dbh1062
From the LNE site....In development for several years, starting February 2012 we now offer DT40, a high zinc formulation for modern European Sports Cars in a 5w40 viscosity, suitable for both street and track use, superior to any oil LN Engineering has previously used or recommended and has been thoroughly tested by Flat 6 Innovations and Jake Raby, coinciding with their joint development of the M96 and M97 engine platform. Unlike race oils, DT40 and DT50 are can be used as your normal fill for street use and provide added protection over conventional oils for track use. Neither DT40 or DT50 will harm your catalytic converter with regular use.

In fact, DT40 has specifically been developed to resist thinning at the higher temperatures experienced by the M96 engine and also has superior foaming and aeration control, leading to improved oil pressure on the track and less strain on the AOS.

No doubt the guys at LN Engineering know their stuff. But if an engine problem does occur, and it needs to be warrantied by PCNA or an indy warranty company, I feel that I am on safer ground with Mobil 1 as the oil. Oil samples are usually requested when engine warrranty work is required.

For air cooled motors, I know zinc is important and Mobil 1 is not the preferred solution.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:16 AM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mjsporsche
No doubt the guys at LN Engineering know their stuff. But if an engine problem does occur, and it needs to be warrantied by PCNA or an indy warranty company, I feel that I am on safer ground with Mobil 1 as the oil. Oil samples are usually requested when engine warrranty work is required.

For air cooled motors, I know zinc is important and Mobil 1 is not the preferred solution.
That is correct although there are a number of oils that are Porsche approved that outperform Mobil 1 in testing. There's a list of several of them in the article. Motul 300V, which used to be LN's preferred choice before the release of DT40, is Porsche approved. Best,

Old 03-20-2012, 10:42 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by denversteve
That's what Porsche recommends, that's what the preponderance of Porsche driver's use and what almost every Porsche maintained vehicle uses. Can't argue with the overwhelming majority of P drivers. Although, some still do.
just because mobil one has deep enough pockets to forge lucrative partnerships/relationships, doesnt mean it's the "best".

Originally Posted by Steamboat
That is correct although there are a number of oils that are Porsche approved that outperform Mobil 1 in testing. There's a list of several of them in the article. Motul 300V, which used to be LN's preferred choice before the release of DT40, is Porsche approved. Best,
yep. late model porsches seem to have at least a few other (well documented?) causes of engine failures besides "bad oil". besides, i'm sure that in the case when an engine running a non-P-approved oil fails, the professional/scientific argument could be made that a "better" oil was being used.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:10 AM
mjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by spiffyjiff
just because mobil one has deep enough pockets to forge lucrative partnerships/relationships, doesnt mean it's the "best".

yep. late model porsches seem to have at least a few other (well documented?) causes of engine failures besides "bad oil". besides, i'm sure that in the case when an engine running a non-P-approved oil fails, the professional/scientific argument could be made that a "better" oil was being used.

Agree that Mobil 1 is not the best. But I would not want to be in the position to argue with the gods who want to deny a claim that the oil I used was better. Only can imagine the energy necessary to win that one.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Steamboat
Just be aware that Motul 300 v is a racing oil and requires frequent change out (ie after each race). It is also ridiculously expensive as befitting race motors. For road going longer term oil fills (1-2x/year) use the 8100 x-cess in a 5-40.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Castrol full synthetic oil is highly rated and some believe it to be a superior oil to Mobil 1's current offerings. With that said, ask 6 other people and you might get 6 different opinions.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:01 PM
TAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond repute
I use Redline but you can't really go wrong with a true synthetic and following a recommended or more frequent schedule.

I thought I read a while back that Exxon was going to stop funding for the Mobil-1 decal advertising program. Is it still on 2010s or 2011s?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Oil Recommendations