997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Has anyone else been surprised by Porsche drivers attitudes here?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 06:42 PM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
Has anyone else been surprised by Porsche drivers attitudes here?

When I first started posting here I honestly didn't know what to expect. It's my first modern Porsche, I'm not rich I just worked very hard for 15 years sold a business and was able to swing a nice P-car. I'm a professional but not an executive, yet somewhere down the line even I had reservations about how other Porsche drivers would act towards stupid questions and the like here on these boards...

I can honestly say that this is the most friendly and encouraging message board I have ever had the pleasure of being on. I've not seen even the slightest shred of arrogance or negative attitudes here. People here have been incredibly helpful and above all PATIENT.

I was trying to explain to my wife the other day how people interact with you on this board and I was struggling for the right words. After a minute she said, "Enthusiasts". They are not snooty, they are enthusiats who enjoy seeing other people excited about their hobby. Yep, that about sums it up.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:55 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
I am glad you feel this way. We have a lot of great and helpful Enthusiasts here.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:00 PM
BroadStreet is infamous around these parts
I feel exactly the same way. I would never hesitate to ask a question here. There are a lot of knowledgeable Porsche enthusiasts here. Most are happy to help. I read a lot on this site and it has been very helpful. That can't be said about too many other sites/forums.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche folks are only a@& h@!$ in the movies. I've found the majority to be regular people who really just enjoy their cars and enjoy being around/interacting with others who share their passion. Most people who are passionate about their hobbies tend to be very approachable and willing to share their knowledge with others who exhibit a sincere interest. Doesn't much matter what the hobbies is.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:23 PM
seapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of light
I would like to be in the movies. But not as a stunt driver. Seriously I was earlier cleaning my exhaust tips with Barkeeper's friend and 3 inch strip of towels from researching the topic with the Search function. Afterwards, I saw where locally I can ceramic coat these tips if I want to go that route. Join the local PCA chapter if you have't already. There are nice people there too.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:01 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
I couldn't agree more about the really nice and helpful members on this forumn! I always enjoy reading the questions and the responses.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:24 PM
Vancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the rough
+100. Just a lot of people who really like Porsches and are happy to share their experiences and expertise.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:32 PM
997S.Aero is infamous around these parts
I agree 100%. Great site and many thanks to all the contributors.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:58 PM
evil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to behold
6speeders tend to act more mature than the other boards i browse.

note that i said MATURE, not old

Old 03-26-2012, 01:55 AM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
Definately whatever you ask (almost) you will certainly get a reply. I like the idea that people from all over the world with different style of living are all connected here under one common thing: Porsche passion!

Old 03-26-2012, 02:13 AM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
Remember, we are all car enthusiasts here - status doesn't play a part (or shouldn't), and that is our common bond. Typical a**hole Porsche owners (and we have many in LA), don't frequent this site. I had a great time hanging out with some super nice p car owners at super car Sunday in Topanga. I really enjoy the common passion we all share for these cars, and totally agree with you Katera regarding the feedback we've got when posting our newbie questions.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:35 AM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
I will bet a lot of us are as you describe - professionals that have worked hard and are able to swing a P-car at this stage of life. We are car enthusiasts who have had to put in a lot of effort to get where we are and enjoy sharing the experience with others. I may be generalizing, but I will bet if we did a poll (and those get moved now!), we would probably see a lot of similarities among us.

Thanks for the positive thread!

Old 03-26-2012, 08:51 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dadio
Porsche folks are only a@& h@!$ in the movies. I've found the majority to be regular people who really just enjoy their cars and enjoy being around/interacting with others who share their passion. Most people who are passionate about their hobbies tend to be very approachable and willing to share their knowledge with others who exhibit a sincere interest. Doesn't much matter what the hobbies is.
qft.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:34 PM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
Have you been on the 996 forum? Those guys are truly awesome!

I don't want this to come out wrong, but it probably will. The older these cars get the better the forums will get. It's the secondary owners and on who are not only huge enthusiasts but also more likely to be the friendly and helpful DIY types.

If you look back you can find some pretty disgusting threads on this forum, filled with whining, arrogance and overt braggery. Whether it's pissing and moaning about options left off by the dealer on a custom build, not getting a Porsche loaner for service, or just showing off other expensive possessions.

I'm not saying there aren't perfectly nice, wonderful people who are original owners. Some are still here, being wonderful as they've always been. It's just the forum can be sometimes be dominated by the loud, obnoxious braggarts. Fortunately many of them have moved on to Turbo land, or the GT3 or 991.

So yes the forum is a wonderful and helpful place and it will get more helpful the more people tackle repairs and DIY p-car projects.

Long live the 997

Old 03-26-2012, 10:15 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
I suspect that for most, regardless of individual situation, the car is a significant indulgence that we enjoy. It's about sharing information, opinions and experiences.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Has anyone else been surprised by Porsche drivers attitudes here?