997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Need opinion - steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 09:22 AM
spyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the rough
Need opinion - steering wheel

I have an early run 997.2 with the standard steering wheel. I don't mind the look of the wheel, but I do not like the padding on the wheel. Too thin. So I need to fix that w/o going too crazy.

Rather than spend the $2k+ to get a sports wheel + airbag from porsche or another aftermarket provider, I picked up a wheel core really cheap and am going to get it refinished by Dallas Leather.

My car is white/black. Interior is all stock.

Question: this is the wheel design I'm looking at. Thoughts on the stitching? This example has white or grey deviating stitching. I was thinking just black, but if I paint any of my interior bits white the white might look OK.

Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2012, 09:56 AM
CHIrosche is infamous around these parts
I am going through the same issue and was looking at Dallas to do my steering wheel as well.. I was thinking for me going with black/grey with center stripe and black stitching with upgraded 1/2" padding.. 1/2" sounded nice but might be too thick ... I was going to add some painted bits as well... I have seal grey c2s... I love white as an additional color in the stitching and painted bits ... But with seal grey and black interior., I don't think white will be a good addition but I am jealous if u can pull it off.. Good luck

Old 03-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Boosted Josh is infamous around these parts
I had Dallas do the wheel on my old Cayman S. I already had the sport wheel but I decided to have them make it a little thicker, do the stripe at 12 in Alcantara, and do the stitching in grey.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:47 AM
spyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the rough
That looks really great. How did you like the perforated leather? Can you comment on the quality of their work?

That drk grey stripe + stitching looks nice and would match the grey bits in the car now.

Originally Posted by Boosted Josh
I had Dallas do the wheel on my old Cayman S. I already had the sport wheel but I decided to have them make it a little thicker, do the stripe at 12 in Alcantara, and do the stitching in grey.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:16 AM
pvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nice
You should also look at Vivid Racing.
They just did my wheel. I just wanted straight up leather, but perforated leather, stripes, alcantara etc. are all available.

My new wheel in the thread below (the cocoa leather one at the end). The thread where you can see a bunch of other images is here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3494222

Old 03-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Looks nice. Assume workmanship was top notch?? I've heard good things about Vivid.

Can I ask what the cost was for the leather work? (feel free to PM that to me)

I have the same wheel as you in black, minus the multi-function buttons.

Originally Posted by pvanosta
You should also look at Vivid Racing.
They just did my wheel. I just wanted straight up leather, but perforated leather, stripes, alcantara etc. are all available.

My new wheel in the thread below (the cocoa leather one at the end). The thread where you can see a bunch of other images is here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3494222

Old 03-30-2012, 11:24 AM
pvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nice
Sending PM

Old 03-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
The only thing that would bother me about white stitching is that it might get dirty from contact with your hands. It mike look odd to see bright white stitching where your hands never touch it in contrast with a muted white where your hands are in contact with the wheel.

The wheel is very nice looking and looks to be comfortable.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Agree with that. The picture above with the darker grey stitching seems like a much better idea, some slight contrast. I think white would be too much on the stitching.

Originally Posted by Alan C.
The only thing that would bother me about white stitching is that it might get dirty from contact with your hands. It mike look odd to see bright white stitching where your hands never touch it in contrast with a muted white where your hands are in contact with the wheel.

The wheel is very nice looking and looks to be comfortable.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:58 AM
OKB
OKB is infamous around these parts
try buying one on ebay or send it to DCT motorsport and they will recover it any way you want

Old 03-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by spyerx
That looks really great. How did you like the perforated leather? Can you comment on the quality of their work?

That drk grey stripe + stitching looks nice and would match the grey bits in the car now.

The quality of the work was excellent as well as the customer service.

I really liked the perforated leather since it gave a bit more grip and added another visual texture.

I don't remember exactly how much I paid but I want to say it was less than $500.

Being that the steering wheel is the most tactile part of the car the upgraded wheel actually made the whole interior of the car seem much more expensive.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:12 PM
simtiaz has a spectacular aura aboutsimtiaz has a spectacular aura about
^^ do you mind sharing info where you got this done? website? email?

Old 03-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by simtiaz
^^ do you mind sharing info where you got this done? website? email?

Sure.

Contact info:

Don Le
469-449-7973
www.dallascustomsteeringwheel.com

Old 03-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by OKB
try buying one on ebay or send it to DCT motorsport and they will recover it any way you want
I already have a core I got very cheap (and it looks like it was used for all of... never.. pulled right off to make use for a race car)

Old 03-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Boosted Josh
Sure.

Contact info:

Don Le
469-449-7973
www.dallascustomsteeringwheel.com
I've been trading notes with Don Le, he's very responsive and very helpful. Now I just need to make up my mind on the style. i thought I had it sorted out until you posted the perforated leather example!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need opinion - steering wheel