997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Anyone Considered XKR?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 10:11 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Haven't driven a jag in a while but when growing up every kid on the block wanted one.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:06 AM
IslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of light
the XKR seems too big to me, but the CX16 concept looks interesting.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:12 AM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by IslandS62
the XKR seems too big to me, but the CX16 concept looks interesting.
It's a cruiser... kinda like a Mustang or a muscle car

Old 03-31-2012, 11:53 AM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
I was originally also looking at Viper SRT10 coupe and GTR. I've had a Viper GTS and I loved the torque, fat rubber and wild looks. I've also had a Lotus Elise before my last car a Z4 M Coupe. However, this time I also wanted a quality interior and a ride that didn't quite beat you up. The GTR is nice but way too big.

I've had a 993 and 3 NSX's, Elise, etc. The NSX felt far more "sports car" like than my 993. I owned them both at the same time. When I got in the 911 it felt more whats the word... shall we say pedestrian. It was upgright like you sat on the car instead of in it. The NSX felt low, wide, roof right over your head like you smushed in a full blown exotic like a Lambo or Ferrari. 993 also had very long throws which also made you feel like you're in some normal car rather than a purpose built racer. Of course it did have good grip though. They only thing that made me feel special in that 993 was in fact the stigma - I knew I was in a 911 and a dang good looking one.

I used to absolutely require a manual trans. In fact if I get the XKR it will be my first auto/paddle car. I'm trying not to be closed minded. I'm sure I'll miss rowing my own gears but I can always go back. So I am looking for a toy that makes me smile to drive, look at, hear etc. The XKR is definitely not as focused as a 911. But if I get it I assure you when I lower it and put fatter rubber on it nobody will see it as a cruiser or old person car. They look aggressive even stock. And I would venture to say that to most people the XK is the better looking car. They don't know what it is... Is it Aston or what??? 911's are so common that unless it's dropped on killer wheels they don't get a second look. They will still get the admiration because people know it's expensive. I view the 911 just like a Rolex. Great time piece. But also quite predictable. Every schmo that has a decent job and wants to prove he's made it buys one - hence it's the best selling luxury watch by a mile. That's the 911. Great car without a doubt. But somewhat cliche.

I agree on not buying a Caddy. Something about that brand says old AND low quality. But they are getting better. I just can't get over the stigma. I suppose Jag could be a European version but has much better perception. A lot of people think of royalty just like Rovers. And I also asked the question in the XK forum about whether it would seem to old for me/us... I'm 35 and look 23-24, wife is 27. Got an interesting response from a late 30's XK owner. He said the car is constantly gawked at and when he emerges it is more of a shock. They expect some older "bond-ish" gentleman. And they see a young bond! It is doing the unexpected!

Now all of this being said there is no denying the 911 is the more engaging car. And I wonder if I'll miss that a little. But on my test drive the trans holds the gears, sound and power is nuts, steering is good but a bit more role than I'd like hence the springs. Given that I'm wanting a car that does EVERYTHING this time I'm thinking I may be ok.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:04 PM
krysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant future
Sounds like you made up your mind already. Good luck.
I guess I'm one of those schmucks that you mention.
:-)

Old 03-31-2012, 03:50 PM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
LOL! I wasn't including any of us enthusiasts in the schmo's :-)

Can never go wrong with 911. I'm sure I'll have another.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:43 PM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
Same here... Would choose Porsche anytime :-)

Nothing against Jag but everytime I think of Jag, I think of retired, luxury, lethargic, burl walnut interiors, BBS zillion spoke wheels, and hot tea... Kidding :-)

If you're thinkin of Jag, I'd definitely consider/buy an Aston. Ooooohhh...DB9

Last edited by mark12345; 03-31-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:13 PM
Youyou is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mark12345
Same here... Would choose Porsche anytime :-)

Nothing against Jag but everytime I think of Jag, I think of retired, luxury, lethargic, burl walnut interiors, BBS zillion spoke wheels, and hot tea... Kidding :-)

If you're thinkin of Jag, I'd definitely consider/buy an Aston. Ooooohhh...DB9

My thoughts exactly.

DB8 Vantage though.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:13 PM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mark12345
By the choices that you are considering, it doesn't sound like you want a sports car but a cruiser.
The 911 is the true sports car of the original choices that you identified.

The Jags, Mercedes, and certain models of BMW, Audi, Lexus are associated with "older" folks...

My own personal opinion but there seems like something is out of proportion with the Jags. And the nose of the XKR looks out of place and looks extremely long?
I know you're not trying to say Porsche is exclusively a younger mans car.
Around south Florida, the majority of guys I see in 911's are older than me....at least they look older than me.
The Panamera is different. Most drivers I see in it are 35-50ish. Same for the Cayenne.
If you think all of us Lexus owners are old fogies, visit www.clublexus.com
I'm sure your view will be changed.
Jags...all different ages for the XK and XF. Lots of older folks in the XJ.
Benz, seems mostly older people drive them around here. Prolly because they cost a lot. Also, I think older people like all the problems Benz cars have...gives them something to do...meeting up at the dealers service dept turning it into a social club.
All demographics for bimmers but mostly older folks in the 7 series.

These are my observations for south Florida. I don't know the hard facts but it can't be far off.
I wouldn't hesitate to get an XKR. I know how to make it younger real easy....a sweet set of wheels, drop and killer music system.

Evoking, reading your posts on jaguarforums.com I thought your mind was already made up. Whats up with this?

Old 03-31-2012, 09:45 PM
My mind IS made up. I signed the papers and Fedex'd them back. Will fly to pick it up Weds. I just had a last min scramble to see if there was some other car I might want. Stuck with the XKR.

Vantage rode like crap and was slow compared to XKR. XKR is also more durable. It is the most reliable Jag right now and is one of the best kept secrets!

Old 03-31-2012, 09:50 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Evoking
My mind IS made up. I signed the papers and Fedex'd them back. Will fly to pick it up Weds. I just had a last min scramble to see if there was some other car I might want. Stuck with the XKR.

Vantage rode like crap and was slow compared to XKR. XKR is also more durable. It is the most reliable Jag right now and is one of the best kept secrets!
sounds great...all the best...

hope to see some pixs and a full review later.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:50 PM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Evoking

It sounded that was the route you were going. Good luck.

Keep us posted on you purchase.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:11 PM
Enjoy the XKR!

By the way for fun and if you haven't done it yet, go test drive the new 991S... Amazing sports car. Follow on iterations of the 991's will only get better...

Old 04-01-2012, 08:51 AM
In the latest EVO the 991 is pitted against R8, GTR, XKR and something else. One of the comments they made was that the 991 doesn't have the same feel as the 997. 997 is more connected and involving. Not shocking as the 991 grew in nearly every way.

I also actually like how the 997 looks a bit better. Although I do like the lower roofline of the 997.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:54 AM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
Porsche hands down!Period!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone Considered XKR?