997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Anyone Considered XKR?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 10:13 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Evoking
Not at all. After 80 cars and even seeing a bit of gray hair on my chin at the age of 35 I'm far beyond requiring the approval of strangers. Besides, this is a Porsche section! I'm just a car enthusiast and sharing with other car nuts. For those here that are like me and appreciate everything - they may like to learn more about a car they perhaps never paid attention to and enjoy the vid.
What an excellent perspective. Always refreshing to read another enthusiast's opinion. Congrats on your purchase! It looks awesome!
Originally Posted by DS997c2s
The XKRS looks great, but I rather drive a 911

This is one of the prettiest cars I've ever seen (yes, I like the little bits).

Old 04-06-2012, 10:19 AM
cavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to behold
Gorgeous!

Old 04-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Boosted Josh is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ice350
There's a Benz dealer in my area that pissed me off a couple times with their behavior. I remember walking in dressed in business attire and being overlooked for a guy walking in right behind me. Since I was well dressed, my only conclusion was that being black caused the disrespect.
To test my theory, I came back another day. This time I was ignored until the black salesman was available.
I tried one last time. This time the black guy was with someone and they gave me a woman. I asked why all these other guys who are just standing around couldn't help me. Then they came running.

Even one of our BMW dealers pissed me off once. In 07 I was ready to buy a bimmer. It was late but they were still open. I told the receptionist I was ready to buy now. Several salesmen were in their cubicles but none came out. I said a few choice words out loud and went straight down the street where the Lexus salesmen stayed late working a deal for the car I'm driving now.

Recently, I had an incident at the local Aston Martin/Bentley dealership. The guy that came over kept trying to tell me the car wasn't for me. He said they were too small and should never have aftermarket wheels put on.

Since I'm car shopping again, I've noticed that other brands and dealers are purposely sending out the black or minority salesperson for me. I don't like it. Except the Jaguar dealer...they don't have a black salesman. I've been there about 6 times and haven't seen one yet.

I prefer to shop where the only color that matters is green.

It is terrible that you have to deal with that type prejudice. I'm with you, young, old, black, white, yellow, or red, the only thing that should matter is green.

But reading your post reminded me of an episode of the Cosby show where Dr. Huxtable was going to buy a new car. He dressed in his most ratty clothes thinking that he would get a better deal if the salesman thought he didn't have a lot of money. They were about the finish the deal when someone he knew walked in the dealership and said "Dr. Huxtable is so nice to see you" and blew his "cover". The salesman looks over at Bill and says " So you're a Dr. huh?"

Old 04-06-2012, 11:23 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Oh...shoot..I forgot...it's still a FORD!!!

I have an F250...good truck, but that's about all they make well!!

Good luck on the ride. It's sweet looking...hope it all works out for ya. Get a radar detector or you will be like me...ticket after ticket!!

Old 04-06-2012, 11:28 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RaidersR1
Oh...shoot..I forgot...it's still a FORD!!!

I have an F250...good truck, but that's about all they make well!!

Good luck on the ride. It's sweet looking...hope it all works out for ya. Get a radar detector or you will be like me...ticket after ticket!!
About as much as Aston Martin was...

I hope you are joking about the 'Ford' thing.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:34 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
About as much as Aston Martin was...

I hope you are joking about the 'Ford' thing.
Doesn't Ford still own Jag? Seeing the picture of the car next to the Ford Dealer reminded me that Ford owns Jag...at least I thought they did. I don't keep up with everything...but that would make Jag a Ford!!

Old 04-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by RaidersR1
Doesn't Ford still own Jag? Seeing the picture of the car next to the Ford Dealer reminded me that Ford owns Jag...at least I thought they did. I don't keep up with everything...but that would make Jag a Ford!!
Like I said, as much as an Aventador is a Beetle.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Like I said, as much as an Aventador is a Beetle.
Soon Porsche will be a VW!! I guess it only matters on the parent company how much it interjects ideas and policies on the car. If they are ran separately, then Porsche can be considered a Porsche, but if VW styling gets into the car....then it may detract from the whole history of the PCar.

Jag got help from Ford, financially. Which I think helped them develop what they are selling now. Time will tell!!

Old 04-06-2012, 12:19 PM
neuneleven has a spectacular aura aboutneuneleven has a spectacular aura about
Nice pics. Felt tempted about the XKR when getting the 911 but had worries about getting car seats in the back which I have been able to do with the 911 and that certainly swayed me. XKR is a gorgeous piece of machinery though, enjoy!!!

Old 04-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
Thanks for the compliments. Boy, some of you are way too detailed. It's my picture and even I didn't notice the Ford in the back ground. That is a random coincidence that a Ford dealer is across the street from the Jag dealer.

No Ford doesn't own Jaguar anymore. A conglomerate called Tata Motors has owned them for upwards of 5 years. There is a 1hr show on Discovery HD that covers very special machines and how they're constructed. I forgot what it is called but it featured the XK. I should have kept in on DVR but when I saw it 6 months ago little did I know I'd own one. But it is immensely impressive. I'm going to try and find it.

Last edited by Evoking; 04-06-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute

Evoking, reading your posts on jaguarforums.com I thought your mind was already made up. Whats up with this?
Posters of the "... Help me out guys I can't make up my mind..." posts always have their minds made up well in advance of posting their question. They post to get confirmation that their choice is correct and acceptable to the audiance they've choose. When they get confirmation they are happy about their decision, which I suspect is what he got from the Jag owners. When the poster doesn't get confirmation, which is the most common response he got on this forum, they assume the respondents are in error and they are still happy with decision which, has already been made anyway. For the life of me I don't understand why anyone would ask Ford owners if they should buy a Chevy ?

As for your comments regarding old people, you'll find that when you get old, you'll take offense at younger people stereotyping you because your old self doesn't fit the stereotype because you believe you're actually just a young guy in an old mans body.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
Refer back to post 46 as well as my initial post. I was heavily leaning toward the XKR. But I then got tempted back to a Porsche of which I've owned 4. I posted here to find out exactly what my title asked... Have any of you also considered XKR and how you compared them. I obviously know your final choice. It's the feedback I was interested in hearing.

And I actually got a lot more positve feedback here than expected. Most car guys appreciate all types of cars. Some are highly biased i.e. Jerry Seinfeld. I would never own that much of a single brand. Makes no sense to me personally. I love variety and there is only so much variation model to model in the same brand with the same general DNA. Also for example, I've usually kept 3 cars composed of a hardcore sports car, luxury sedan, and an SUV to haul stuff and perhaps a 3rd row.

I've gone from S2000 to Viper GTS - two ends of the spectrum. Most Viper guys would laugh at an S2000 with a closed mind. Until they drive one and appreciate the simple quick bolt action rifle shifter feel considered one of the best ever, the quick steering and tossable feel of 2800lbs and the way the nose drops out of sight. Would they prefer over their Viper pehaps not but until they got the stick out of their rears they would never come to appreciate it's virtues.

It is fun to grow and sample. To stick with the same thing because you love it is all ok. But to dogmatically hold a line without opening the mind is - well, dogmatic. Or to stick to the same thing because it fulfills a cliche' or image is a bit shallow. I have crossed genres of sports cars from expensive to cheap, used to new. hardcore to GT and I'm sure I'll complete the circle again before its all over. All about the journey!

Old 04-06-2012, 08:38 PM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
Today I visited the local Porsche dealer for my first look at the 991. The interior improvement was definitely noticed. It's a little more luxurious and roomier than the 997. I'm going back to drive it but so far I was impressed. The Carrera S is about the same money as the XKR.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:43 PM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
Today I visited the local Porsche dealer for my first look at the 991. The interior improvement was definitely noticed. It's a little more luxurious and roomier than the 997. I'm going back to drive it but so far I was impressed. The Carrera S is about the same money as the XKR.
The 991/991S are amazing vehicles. Imagine what the C4S, GT3, Turbo, etc are going to be...

I do like the presence of he XKR...saw one on the road and it's beautiful.
But it doesn't draw me in like the Porsche does

Old 04-07-2012, 07:37 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I love how the British guy is all pro-Jaguar. I think the XKR looks good in black, but other colors...not so much. What is the mpg rating on the XKR ? Honestly with today's gas prices I'm not going back to something that doesn't get at least 25 mpg on the highway.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone Considered XKR?