997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Anyone Considered XKR?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 09:23 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dadio
Posters of the "... Help me out guys I can't make up my mind..." posts always have their minds made up well in advance of posting their question. They post to get confirmation that their choice is correct and acceptable to the audiance they've choose. When they get confirmation they are happy about their decision, which I suspect is what he got from the Jag owners. When the poster doesn't get confirmation, which is the most common response he got on this forum, they assume the respondents are in error and they are still happy with decision which, has already been made anyway. For the life of me I don't understand why anyone would ask Ford owners if they should buy a Chevy ?

As for your comments regarding old people, you'll find that when you get old, you'll take offense at younger people stereotyping you because your old self doesn't fit the stereotype because you believe you're actually just a young guy in an old mans body.
Well said!

Old 04-07-2012, 09:25 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ice350
Today I visited the local Porsche dealer for my first look at the 991. The interior improvement was definitely noticed. It's a little more luxurious and roomier than the 997. I'm going back to drive it but so far I was impressed. The Carrera S is about the same money as the XKR.
Either the 991 you saw is different from the many I 've seen or the 997 you have (or seen) is very different from the ones I know.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:50 PM
zanwar is infamous around these partszanwar is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by adias
Either the 991 you saw is different from the many I 've seen or the 997 you have (or seen) is very different from the ones I know.
If your 997 has as many luxury appointments and as much interior space as the 991, then your 997 is different from the 997s the rest of us own.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:43 AM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chance6
I love how the British guy is all pro-Jaguar. I think the XKR looks good in black, but other colors...not so much. What is the mpg rating on the XKR ? Honestly with today's gas prices I'm not going back to something that doesn't get at least 25 mpg on the highway.
I never imagined that people who buy these type of cars cared about gas mileage. Seems to me you buy a 4 cylinder Honda or Toyota if mileage was important.

Maybe a hybrid but they usually cost too much for someone who is cost conscious.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:53 AM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
My thoughts exactly! Makes no sense to spend $100k+ (which is about 4x the price of the average car) on a hyper performance/luxury car and the sweat the mpg...

Old 04-08-2012, 03:30 PM
tiyyara is infamous around these parts
Drive both back to back and there is no way you will come out saying "they are both the same", one of them will make you "tick" more. And choose that one.
These cars are not "similar". They actually are built to be different.
The XKR does not want to be a 991 , and it won't be and it won't beat a 991 at what a 991 wants and will do.
The 991 never was meant to be an XKR.
So back to the first line of my post
Good Luck, your problem is not so bad after all :-)

Old 04-08-2012, 03:49 PM
py0413 is a jewel in the roughpy0413 is a jewel in the roughpy0413 is a jewel in the rough
I would cross shop the XKR if I am in the market for a big front engine, luxurious, powerful, stylish, comfortable, GT car. However, to me, the XKR or others in that category should be comparing with the 911. They are just way too different. But that s just me.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:46 PM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
Jag is a beast!

Old 04-29-2012, 12:30 AM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
Nice vid. It is a freakin beast. Romp on it in any gear and if traction control is off you better be ready for some tail out antics. It has the sledghammer torque of my Viper in a refined svelte muscular package. I'm loving it so far.

Just got it detailed and will post some pics soon.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:23 AM
sambone95 is infamous around these parts

Hello, I realize I am a little late to the party. However, I thought I would share my personal experience as it may be helpful in your decision making.

I owned a 2004 40th anniversary 911 (#483 of 1963 if I remember correctly). I loved it. The upgrades (X51, sport suspension, etc.) really set the car apart from the standard 996. I drove it for several years. It’s status as a pseudo collectors car stopped me from making any mods. Bored, I kept my Porsche and bought a slightly used, 12,000 miles, 2008 Audi RS4. It was certainly a brilliant car. Great acceleration and handling, comfortable to drive (relatively), and more modern conveniences than the Porsche. However, I found myself more frequently letting my girlfriend take the Audi and I took the Porsche.

I ended up selling both and getting a 2008 Jaguar XKR with 2500 miles. At the time, the styling was much more exotic, the power was excellent and the interior more luxurious. Fortunately, there was a factory bumper to bumper warranty and I lived less than 1 mile from a Jag dealership. During my 9 months of ownership, I had to take it in for repairs 6 times. Problems with the spoiler coming loose, a headlight error, a cooling sensor error and a recurring ECU error that kept tripping the car into limp mode. All repaired and no cost, but none the less, a hassle. Apart from the reliability issues (which statistics suggest were somewhat of an anomaly) I found the driving experience of the car slightly dull. The traction control was too intrusive and disabling it took holding the button down for a full 10 seconds. The steering response was light and overall uninspiring. It was a fantastic car overall, just not as exciting as I had hoped.

Needless to say, I sold it and purchased a 997S and have never regretted my decision. My two cents. Good luck with your search!

Old 05-11-2012, 06:34 PM
fc2s is infamous around these partsfc2s is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sambone95
Hello, I realize I am a little late to the party. However, I thought I would share my personal experience as it may be helpful in your decision making.

I owned a 2004 40th anniversary 911 (#483 of 1963 if I remember correctly). I loved it. The upgrades (X51, sport suspension, etc.) really set the car apart from the standard 996. I drove it for several years. It’s status as a pseudo collectors car stopped me from making any mods. Bored, I kept my Porsche and bought a slightly used, 12,000 miles, 2008 Audi RS4. It was certainly a brilliant car. Great acceleration and handling, comfortable to drive (relatively), and more modern conveniences than the Porsche. However, I found myself more frequently letting my girlfriend take the Audi and I took the Porsche.

I ended up selling both and getting a 2008 Jaguar XKR with 2500 miles. At the time, the styling was much more exotic, the power was excellent and the interior more luxurious. Fortunately, there was a factory bumper to bumper warranty and I lived less than 1 mile from a Jag dealership. During my 9 months of ownership, I had to take it in for repairs 6 times. Problems with the spoiler coming loose, a headlight error, a cooling sensor error and a recurring ECU error that kept tripping the car into limp mode. All repaired and no cost, but none the less, a hassle. Apart from the reliability issues (which statistics suggest were somewhat of an anomaly) I found the driving experience of the car slightly dull. The traction control was too intrusive and disabling it took holding the button down for a full 10 seconds. The steering response was light and overall uninspiring. It was a fantastic car overall, just not as exciting as I had hoped.

Needless to say, I sold it and purchased a 997S and have never regretted my decision. My two cents. Good luck with your search!

You get the last word... maybe.
Great first hand review - thanks.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:57 PM
ArainLA has a spectacular aura aboutArainLA has a spectacular aura aboutArainLA has a spectacular aura about
Last week I got to spend 2.5 hours driving a few Jags at this event http://www.jaguarusa.com/drive-experience/schedule/ .

I got to drive the XKR-S on a autoX and 0-60 type course.
ItS a fast comfy car and at $135k seems to compete with the 991S since all the 991's I've seen are S and configured to cost over $125k.

The XKR-S is a great looking car and comfy.
But it's much more a GT car than a sports car.
The 997S I just got is a much more uncomfortable car to my wife than the Jag would be.
It also had a lot of electronics and would be very afraid to keep the car past warranty.
Also the models I drove were auto and not sure if manual is available?

The seats were great and very racing inspired looking.
The leather interior was fantastic and beautiful.
The blue one with blue stitching was my favorite.

Everyone should see if that jaguar event is coming to their area and try to attend.
Here is link again: http://www.jaguarusa.com/drive-experience/schedule/

Old 06-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Sorry for the late reply, just seeing the first hand review. Nice. Yes, those types of issues seem to be rare and the XK has been a stout reliable platform for Jag.

I've had the 11' XKR for about 2 months now and have begun modding it. I did exhaust and lower springs last week. It looks, sounds and drives like a beast. The wheels now sit in too far so I'm definitely going to get some concave wheels.

Here are some pics:

Name:  Northeast-20120606-00110.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  282.3 KB

Name:  Plano-20120609-00120.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  211.8 KB

Name:  Plano-20120609-00121.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  198.7 KB

Name:  Plano-20120609-00122.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  227.1 KB

Name:  Plano-20120609-00124.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  236.7 KB

And here are a couple of clips:

http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/k...0606-00007.mp4

http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/k...0606-00006.mp4

Last edited by Evoking; 06-11-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:11 PM
ocgearhead is a splendid one to beholdocgearhead is a splendid one to beholdocgearhead is a splendid one to beholdocgearhead is a splendid one to beholdocgearhead is a splendid one to beholdocgearhead is a splendid one to beholdocgearhead is a splendid one to behold
Have been debating a used C2S or XKR for a few months now. Test drove both multiple times now. C2S was hands down more fun driving experience. XKR was surprisingly fast but overall it I didn't have the grin on my face driving it like the C2S. However, I did have a grin while I was getting in/out of the car at the dealership and having people looking at the car. I like the idea of having a car that elicits that reaction. History of poor reliability though is probably what's going to keep me from getting a Jag and I'm most likely going to go with the C2S.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Porschejeff is infamous around these parts
As a proud owner of both a Jaguar XK Convertible (not the R), but have driven them and own a 996 Turbo Cab, both are great machines. However, before owning my Jag I was driving a 2002 911 Cab. I missed the sportiness of the P car and the need for the manual transmission. he one significant item you will learn about the Jag is they depreciate like crazy. The Porsche definitely holds it's value much better. From a creature feature point of view, the Jag has it all, and I do like all of those features. However, even with the roar of the Jag, nothing quite sounds as beautiful as the engine of the Porsche.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone Considered XKR?