997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Changing 997.1 bumpers to 997.2 ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Youyou is infamous around these parts
Changing 997.1 bumpers to 997.2 ??

Hey guys,

So as i prepare to hopefully soon acquire my second 997.1 C4S i've been back on these forums reading and looking at the things that i can do.

So as many of you with 997.1 Carrera's , i would like to get the 997.2 updated look for the front and back LED'S.
So my question is instead of going to the Dectane or Rottec way has anyone actually just swapped out their front or back bumpers with the new lights.
Obviously i know this would be more pricey but is it doable and is it plug and play?
I have connections where i can probably get the front bumper for a really great price and so i'm trying to figure out if that isn't a better solution.
I would really like to get as OEM as possible and though Dectane and Rottec look nice , to me they really don't look like OEM.

How complicated would it be if i had a 997.2 bumper?

For me as well , going with a C4S the back is a lot more tricky since i'd had to swap out the deck lid and bumper and lights.

Any info or links to threads to people who have done so would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Old 04-01-2012, 03:15 PM
seskiyapan is infamous around these parts
it is doable. i have done front andback on my 05 997

Old 04-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by seskiyapan
it is doable. i have done front andback on my 05 997
Awesome!
Any threads about it?
Can you elaborate a little on your experience...
Costs involved,any errors?
Pictures?

Old 04-01-2012, 04:52 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Suncoast sells a package deal that includes all necessary parts.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:15 PM
blazinginder is infamous around these parts
Guys just out of curiosity...how much does the conversion run approx?

Old 04-01-2012, 07:50 PM
JPSJR is infamous around these parts
To those who want to do this, I Reccommend It! There are some things I suggest you get:

- Get Package deal from Suncoast Porsche, hands down the cheapest price! Cost will run you +/- $5,400.00 to $5,800.00 depending on shipping.
- Painting at body shop, I used Final Touch in NJ (Robert) hands down the best price and workmanship! This guy knows his ****! Thanks Robert, if your reading this!
- When ordering from Suncoast, make sure you ask Ryan to get you new tubing for the headlight washer system (the one for 2009-2012 due to tubing being longer) and the finishing black metal trim that gets riveted to rear bumper. These items were not in there package price. Also, you will need the 8 screws that screw the fog lights to the bumper, another item not in their kit.

I installed the new bumpers myself and removed the old ones myself. Very easy to do and I will tell you it should not take longer than 2-3 hours for the rear and 2-3 hours for the front. Mike, a poster on Rennlist has excellent step by step photos of the removal of the 997.1 bumper, the 997.2 goes on the same except for a couple of screws are added or deleted, you can't screw up. The funny thing is that I never took the wheels off at all, I was able to turn the wheel if I needed space to work. As far as the look, I love it. Yes it is more expensive then buying Dectane and Rotec lighting, but I wanted the updated look which appeals to me more. I plan on keeping car, so the value is not an issue and since I own the car out right, I would rather be happy with the look!
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Again, thanks to Ryan at Suncoast Porsche, Robert at Final Touch Auto Body, and Phil at Detailer Domain, who will clear bra the car and detail it once I reach 45-50 days of curing time on the paint.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by JPSJR
To those who want to do this, I Reccommend It! There are some things I suggest you get:

- Get Package deal from Suncoast Porsche, hands down the cheapest price! Cost will run you +/- $5,400.00 to $5,800.00 depending on shipping.
- Painting at body shop, I used Final Touch in NJ (Robert) hands down the best price and workmanship! This guy knows his ****! Thanks Robert, if your reading this!
- When ordering from Suncoast, make sure you ask Ryan to get you new tubing for the headlight washer system (the one for 2009-2012 due to tubing being longer) and the finishing black metal trim that gets riveted to rear bumper. These items were not in there package price. Also, you will need the 8 screws that screw the fog lights to the bumper, another item not in their kit.

I installed the new bumpers myself and removed the old ones myself. Very easy to do and I will tell you it should not take longer than 2-3 hours for the rear and 2-3 hours for the front. Mike, a poster on Rennlist has excellent step by step photos of the removal of the 997.1 bumper, the 997.2 goes on the same except for a couple of screws are added or deleted, you can't screw up. The funny thing is that I never took the wheels off at all, I was able to turn the wheel if I needed space to work. As far as the look, I love it. Yes it is more expensive then buying Dectane and Rotec lighting, but I wanted the updated look which appeals to me more. I plan on keeping car, so the value is not an issue and since I own the car out right, I would rather be happy with the look!
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Again, thanks to Ryan at Suncoast Porsche, Robert at Final Touch Auto Body, and Phil at Detailer Domain, who will clear bra the car and detail it once I reach 45-50 days of curing time on the paint.

Awesome!! Thank you so much for the info.
I'll be getting a 4S though so i'm assuming i will need a rear deck lid as well if i want the true OEM 997.2 look???
There's the reflector that runs through it...

Old 04-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
997.2 = DFI

Tough to change that out

Old 04-01-2012, 09:20 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
I Reccommend It!
JPSJR, What an endorsement! What made you chose the 997.2 conversion over the Aerokit or GT3 conversion?

Old 04-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Katera
997.2 = DFI

Tough to change that out

Don't need it. Don't want it

Old 04-02-2012, 09:43 AM
JPSJR is infamous around these parts
Just wanted a cleaner look. As far as a recommendation, it was mainly to the original poster, was not trying to flame anyone.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Can you post pictures? Other then the rear tailight, what is the difference in the rear bumpers? Is it lower to the ground or anything?

Old 04-02-2012, 01:37 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
the 997.2 bumper is similar to the 997.1 ones. just with the cutout to accommodate the lower profile of the 997.2 tail lights...