997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Engine RPM while driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:10 AM
b2sc is infamous around these parts
Engine RPM while driving

I know that these cars don’t like to be lugged around and that you should typically be in a gear that has the motor turning no less than 4000 RPM or so.

Who does this???? When not driving spiritedly, I had in the past driven my performance cars in the highest gear I felt comfortable without actually lugging the motor. Say 2500 RPM @ 45 mph carrying enough R’s where the car will accelerate just fine if I stepped on the accelerator.

Now in the 911s (mines a 6MT), even running 70 MPH, to be in the 4000 RPM range I’d have to be in 4th gear which seems pretty unnatural to me whereas 5th is more comfortable and knowing 6th would produce even better mileage but I’d be under 3000 RPM in top gear… I’ve had to consciously relearn to hold gears longer and cruise/commute in a lower gear than I typically would in other cars.

So, who keeps their motor turning above 4k during their normal driving routines, especially during normal runs on the interstates? Anyone??

Old 04-04-2012, 10:14 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
no less than 4k?
lugging is to fall below 1.5K rpm. anything from 2.5k to 4k is a perfectly normal street driving. i personally do not like engine response from 2 to 3 k rpm but if you are not in a hurry it does not hurt your motor to be in 5th gear at 6-mph. just saves you some gas.

6th gear is horrible on these cars, they should have made it way higher to be used on a highway only.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:23 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
For normal street driving I am in the 3,000 - 4,000 RPM range. More spirited I might run up to 5,500. I typically stay in 5th on the highway. I only use 6th on the highway if I know I am going for a decent amount of time and I won't need to downshift to keep the rpms above 3,000.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:35 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Nothing below 4K? you are my kind of driver! Flat Out Commute!

Old 04-04-2012, 10:50 AM
terpsred has a spectacular aura aboutterpsred has a spectacular aura about
Big Oil thanks you..4k is pretty wound up for daily cruising. I agree that 2500-3000 is most likely where I sit while just rolling around.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:53 AM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by terpsred
Big Oil thanks you..4k is pretty wound up for daily cruising. I agree that 2500-3000 is most likely where I sit while just rolling around.
I'm in line with this, I think everyone and their brother did a double take at cruising at 4K.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
These cars are made to drive around the 5k range. That's the fun zone! Not cruising have you, but "driving".

Old 04-04-2012, 11:54 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
I would say that in 6th gear on a flat road around 2kRPM is fine. A 997.2DFI can actually cruise without lugging in 7th gear below that. But I agree that the boxer engine likes to experience higher revs often.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
3 k is where I generally drive mine when crusing. In town would be slightly higher but never at 4 k unless in heavier traffic where frequent shifting/braking is required.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Good question, I've wondered about that too.

When I'm gently cruising, I'm usually at 2500 to 3500. For more spirited driving (which is my norm), I like to cruise at 3500 to 4500, and I don't hesitate to go up to about 6500 for hard acceleration. I find that the engine generally wants to be above 4000 for a good throttle response.

Of course, the higher revs are only after the engine is warmed up.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:19 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
i drive on local streets at about 3500-4k rpm

on hwy, i would be at lower rpm (closer to 3k rpm) if i am cruisin'

when i am driving hard, the rev will be between 5-7k rpm

i am curious to know what RPM the tip/pdk keeps the car in when driving 'normal'..

Old 04-05-2012, 11:31 AM
alpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
i am curious to know what RPM the tip/pdk keeps the car in when driving 'normal'..
On the highway during my morning commute (lots of traffic but everyone moving 65 - 85 mph) in my C2 tip, with light pressure on the accelerator, the transmission down shifts at 1500 RPMs and upshifts at 2200 RPMs. It is very repeatable. Later, with less traffic, a heavy foot on the accelerator and sport mode, the shift points change dramatically but I never seem to remember to stare at the gear indicators and tachometer.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:17 PM
ACRB is infamous around these parts
Low to mid 3's seems comfortable driving around the streets of L.A. That is a good question, and it is interesting to see other owners responses.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:04 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Like to keep mine around 3K when cruising / driving. Someone once told me that the wear and tear on a engine typically driven up to 3K rev is substantially less than when you routinely get higher up in the rev band. Logic tells me that there has to be some truth in that statement because of the exponential centrifugal forces and directional forces on about anything that moves inside that engine.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:09 PM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
I'm pegging mine every chance I get!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine RPM while driving