997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

backup cameras law

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:05 AM
frontside720 is infamous around these partsfrontside720 is infamous around these parts
I put one in on my car when I installed the double din kenwood.

Its tucked in just above the rear plate and I absolutely love it and use it all the time. I always back into parking spaces so it helps me keep as tucked in as possible. I can also turn it on and watch the cars behind me when I'm on the HWY but thats just a novelty.

Not worth the mod to just add one but it made sense when I was doing a full head unit swap.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:37 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Back up cameras will be the seatbelts of the 70ies and the airbags on the 90ies. Both were very controversial. Now you wouldn't buy are car with out them.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:41 AM
MI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Minok
Makes little difference unless the vehicle is badly designed..The cameras compensate for stupid behavior of poor design..
huh ? (guess I'll simply roll eyes, shake head and disregard this post..)

Old 04-06-2012, 09:18 AM
Boosted Josh is infamous around these parts
I think it is stupid for the Government to mandate that all cars come with back up cameras.

However the truck I used to have had a back up camera with the display in the mirror

It was great particularly for parallel parking especially in a truck that sits up so high that there is no way to see how close you are to a car behind you.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:36 AM
TT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really nice
I much prefer the parking distance feature that beeps as you get closer to objects. The new 911 I drove even had them in the front. That way I still turn and look over my shoulder, use my mirrors, etc but I have that little extra margin of safety if I miss something with my visual checks. Very useful especially in dark airport parking garages.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:05 AM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
i think people should turn their heads.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:42 AM
FCassidy is infamous around these parts
Porsche said they don't have it, my 2011 didn't have an option just ordered a 2012 same thing. Found a company here in Florida that will install

Old 04-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Boosted Josh is infamous around these parts
The next thing you know all cars will be required to have curb feelers.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:20 PM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
Just one more piece of legislation to make cars more expensive ....
don't rely on anything other than your own eyes...
Camera would be an aid with questionable value...

Old 04-06-2012, 12:22 PM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
Watch, they'll mandate that all cars have to be retrofitted with the device..

Which politician has access to making a fortune on back-up cameras?

Old 04-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by Boosted Josh
I think it is stupid for the Government to mandate that all cars come with back up cameras.

However the truck I used to have had a back up camera with the display in the mirror

It was great particularly for parallel parking especially in a truck that sits up so high that there is no way to see how close you are to a car behind you.
One more place to PIMP MY RIDE... a tv screen in the side mirror... actually,two mirrors=two tv screens...

I be so fine!

Old 04-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by MI55LE
huh ? (guess I'll simply roll eyes, shake head and disregard this post..)
stupid behavior OR poor design. Typo.

Clear now?

Old 04-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Boosted Josh

With larger vehicles, I can see the benefits for hooking up a trailer hitch.

But in general: you saw the driveway behind was clear when you got in right?

The folks in your neighborhood are not so stupid as to walk behind a vehicle that is backing up right?

If the vehicle is designed such that you cannot see whats behind it via the mirrors or back windows... that's a design issue. You should, when backing up, be able to see and have some idea where the back end of your vehicle is, relative to other things. I'm not saying there are no blind spots, but you should know if and when you might hit a wall or something.

But on a passenger car... its hard to make the case.

But if we are gonna put stuff on cars, why not some electronics that sense the parking lines and if the parking lines are touched by or under your car, the doors don't allow you to get out. :-)

I guess I'm a bit tired of owners of huge trucks and SUVs that are too lazy to learn how to drive and park them correctly. If you buy a land yacht, friggen learn how to maneuver it into a properly sized parking space and park where you fit. If you cannot do that, then buy a smaller vehicle.

Ok, I feel better now.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:10 AM
p's pcar is infamous around these partsp's pcar is infamous around these parts
I had the misfortune of seeing a toddler who was crushed to death by his father who backed over him with his car being brought into the emergency room while I was a resident. The family was devastated.
I know that my 3 year old is not as tall as the average new car rear window. He would be hard to see even if you were looking backwards. Modern cars are just too big, not to mention the SUVs and minivans.
Adding a backup camera to a vehicle without an existing visual display screen will probably cost $159 to $203 per vehicle. That number shrinks to between $58 and $88 for vehicles that already use display screens.
Seems like a small price to pay. I'm sure that father would be happy to pay that price.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:44 AM
cavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by p's pcar
I had the misfortune of seeing a toddler who was crushed to death by his father who backed over him with his car being brought into the emergency room while I was a resident. The family was devastated.
I know that my 3 year old is not as tall as the average new car rear window. He would be hard to see even if you were looking backwards. Modern cars are just too big, not to mention the SUVs and minivans.
Adding a backup camera to a vehicle without an existing visual display screen will probably cost $159 to $203 per vehicle. That number shrinks to between $58 and $88 for vehicles that already use display screens.
Seems like a small price to pay. I'm sure that father would be happy to pay that price.
Agreed. But we can play this safety game all day. Too many free choices are becoming requirements.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: backup cameras law