997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Front LED DRL Light Installation Walk Through Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Doug L. is infamous around these parts
Frontside720,

Thank you so much for your LED installation tutorial!!! My lights were delivered today from Revolution Motorsports (I highly recommend them...)and are now installed on my car. Your pictures and advice made this a very simple upgrade. Start to finish in under an hour. I am borderline OCD and take my time on projects like this and this could be done much quicker. I hope I can some day return the favor for the help your tutorial provided today.

I also did the Utkinpol II hack with the Radio Shack diode. I also used PSPorsche's recent photos and walk through and that was also a big help. I can now leave the lights in home mode and have true DRL functionality without worrying about battery drain. I am so stoked to have this update completed. It looks awesome and really updates the car. Thanks again.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:17 PM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Doug L.
Frontside720,

Thank you so much for your LED installation tutorial!!! My lights were delivered today from Revolution Motorsports (I highly recommend them...)and are now installed on my car. Your pictures and advice made this a very simple upgrade. Start to finish in under an hour. I am borderline OCD and take my time on projects like this and this could be done much quicker. I hope I can some day return the favor for the help your tutorial provided today.

I also did the Utkinpol II hack with the Radio Shack diode. I also used PSPorsche's recent photos and walk through and that was also a big help. I can now leave the lights in home mode and have true DRL functionality without worrying about battery drain. I am so stoked to have this update completed. It looks awesome and really updates the car. Thanks again.
How hard was it to do the diode hack? I had to reverse the Utkinpol 1st version out because it was draining my battery.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:29 PM
It took all of 15 minutes. It was one of the easiest 997 mods I have done. Look at page 15 of the original Utkinpol thread. Look for PSPorsche's new photos and write up. I followed it to the letter and it worked great. I now have true DRL functionality in the "home" position and it cost a $1.29 plus tax for two diodes and 15 minutes of my time. If you need any additional info, please PM me. Good luck!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:35 PM
frontside720 is infamous around these partsfrontside720 is infamous around these parts
Frontside720,

That's Awesome Doug!! I'm glad this helped you out!!

Cory

Old 07-02-2012, 10:43 PM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
It took all of 15 minutes. It was one of the easiest 997 mods I have done. Look at page 15 of the original Utkinpol thread. Look for PSPorsche's new photos and write up. I followed it to the letter and it worked great. I now have true DRL functionality in the "home" position and it cost a $1.29 plus tax for two diodes and 15 minutes of my time. If you need any additional info, please PM me. Good luck!
Does the DRL come on separately from the foglight with hack?

Since I don't have true DRL, when I turned on the LEDs, both the DRL and foglight come on together.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:38 PM
I am new to 997's and this forum. I can tell you that in the "home" position the bottom row of lights and the bar in the middle turns on. It seems to me that the 2009 forward cars do the same. I passed one the other day and it had both on. However, I have no idea how his/her lights were positioned. I assumed that is the normal look for the 997.2 DRL.

So, I guess based on your question, both the bottom lights and middle strip light up in the "home" position. I hope this helps...

Old 07-02-2012, 11:44 PM
I am new to 997's and this forum. I can tell you that in the "home" position the bottom row of lights and the bar in the middle turns on. It seems to me that the 2009 forward cars do the same. I passed one the other day and it had both on. However, I have no idea how his/her lights were positioned. I assumed that is the normal look for the 997.2 DRL.

So, I guess based on your question, both the bottom lights and middle strip light up in the "home" position. I hope this helps...
It does help! Thank you!

Old 10-30-2012, 04:16 PM
gvcap10 has a spectacular aura aboutgvcap10 has a spectacular aura aboutgvcap10 has a spectacular aura about
Talking

All I can say is THANK YOU!!!! You saved my ***. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the extra plug was for until I saw your picture of the little blue bulb!!! Thanks again and fantastic DYI!!!!!

Old 10-30-2012, 04:30 PM
JeffT is infamous around these parts
Agreed! Awesome DIY. After reading this, the first side took 15 minutes, the second, literally 5. (not counting the time to pull out the light again to reverse the polarity of the middle connection, though) Did the diode hack at the same time. Another 15 minutes, done. Very satisfying mod. Must be good for at least 15hp, I'd think.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:36 PM
gvcap10 has a spectacular aura aboutgvcap10 has a spectacular aura aboutgvcap10 has a spectacular aura about
Just so I'm on the right page. Only the bottom and middle bar lights up white LED and the blinker will be orange. After seeing the polarity issue, I want to make sure I didn't miss anything?

Old 10-30-2012, 09:16 PM
JeffT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gvcap10
Just so I'm on the right page. Only the bottom and middle bar lights up white LED and the blinker will be orange. After seeing the polarity issue, I want to make sure I didn't miss anything?
Yup. That's what mine does. Either that's correct or we're both wrong.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:38 AM
amge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond repute
What instance does (just) the middle light bar come on? I've seen it from time to time and I am not sure how that is done? Essentially the bottom row of lights is the replacement for the fog lights, and the top row is the turn signal, just confused about the middle light bar on what is wired to...

Old 10-31-2012, 01:31 PM
I've never seen just the center bar come on alone. Mine comes on with the bottom row. Then again, I didn't do any fancy wiring modification? Maybe others can assist you on that one....

Old 10-31-2012, 01:41 PM
amge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond repute
I found a video for just the center bar lit up....He's saying that is the DRL. Maybe his are wired wrong? That's a possibility too. I am just confused on what controls what comes up at what time.

http://www.popscreen.com/v/6U0by/Por...g-Turn-Signals

Old 10-31-2012, 07:52 PM
paddyh is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by amge63
What instance does (just) the middle light bar come on? I've seen it from time to time and I am not sure how that is done? Essentially the bottom row of lights is the replacement for the fog lights, and the top row is the turn signal, just confused about the middle light bar on what is wired to...
Originally Posted by gvcap10
I've never seen just the center bar come on alone. Mine comes on with the bottom row. Then again, I didn't do any fancy wiring modification? Maybe others can assist you on that one....
Check out this link for explanation

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3539861

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front LED DRL Light Installation Walk Through Help