997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Guys, buying first Porsche soon. Dream coming true for me but need advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:03 PM
EvilSelf is infamous around these parts
It was very hard for me to choose a coupe or a cab but i chose a coupe. I have an SLK280 which is a hardtop convertible so i can use it for that reason.

Maybe my next 911 will be a cab. lol

Old 04-10-2012, 02:28 PM
mb230s is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by EvilSelf
I have one more questions for the experts around here. The 08 C4S i am looking at does not have the Sport Chrono Package. I just saw that i feel like i will be missing something..Can you give me more info on this option please?

How much does the option cost so maybe i can bargain with them for lack of it?

Thank you and appreciate your timely help!!!!
Which transmission? In a manual 6 speed car the Chrono package is essentially a very expensive stop watch and some some additional features of little value. In the Tip/PDK cars it makes a bigger difference b/c it changes the shifting.

(3 different Porsche dealers initially offered this opinion when I was car shopping. As I dug deeper into Sport Chrono and have now read the instruction manual - I have to agree. Might be nice to have but I sure wouldn't pay extra for it.)

Old 04-10-2012, 02:34 PM
tiyyara is infamous around these parts
I agree with MB230s. Once I decided on manual, I found the Chrono package not to be too much of value. If a used car has it ok, if it does not no prob. Would I pay for it on a new car. Previously I thought yes. Now that my car does not have it, I am not sure I would.
To sum up, manual not a problem with or without. PDK, it would be nice to have.
Cleanliness and history is more important than Chrono package in my opinion

Old 04-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by mb230s
Which transmission? In a manual 6 speed car the Chrono package is essentially a very expensive stop watch and some some additional features of little value. In the Tip/PDK cars it makes a bigger difference b/c it changes the shifting.

(3 different Porsche dealers initially offered this opinion when I was car shopping. As I dug deeper into Sport Chrono and have now read the instruction manual - I have to agree. Might be nice to have but I sure wouldn't pay extra for it.)
It is a manual transmission. Thanks man!!!!!

Old 04-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by tiyyara
I agree with MB230s. Once I decided on manual, I found the Chrono package not to be too much of value. If a used car has it ok, if it does not no prob. Would I pay for it on a new car. Previously I thought yes. Now that my car does not have it, I am not sure I would.
To sum up, manual not a problem with or without. PDK, it would be nice to have.
Cleanliness and history is more important than Chrono package in my opinion
Thanks man! I sure appreciate the info..Man, i am so excited...about the car i mean...

Old 04-10-2012, 04:06 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by EvilSelf
I have one more questions for the experts around here. The 08 C4S i am looking at does not have the Sport Chrono Package. I just saw that i feel like i will be missing something..Can you give me more info on this option please?

How much does the option cost so maybe i can bargain with them for lack of it?

Thank you and appreciate your timely help!!!!
Personally, I wouldn't miss the sport chrono, as I don't like the re-mapped throttle, and the timing stuff is so user-unfriendly that I know of nobody that ever uses it. I don't know the cost of the option, but think it was in the $1200 range? I'd focus on what body style you want first, and then what options are critical for you.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:09 PM
marsfire79 is infamous around these parts
coupe and convertible are quite different, so it really depends on what you prefer.

i don't think sport chrono is a big issue - I don't have it in my car and I still love driving it. Besides, you don't have that big clock sticking up from the middle of your dash : )

Old 04-10-2012, 09:12 PM
Sharkys is infamous around these parts
Maintenance between the two is negligible. 2WD is all you need unless you drive in snow, and is lighter. If you like 4WD and or WB, get the C4S. The perfmance difference is debatable. I like the WB, but I could care less for 4WD in California. I like the tail wagging of the C2S. Also, CPO is built into the price up front and cars depreciate. Buy it and drive it like you stole it. A redline a day, keeps the Dr. Away.