997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Guys, buying first Porsche soon. Dream coming true for me but need advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:29 AM
EvilSelf is infamous around these parts
Guys, buying first Porsche soon. Dream coming true for me but need advice?

I have been reading this forum for a while but just signed up. I am about to realize a 23-year-old dream of owning a Porsche. To make the long story short i am looking at 2008 Porsche 911 CS and 2008 911 C4S.

I know the differences between those two cars. I am a big fan of the wider body of the 4CS. Also the CS is a convertible and the C4S is a coupe. I am not big fan of the hump that the cab has, so i am leaning towards the C4S - coupe and wider body.

They both have the same or similar mileage.

Please experts let me know what your thoughts are about these cars - which is faster, which is more expensive to maintain (my guess is C4S)...Anything would do suggestions, heads up etc.....

Thank you very much! I am actually buzzing with excitement i love Porsches i have dreamed of owning one since i was 5 years old.

Thank you!

p.s
I was also looking at 2005 Porsche Turbo S. How would you compare it to the 997 S and 4S? Especially maintenance...

Old 04-10-2012, 11:16 AM
OKB
OKB is infamous around these parts
the difference would be the narrow body car is 2 wheel drive, the 4S is 4 wheel drive. You are getting alot more from the 4S for the money. But a major difference would be to get a 09 + which is the 997.2 with more advanced engine and hp, and alot of updated techology
that would be a big jump

Old 04-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by OKB
the difference would be the narrow body car is 2 wheel drive, the 4S is 4 wheel drive. You are getting alot more from the 4S for the money. But a major difference would be to get a 09 + which is the 997.2 with more advanced engine and hp, and alot of updated techology
that would be a big jump
Thanks! I knew about the major differences between S and a 4S. What could you say about the maintenance? Is it staggeringly more expensive to maintain a 4S rather than an S model?

I am afraid my finances would not allow me to get a 09 S model or 4S for that matter. I wish! But thank you for the heads up about the 997.2 engine specs!

Old 04-10-2012, 11:44 AM
tiyyara is infamous around these parts
I would personally opt for a 997.2 as you get the DFI engine more hp and LED
C4 gets you awd also a plus. Maintenance not much diff between one and the other
Cab vs coupe. I prefer the coupe. I assume over longtime lessoving parts means less trouble

Old 04-10-2012, 12:04 PM
blazinginder is infamous around these parts
I just picked up an 09 C4S and was considering all these factors and options initially...in terms of the car, the resale value will be much better with the 09 than an 08 (only matters if you see yourself possibly selling down the line).

In the end the cost difference between a 08 C4S and a 09 C4S both CPO and low mileage (Under 30k) was around $10k, so it was well worth the facelift, resale value, and mechanical improvements to go with the 09.

I say go with the coupe, depending on what part of the country you live in, convertible may be more usable than others...in NJ there isn't as much use

I would just suggest getting a CPO lower mileage car regardless of which one you pick.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the comments guys!

The cars i am looking at are in the range of 13XXX to 16XXX miles.

I have another issue i need some advice on. The 08 CS4 shows Mileage Inconsistency on the Car Fax.

It is a one owner vehicle and the seller is a respectable Mercedes and Porsche dealership...

Here is some info straight from the CarFax: Should i be worried about it?

09/28/2010

Registration issued or renewed 06/09/2011 16,736 Cabin air filter replaced
Maintenance inspection completed
Instrument cluster reprogrammed
Four wheel alignment performed
Oil and filter changed
MILEAGE INCONSISTENCY
  • The mileage reported here conflicts with this vehicle's odometer history. Ask a mechanic or the seller to confirm the actual mileage - this entry may just be a clerical error.

07/22/2011 9,938

Maintenance inspection completed

Old 04-10-2012, 01:04 PM
alpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of light
I suspect that the Mileage Inconsistency on the CarFax was caused by a dealer service department typing the wrong mileage when some service was done.

Good for you for having two dream cars to choose from! You'll be very happy with either car.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:09 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Well, you asked for comments on a 08 C2s cab vs 08 C4S coupe, and mainly got suggestions to buy a 09 997.2 car.

To answer your question, if you want a coupe, not a cab, and want a wide body, then the answer is simple. I doubt you could measure the difference in repair costs or performance, so buy the one you like the most and then drive it like you stole it. I doubt the carfax discrepancy is more than a clerical error. Can you get a CPO? I would. My CPO has saved me well more than the $2000 cost dealers typically charge.

Good luck in your quest. This part should be fun.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Well, you asked for comments on a 08 C2s cab vs 08 C4S coupe, and mainly got suggestions to buy a 09 997.2 car.

To answer your question, if you want a coupe, not a cab, and want a wide body, then the answer is simple. I doubt you could measure the difference in repair costs or performance, so buy the one you like the most and then drive it like you stole it. I doubt the carfax discrepancy is more than a clerical error. Can you get a CPO? I would. My CPO has saved me well more than the $2000 cost dealers typically charge.

Good luck in your quest. This part should be fun.
Thanks man! I appreciate it and defo get a CPO!

Old 04-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by alpine-al
I suspect that the Mileage Inconsistency on the CarFax was caused by a dealer service department typing the wrong mileage when some service was done.

Good for you for having two dream cars to choose from! You'll be very happy with either car.
Yeah, i thought so too. Thanks for the reply!

Old 04-10-2012, 01:36 PM
ENVē is a jewel in the roughENVē is a jewel in the roughENVē is a jewel in the rough
My stepfather is picking up an 07 C4S cab this weekend. There are pros and cons to both the 997.1 and 997.2 from what I have read. I heard the 997.1 motor is a little stronger but Im not a pro on these cars yet. My stepfather didnt want to spend more than 65-66K so thats another reason he didnt go with an 09.

In the end see which one you like driving better. See which one brings the bigger smile to your face. Im sure the convertible will hold some value as well since its more than just that its also an S model and prob had some extra options thrown on.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by ENVē
My stepfather is picking up an 07 C4S cab this weekend. There are pros and cons to both the 997.1 and 997.2 from what I have read. I heard the 997.1 motor is a little stronger but Im not a pro on these cars yet. My stepfather didnt want to spend more than 65-66K so thats another reason he didnt go with an 09.

In the end see which one you like driving better. See which one brings the bigger smile to your face. Im sure the convertible will hold some value as well since its more than just that its also an S model and prob had some extra options thrown on.
Yeah this is how much is my budget for my car. Thanks for the info!

Old 04-10-2012, 01:59 PM
I have one more questions for the experts around here. The 08 C4S i am looking at does not have the Sport Chrono Package. I just saw that i feel like i will be missing something..Can you give me more info on this option please?

How much does the option cost so maybe i can bargain with them for lack of it?

Thank you and appreciate your timely help!!!!

Old 04-10-2012, 02:01 PM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
Devil's advocate here.
I had an '08 Cab (non- S) and it was a killer vehicle. You don't give up much stiffness at all in the Cab, and unless you're going to be tracking it, you might as well treat yourself to the option of open air motoring. I'd never had a convertible until I bought a Miata at age 32, and after I bought it I couldn't believe I'd missed out on it for all of those years.
Get a Cab.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:01 PM
dastro has a spectacular aura aboutdastro has a spectacular aura about
Owning a C2S Cab and some type of convertible for the last 18 years, I'm a bit biased. Even living in Ohio, there's nothing like open top driving. Wind in your hair, subtle changes in scents in your nose, beautiful exhaust note in your ears, sun hitting your face at wonderful angles, once you own one it's difficult not to. Have you ever met someone who regretted having a cab? Cab all the way.

With the top up, they're incredibly quiet. Maybe not as sharp as non-cab, but you're not following yourself...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Guys, buying first Porsche soon. Dream coming true for me but need advice?