997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

To Double din or not

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 06:46 PM
D-squared is infamous around these partsD-squared is infamous around these parts
The bezel is a darker grey that matches some of the highlights in the cab, including the air conditioning vents, etc. You can get one that is an exact match of your main interior color - I just wanted it to look like this.

I don't have the receipts in front of me right now but in addition to the head unit cost (which is probably around $1500 all told - I took this one from one of my other cars), the fiber optics wiring harness for the Bose system was $495, the dash bezel $95, and then labor if you hire someone to do it, as I did.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:56 PM
chudso is infamous around these parts
If you have sport chrono what functions can you not do with an aftermarket head unit? Can't turn sport mode or stiffer suspension on? Can't turn PSM off? Is that all?

Last edited by chudso; 04-14-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:19 PM
rye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by chudso
If you have sport chrono what functions can you not do with an aftermarket head unit? Can't turn sport mode or stiffer suspension on? Can't turn PSM off? Is that all?
Head unit has nothing to do with the buttons down below for sport mode and shock stiffness. Just things like DRL and sport chrono graphs, which are done on the PCM screen.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:05 AM
D-squared is infamous around these partsD-squared is infamous around these parts
No real loss of functionality

I can still use the chrono from the control stem on the steering wheel (which honestly, I never do). As stated the sports mode and PASM buttons are still there under the nav unit. The only difference seems to be I have no redundant nav information on the little information screen between the instrument dials. That's a trade I'll make any day for a much better head unit.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Silverbullet911 is infamous around these parts
Try this: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...hlight=pioneer

There is no drama as to the replacement of the PCM, a simple process. Make sure that you take it to a very good installer. I simply called my Dealer and ask who did their custom audio work and they refered me to a great guy who does it all day long. Supplied all the gear including the adapter. The total cost was under $2K, but I sold the old gear and the net cost was maybe $500. As for the PCM functions, set every to your preference and then extract. To undersand what PCM and Chrono functions will be missing, start the car and turn off the PCM. What you see is what you get. My thoughts...do the mod.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:39 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
From what I understand you lose the redundant radio station display in the center console. Sounds like there is also some nav info shown there that won't be there after the mod.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:10 PM
rye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by louie007
Thanks i have been looking at this unit Kenwood DNX9980HD expensive but looks like it has everything , any ideas for the instalation kit saw this on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PORSCHE-...-/320629156102 any other company would be a great help .
Btw - if you decide to do it, get the upgraded 9990! I have the 6980, and there's too much lag when interacting with the interface. Kenwood has upgraded the processors in the xx90 units, and the problems are resolved. My supplier actually offered to swap my unit for the 90, which is awesome.

I did all the work myself - it's a bit complex in there, but all doable.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:03 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rye595
Btw - if you decide to do it, get the upgraded 9990! I have the 6980, and there's too much lag when interacting with the interface. Kenwood has upgraded the processors in the xx90 units, and the problems are resolved. My supplier actually offered to swap my unit for the 90, which is awesome.

I did all the work myself - it's a bit complex in there, but all doable.
+1 on this. The only reason I didn't order the 9980HD was the interface lag and the startup time, because otherwise it's a nice unit. The 9990HD should be super fast, but for some reason, Kenwood removed voice recognition for GPS destination, which is something I wanted. So I ended up ordering a Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT - the interface looks a bit dated, but it's snappy and it still has speech recognition navi (the Z140BH does not).

Old 04-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Nice! Is it in yet? Curious to hear your thoughts. I much prefer the pioneer user-interface, but my stereo guy was adamant about going with Kenwood. He said the sound quality is significantly better, and he thinks Pioneer has had too many general quality issues in the past couple of years. But I still kind of wish I had gone Pioneer. Tough call - none of them are perfect.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:55 PM
4dr-360 is infamous around these parts
hmmm, a Q on the DD.....if you replace the PSM with aftermarket, what do you do regarding disabling the hydraulic part wing if we change to GT3 or similar fixed style wing?

After reading these posts I thought, "what if I do the Alpine upgrade, then what about putting on the GT3 kit with fixed wing???" Any thoughts/input?

Old 04-17-2012, 03:49 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
What wiring harness is needed and where to get one? Does it make the Porsche splash screen appear?

Originally Posted by D-squared
The bezel is a darker grey that matches some of the highlights in the cab, including the air conditioning vents, etc. You can get one that is an exact match of your main interior color - I just wanted it to look like this.

I don't have the receipts in front of me right now but in addition to the head unit cost (which is probably around $1500 all told - I took this one from one of my other cars), the fiber optics wiring harness for the Bose system was $495, the dash bezel $95, and then labor if you hire someone to do it, as I did.

Old 07-28-2021, 10:21 PM
robmandeville143 is infamous around these parts
I have the CAMECHO 7 which is easy to install. Boot time is pretty fast compared to other similar items. Screen resolution is very sharp. Touch very well. The Bluetooth connection is perfect. Very nice sound. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatible. The only hard part was getting it to mirror link thru the usb cable. The radio's manufacturer gave me a vague hint on what to do. Download an app called "USB debugging". Thru that I was able to get my Android 7 phone to mirror link with the Camacho deck.

Last edited by robmandeville143; 08-03-2021 at 07:16 AM.