997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Front Plate - Magnets?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 10:44 AM
spyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the rough
The only place I've gotten a front license plate ticket in the past 7 years I have been back in LA (and 2 of my 3 cars don't have them) is at LAX central parking. I must have had a dozen of them before I relented and put a plate on the car. Hence why my BMW now has a front plate since I travel a lot for business and park there if not flying from SNA (who doesn't patrol, especially the Valet lot).

Most cops won't bother, but the LA parking patrol will.... I like the magnet idea. Slap it on when parking in LA, off when not.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:42 PM
stronbl has a spectacular aura aboutstronbl has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by neotorque
Anyone have any experience with this? No endorsement, just the first result when I just googled no drill license plate holder... The 997 example looks passable enough.

http://skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml
This is the solution I use with a couple minor modifications. I went with Skenedesign since I could also place my plate exactly where I wanted it - horizontally and vertically. I just liked the flexibility versus the more limited positioning of the tow-hook mount.

You do have to drill holes, but they are underneath and not visible so you have a clean front bumper if you remove the brackets. My initial modification was to permanently mount threaded holes so I can unbolt and re-bolt the brackets. I was concerned the self tapping screws would eventually strip their original holes if I did a lot of on-off's of the license plate. I also added a couple strips of weather stripping to the verticle braces so they would not scratch the bumper paint should they get pushed into the bumper due to a minor bump. They seem to be pretty solid too as I have had no issues at the track and at track speeds.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:07 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
I have a tow hook license plate holder. Works for me and is a lot easier to install and remove. Mine is from US Mill Works, here is a video from them on installation:

Old 05-25-2012, 06:59 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
A buddy of mine uses a different solution (NJ plates) -- high quality color photocopy/ laminated sticker of the license plate that hugs the bumper. Not sure if or where it's acceptable instead of the actual license plate but it's cheap, has no holes, stays on very strong, and easy to install and reverse. Downside is I imagine the sticker may strip the clearcoat or paint after some time.

BTW, very timely thread for me -- picking up the new P-car this afternoon (details to follow!) and was debating whether to drill the plate in or not.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:51 PM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KonaKai
A buddy of mine uses a different solution (NJ plates) -- high quality color photocopy/ laminated sticker of the license plate that hugs the bumper. Not sure if or where it's acceptable instead of the actual license plate but it's cheap, has no holes, stays on very strong, and easy to install and reverse. Downside is I imagine the sticker may strip the clearcoat or paint after some time.

BTW, very timely thread for me -- picking up the new P-car this afternoon (details to follow!) and was debating whether to drill the plate in or not.
Where did he get vinyl stickers done?

Looking forward to the details on the P-car!

Old 05-25-2012, 05:15 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
The decal front plates are a really cool idea however locally where I live (Vancouver,B.C.) those stick on decal/license plates....get's you a ticket.....NO questions asked!
So I would check your local laws.....

Stacy

Old 05-26-2012, 05:46 AM
griffinto is infamous around these parts
[QUOTE=DoninDEN;3552920]I have a tow hook license plate holder. Works for me and is a lot easier to install and remove. Mine is from US Mill Works, here is a video from them on installation:

Same here.....

Old 05-26-2012, 11:49 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Where did he get vinyl stickers done?

Looking forward to the details on the P-car!
I only see hi around the track but will ask for you next time! i think it's the kind of thing you can try at Kinkos or better yet a specialty printer. For $10 trial and error ain't so bad...

New ride is 991S coupe with PDCC, Sport Chrono etc. Picked her up yesterday and had about 250 miles of driving so far. I will post extensive pics and thoughts once I gather them.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:11 AM
CDinSing is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by stronbl
This is the solution I use with a couple minor modifications. I went with Skenedesign since I could also place my plate exactly where I wanted it - horizontally and vertically. I just liked the flexibility versus the more limited positioning of the tow-hook mount.
What size mount fits the 991? Went to order and found no 991 listing on their site. Since my car doesn't arrive for three weeks, it is hard to go out and measure...still want to order one before the dealer drills any holes!

Old 05-29-2012, 09:39 AM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
I have the US mills tow hook adapter as well, works like a charm.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:55 PM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by CDinSing
What size mount fits the 991? Went to order and found no 991 listing on their site. Since my car doesn't arrive for three weeks, it is hard to go out and measure...still want to order one before the dealer drills any holes!
I just checked and it is listed there for the 991 ... I might order one for mine ...