997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Front Plate - Magnets?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:46 PM
mxflash is infamous around these parts
Front Plate - Magnets?

Hi all,

Just bought my first Porsche, 2009 C4S Cab. Got it shipped to me from a state that has no front plate law. I looked at several of the suggestions in another thread, but wonder if anyone has had any success with rare earth magnets?

My previous car was an Audi S4, and I duct taped several rare earth magnets behind a trim piece on the front bumper, and corresponding magnets to the plate. From there it was just stick on, stick off.

Has anyone had any luck doing the same on a 911?

Thanks!

Old 04-13-2012, 03:51 AM
kkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nice
definitely subscribed...

Old 04-13-2012, 06:12 AM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Old 04-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
So when it falls off or someone walks off with it, what's plan B ? Plenty of other options that are more secure and don't require any drilling into the bumper. The mounts that use the front tow hook location are a good option and are a whole lot less work to install than the example of the magnetic plate holder above.

Last edited by Dadio; 04-13-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:31 AM
mxflash is infamous around these parts
Yeah, that's beyond my ability. On the audi it was super easy.

As for falling off, it never did, though usually I just put it on when it was parked somewhere it would get a ticket without (airport, chiefly). For whatever reason, cops here don't really pull you over for that, but parking ticket folks hit it with a hammer. And it seems easier to pop on and off than the other solutions, but may not be achievable for me.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
I have a 997 C2S and currently doing a magnetic plate holder. I'm using 30lbs rare earth magnets because I didn't feel the ones used in the link posted above were strong enough. I'm using JB Weld Kwik

Old 04-13-2012, 04:53 PM
schneids11 is infamous around these parts
I still have my temp tags but I'm a little worried about the parking patrol in LA. The dealer told me about a rubber plate holder that mounts inside the front hatch that you can pull out when you are parked. Seems like this would be a good idea for the airport. Anyone have any experience with this product?

Old 04-13-2012, 07:30 PM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
All of you front plate states need to get your state to approve a Euro style plate as an extra option for your car. They make extra money & you are happy by running front & rear Euro plates. Win Win.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:36 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dadio
So when it falls off or someone walks off with it, what's plan B ? Plenty of other options that are more secure and don't require any drilling into the bumper. The mounts that use the front tow hook location are a good option and are a whole lot less work to install than the example of the magnetic plate holder above.
Originally Posted by Johnny DB
I have a 997 C2S and currently doing a magnetic plate holder. I'm using 30lbs rare earth magnets because I didn't feel the ones used in the link posted above were strong enough. I'm using JB Weld Kwik
The magnets were tested to 220 km/hr.....and there were NO signs of any type of rubbing from movement(coming off)!
Yes there are a lot easier options...As far as stealing your plate IF they want your plate...they will get it!I also don't like the tow hook idea because the plate is off centre and looks unbalanced,IMO.

BUT that is just my $.02 and why I did it....

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 04-13-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justatoy
The magnets were tested to 220 km/hr.....and there were NO signs of any type of rubbing from movement(coming off)!
Yes there are a lot easier options...As far as stealing your plate IF they want your plate...they will get it!I also don't like the tow hook idea because the plate is off centre and looks unbalanced,IMO.

BUT that is just my $.02 and why I did it....

Stacy
Stacy,

I tried using 1/2" (9lbs) rare earth magnets from LV and tried to place them exactly where you had yours but felt that I could take the holder off the bumper way too easily. I then added 2 more 1/2" magnets just below the original 3 magnets. Again, slightly better hold but nothing that would convince me that it would stay. I've got 3, 1" (30lbs) magnets JB welded to the plate holder and will likely add 2 more. I'm also using the magnet cups from LV to try and better direct the magnetic field towards the mating magnet.

J

Old 04-18-2012, 02:39 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
How do you keep the magents from scratching the paint. I know back in the day with the magnet mount cb antennas would kill the paint in a few months.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:54 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
fyi

i haven't put on the front plates... yet

so far, i've gotten one ticket when i was parked at a golf course. (who the hell checks the front plates at a GC parking lot ? )

my previous car, i got one no-front-plate ticket in three years.

just saying..

Old 04-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by function12
How do you keep the magents from scratching the paint. I know back in the day with the magnet mount cb antennas would kill the paint in a few months.
I'm going to use friction pads on the magnets and I also have 3M shield on the front. Stacy mentionned that he did not notice any scratches or any marks on the front of his...

Old 05-23-2012, 09:26 AM
The inside of my bumper with 5x 30lb magnets and steel cups.

Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2012, 10:41 AM
neotorque is infamous around these partsneotorque is infamous around these parts
Anyone have any experience with this? No endorsement, just the first result when I just googled no drill license plate holder... The 997 example looks passable enough.

http://skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front Plate - Magnets?