997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Anyone here with contacts at Porsche?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 10:39 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
That is a terrible situation to be in. When I bought my first 997C2S, the local dealer didn't get me in for warranty work quickly, as it was brought in from the USA. I took my car to the dealer across the border to a dealer in the USA a few times, they have now changed there position, as the independents were taking all the service.

Is there a independent in your area that you can talk to? Much of the servicing on these cars are fairly straight forward and easy to do. This forum and others have lots of DIY threads.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:05 AM
GOB
GOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud of
The best Porsche mechanic in the country is in fact an independent. He used to be the head mechanic at the dealership for over 10 years and has gotten all the factory training up to and including 997s, but he doesn't have a PIWIS tool. He has another that can reset some warnings and read some codes, but even him tells me that there are some things (not sure which exactly) that can only be done with special tools/equipment only available at the local dealer. Driving to a nearby country for service is simply not an option. Oh well, just one of the many things I have to put up with by living here. Trust me, the advantages of living here far outweigh the negatives such as this relatively small situation.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:26 PM
GOB
GOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud of
Final update: as per the suggestion from the sales manager for the region, I called the brand manager earlier this morning. Left a message with his secretary only to receive a call back from the head technician instead.

This person informed me that if I were to present all of the proper paperwork used to import the car, that then they would in fact service the car! Wait.... Once paperwork is presented and they have had a chance to inspect the papers and approve them, then it requires a PPI (±$500) to determine how much they will charge me for the privilege of allowing the car into their shop. The amount will only be determined once the PPI is done. All I was told that it could be "well into the thousands". In other words, they can ask an absurd amount and that is their way out of not servicing. Once I replied that might as well buy my own PIWIS and go into partnership with the ex head mechanic, his tone quickly changed and said "let's work something out".

Few minutes later the brand manager called me and confirmed what the current head mechanic told me. We spoke a bit further and at the end of the day, I obtained a lead for a car so I could potentially buy it without the intervention of the dealership (think close to 40% markup), so we shall see what ends up happening.

Again, I must applaud Porsche Latin America for picking up the phone and calling the local dealer and getting such a quick response (albeit a somewhat ambiguous one).

Old 04-13-2012, 04:26 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Sounds to me like a great business opportunity for someone to get in the business of servicing Porsche cars. They could get parts from several sources in the US or Europe ( Belgium ) I am sure !! Good luck!