997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Lapse in sanity-almost traded in P car!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 12:28 AM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
Lapse in sanity-almost traded in P car!

Woke up from another mid life crisis of late. I almost made a mistake I surely would have regretted. I bought a 2009 Carrera C2 black on black, new at end of 09 model year. Car has 19" S wheels which I had powdercoated black, touch screen, power seats, bose, bluetooth, PDK, sports chrono..tinted windows and rear lights ...murdered out and looking great. Had a SS tubi exhaust installed a couple of years ago.........love it! Have a work car so it sits under a cover on a charger in my garage mostly- 10,600 miles in almost 3 years.............
Don't know why, I've considered a new Camaro ZL1, and after deciding there are too many Camaros on the road tro differentiate ZL1, I looked into the Corvette ZR1 (IMHO- cheap interior and lacking in quality)..I looked at and almost went for a new 2013 Nissan GTR....
On paper, its the most ferocious vehicle ever, can go up against anything, insane specs and performance..............I almost got caught up and went through trade in number for my P car and was set to take delivery of the BLACK EDITION black GTR sitting on local dealers showroom floor.

Wife and friends told me I was crazy and would regret my decision............Had weird feeling...not all NISSAN dealers are capable of servicing the GTR......And, did I really want to take this high priced machine to a NISSAN dealer where the cars are ho hum at best........Showrooms are plain, customers walking in were not what I'm used to seeing in a Porsche or Lexus dealership.....mostly econo cars, cheap and low rate cheesy salesmen. Also couldn't help thinking the GTR reminded me of a 300ZX, a Mitsubishi 3000GT or a Supra.................I realized as I left dealer in my mint 997.2, as good as Japanese cars may be for reliability, there is no comparison IMHO to German craftsmanship and engineering. I enjoyed my drive home and drovbe alittle more spirited than normal, slicing the winding roads with the precision of Porsche heritage.

A neighbor of mine, who is a Doctor and 30 year 911 turbo owner said, the difference between a Porsche and a Corvette or muscle car is like comparing a scalpel top a chainsaw.

Even the salesman said to me...."The GTR is a supercar you'll hardly ever see on the road.............do you really want to pull into a hospityal parking lot and see all the Porsches in Doctors parking spaces?

I kinda thought "Yes, I do." What 52 year old guy buys a six figure Nissan? To me, its a car for someone who has the luxury of a few cars, no comparison to the heritage of Porsche.

Just relaying my experience, glad to be reunited with my almost traded P car.............. Will not make that mistake again............................................. .................................................. .

Old 04-19-2012, 12:45 AM
arash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to behold
Awesome story.

He who trades his Porsche for a Nissan deserves what he drives!

Old 04-19-2012, 04:48 AM
blazinginder is infamous around these parts
^ +1 glad you decide to keep the car...GTR are super nice, but I wouldn't buy one for lot of the reasons you mentioned, except it'd be a mid midlife crisis for me (24) lol

Old 04-19-2012, 04:55 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
check with us before you do anything because we have to keep an eye on you, LOL!

Old 04-19-2012, 06:45 AM
jordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant future
I wish the corvette division would get with the program. A new interior and the Z06 would be hard to beat. Around as long as the 911 (longer) it deserves it's place on the top shelf. If they would only hire some European interior designers...

Old 04-19-2012, 09:34 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Who's the girl on the cowboy hat? DD

Old 04-19-2012, 11:48 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jordanpryce
I wish the corvette division would get with the program. A new interior and the Z06 would be hard to beat. Around as long as the 911 (longer) it deserves it's place on the top shelf. If they would only hire some European interior designers...

then the price would jump and it might not be such a good choice.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
Originally Posted by robfxlr
I kinda thought "Yes, I do." What 52 year old guy buys a six figure Nissan? To me, its a car for someone who has the luxury of a few cars, no comparison to the heritage of Porsche.
again............................................. .................................................. .

This says it all. Amen.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:46 PM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
Old 04-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Forujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to all
Did you get to take a test drive?

Old 04-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice

lol!

Old 04-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Michaelwww is a jewel in the roughMichaelwww is a jewel in the roughMichaelwww is a jewel in the rough
I do like a happy ending!

Old 04-20-2012, 09:32 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
No wonder the car is so fast,... it uses one of them new-fangled "Spontaneous Combustion" Engines!! (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)